Ultra limited edition of Afro Samurai on UK DVD now

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
An ultra limited edition (individually numbered) of Afro Samurai has been quietly launched on UK DVD. <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Afro-Samurai-Numbered-Exclusive-Amazon-co-uk/dp/B000RJMJ1C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-1366106-4787636?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184253013&sr=8-1">It's an exclusive to Amazon.co.uk</a> and will see you take home all five episodes for RRP &pound;15.99 along with five "collectable art cards". Take a look at Amazon for more information.

It seems to be selling well it's in the top 200 top sellers so I imagine once it get's released generally in HMV and stuff it could perform well and encourage Bravo to invest in more anime.

I got somebody to record this for me off of Bravo and I can't really say I thought much of it. I'm sure people will love the mindlessness of it all though.

It's a shame that such crap like this gets a special edition and sells so well only because it's partly American. If only they knew the truth... IF ONLY!

I don't get why Afro Samurai gets all this criticism becuase if it was successful it could lead to more anime on UK tv.

Granted it's not the best anime but many side stories were cut out the Manga, which in my view would be to allow a second series. As said isn't it encouraging that it is selling well on Amazon which could mean it was successful and open the door for more anime.

Then why criticise something that might bring more anime to UK tv.

J_C_X said:
Granted it's not the best anime but many side stories were cut out the Manga, which in my view would be to allow a second series. As said isn't it encouraging that it is selling well on Amazon which could mean it was successful and open the door for more anime.

Then why criticise something that might bring more anime to UK tv.
Sure, it's nice that it could create more interest. But I'm not going to say "actually I think it's awesome because even though it wasn't very good it created lots of interest!"
Creating interest is secondary. Regadless of whatever effects it may eventually have, it's the actual quality of the thing itself that I'm concerned with. And poor quality still equals poor quality.

I recieved the DVD today, I don't care what people think I enjoyed this series.

The special features are a bit lacking however the previews are interesting I noticed that all of the trailers seem aimed at a mainstream crowd i.e the Bravo audience, it looks like GONZO seem intent on getting their shows on UK TV.

Of course they've gonna try and get this particular show onto western TV, that's who the show is aimed it. Seems a bit silly to me if they were to make a show for the west and not promote it for that.

Samurai Jack >>>>>>>>>>>> Afro Samurai

That said, I know plenty of people who never gave anime a try who loved this and have since started watching other things, so as far as I'm concerned it's a good thing.

Afro will be repeated on Bravo again in October... possibly even back to back as one long movie.

The price at amazon.co.uk has also dropped to £9.99 and I read somewhere there's only a few Limited Edition DVD's available now... I managed to find a signed copy at auction on ebay, it was snapped up for £42... It was the number 6 copy!

Also I noticed a few of you mention that it lacked depth... Afro Samurai is the first Anime to have ever had a production budget of $1,000,000 per episode... they only commissioned a 5 episode series to see if it was successful or not. Now try cutting down the original Manga story into 5 episodes... seeing that's all that could be done.

I liked afro samurai. I don't think its a masterpiece by any means but when you want to see a good no brainer piece of animation then it fits the bill perfectly. I don't really class it as an anime as it was a joint venture with a host of american companies but i appreciate it as a good piece of animation.

Yeah I think the some 2000 people (animators included) who work for GONZO in Tokyo will be a bit upset that their work isn't considered Anime just because the show became semi-western.

But hey... opinions roll, its definitely a unique project... one which probably would have been better as a movie but hey... it's a TV Series and is trying to capture a broader market. If Anime is going to grow in the UK, it won't be from shows that have the traditional Jap-Anime storylines and style, but rather the ones that stretch themselves to different fields... such as Afro Samurai is broadening out into a more American/Hip-Hop way, though still keeping itself an Anime.

Afro Samurai said:
Yeah I think the some 2000 people (animators included) who work for GONZO in Tokyo will be a bit upset that their work isn't considered Anime just because the show became semi-western.

But hey... opinions roll, its definitely a unique project... one which probably would have been better as a movie but hey... it's a TV Series and is trying to capture a broader market. If Anime is going to grow in the UK, it won't be from shows that have the traditional Jap-Anime storylines and style, but rather the ones that stretch themselves to different fields... such as Afro Samurai is broadening out into a more American/Hip-Hop way, though still keeping itself an Anime.

I think anime news network has a great article on the creative process of Afro Samurai, and I think Takashi Okazaki won't be pleased if you don't think it's a Manga.

Back