UKA post their annual anime awards

The conversations I was referring to in my previous post were with a couple of students of Chinese descent, so I don't necessarily know that all of the young pirating anime-fans would subscribe to the ideas of cultural imperialism, verging on flat-out racism, that you're suggesting. (For example, one talked about trying to improve their Chinese reading skills as Chinese translations of manga often appeared faster than English translations.) Though I appreciate many others probably do subscribe to those viewpoints without even really thinking about it. Clearly it's rather misguided, as the foreignness of it all is probably part of the appeal for most of them.

I get the impression mostly from the fan art world, which is sort of similar in some ways (except without so much of an industry feel). Western artists on Tumblr and Twitter will stop at nothing to defend westerners from 'art theft' but as soon as it's a Japanese artist's Pixiv account being pillaged or a doujinshi scan, everyone seems to turn a blind eye and hit the Share or Download buttons as quickly as they can; the warnings begging people not to share are in Japanese or non-native English so clearly, they don't actually matter. Consequently, Japanese artists often privately view western fans as a massive mob of thieving jerks, and there isn't even any excuse about saving money in most cases - people just mirror strangers' entire Pixiv accounts onto Booru sites without asking for their own personal convenience or ego. It's embarrassing.

I don't purport to know the cultural background of your contacts but mainland China has its own massive problems with respecting the intellectual property of others, especially anime/manga creators. I spent some time there millions of years ago in my youth and legitimate Japanese imports were treated like contraband, while you could buy every kind of fake product imaginable on the high street. Having said that, one of my Chinese acquaintances is just as bad about pirating Chinese-made products - though again, this is a problem of availability exactly like the one you describe with anime streaming. This person's native language is Mandarin but there's barely any up to date content in that language available here other than a few sappy movies on DVD, while Chinese broadcasters lock their official streams away to majority-Chinese countries. Leaving her with nothing, which naturally makes ignoring the law a habit, rather than a special occasion. It's dumb and difficult to defend. There are so many people in the UK with English as their second or third language yet so few channels/websites legitimately serving those people with legal content of interest, and even with anime streaming many sites fail to acknowledge that offering access to non-English streams is useful, screwing over anyone who happens to be travelling and more fluent in French or Spanish than reading English subtitles. The entire world is dumb about media distribution.

(Mega off topic now but it will be interesting to see whether the recent swell in anime projects of Chinese origin has any effect on the 'value' of anime in the local Chinese market; so far I've not really enjoyed the titles in question but a breakout hit could be a cool collaboration.)

This season is a bit of a fail for the general anime-viewing audience overall from what I've seen. Koro-sensei Q is apparently region locked and based on a series which probably has little legal simulcast traction as it was Animaxed for ages, and Fate/Grand Order felt way less interesting than even UBW (which I didn't like) since it was pitched more at the hardcore Type-Moon lot than general anime viewers. I can't really fault Crunchyroll in this specific case as the winter season seems like a big heap of shows aimed at male otaku with slim pickings for anyone else, but the lack of those quality long-running and catalogue shows is definitely a major problem. Most of the posters I see signing up for Crunchyroll for the first time are shocked at the poor showing from our local distributors on the catalogue side in particular; I only use it for simulcasts but if the viewers want their anime streamed rather than physical - or to at least be able to sample catalogue shows before they buy - they're going to have to be catered for at some point or they will leave.

R

I get the impression mostly from the fan art world, which is sort of similar in some ways (except without so much of an industry feel). Western artists on Tumblr and Twitter will stop at nothing to defend westerners from 'art theft' but as soon as it's a Japanese artist's Pixiv account being pillaged or a doujinshi scan, everyone seems to turn a blind eye and hit the Share or Download buttons as quickly as they can; the warnings begging people not to share are in Japanese or non-native English so clearly, they don't actually matter. Consequently, Japanese artists often privately view western fans as a massive mob of thieving jerks, and there isn't even any excuse about saving money in most cases - people just mirror strangers' entire Pixiv accounts onto Booru sites without asking for their own personal convenience or ego. It's embarrassing.

If a site:
- links to the source of the image
- credits the original artist
- will stop hosting an artist's works if requested by the artist and even ban users who continue to routinely upload their works
then is there really a problem?

I know it's against Pixiv's terms of service, but there are plenty of artists who like their art being publicised in this way, and the whole concept of a booru would break down if we manually requested every single picture that we upload.

I'm asking this as someone who uploads a fair amount of Pixiv stuff to Danbooru. I personally will never add a new artist's works to the site if they request in their profile that it isn't uploaded (and I know I'm far from alone in this) and if I came across an artist whose art was already on Danbooru request their works to not be rehosted then I would contact them to let them know how to get their art banned if they want to.

A site like that really is a far cry from someone posting someone else's art on another site or on blogs or forums without any sort of credit. I can't speak for other boorus as I don't use them.

Incidentally, I know that quite a lot of scans of magazines and stuff get added to the site as well (about 1.5% of the site is tagged with "scan" - although this includes stuff that was scanned by the artist rather than the uploader) and personally I'd rather they weren't, but at the end of the day there's not much I can do about that other than not uploading them myself, and indeed the vast majority of these are added by only a handful of people.

What's a booru?

A site that collects, (re)hosts, archives and catalogues large amounts of art. There are lots of them out there with different ones focusing on different things (eg. danbooru, which was the original one and took its name from the Japanese word for a cardboard box, focuses on high quality anime/video game-related or anime-style art)

Sorry, I strongly disagree but I'll try to explain why in lengthy and exhaustive detail.

If a site:
- links to the source of the image
- credits the original artist
- will stop hosting an artist's works if requested by the artist and even ban users who continue to routinely upload their works
then is there really a problem?

Yes. You're forcing the responsibility for monitoring and policing their own content onto individual fan artists with negligible English skills, and it happens even if they explicitly post warnings begging people not to do it in English (my favourite is the impassioned 'unauthorized copying dries the bones of artists', which is, of course, completely ignored by enough sharers to break my heart).

Linking to the source is an order of magnitude less awful than sharing works uncredited, of course, or passing them off as your own (why do some people do this?) but it still presents the following issues:
  • The artist receives no feedback at all. Many of them will never, ever find out their work was even shared if you didn't bother asking for permission, so they will never know anyone liked it.
  • While linking to the source may drive traffic to their page, for a lot of casual image browsers it takes traffic away by making the Boorus popular and Pixiv less popular. This is bad for artists.
  • The artist is unable to tag and add context to the image themselves. Offensive or incorrect (to them) tags may be added instead. To use a silly example, a Seme x Uke image might be incorrectly attributed as an Uke x Seme image. No big deal to the uploader, annoying to the fan who spent 18 solid hours drawing and colouring the piece in the first place.
  • The artist cannot make changes if they notice an actual mistake because they aren't the one in 'control' of the image any more.
  • If the original image is problematic in some way, not being able to take it down or see where it's shared might harm their future employment or real life in some way (particularly a problem with images casually shared on Twitter and deleted later - too late).
  • The artist can upload their work to the Booru themselves if they wanted it there in the first place. Why not educate them about this rather than speaking for them?
  • The artist cannot permanently take the work down without navigating a bunch of gibberish English-biased rules about claiming work.
  • From my experience, a lot of sites ignore takedown requests anyway. Only one of my Japanese friends has ever managed it without me stepping in to help and moan at the right people, and she's the most determined person I have ever met.
  • Someone else will just upload it even if it is removed and even if the original uploader is banned.
  • Every second the artist spends doing all of this is time they aren't spending relaxing or drawing more work.
  • It's demoralising.
  • Artists actively and constantly complain about art theft in both English and Japanese, but only western artists seem to be allowed to have these opinions taken seriously by fellow fans (and even then those requests are ignored by other fans).
Why isn't the onus on the takers - the Booru uploaders - rather than the people creating the work? I understand that it takes time to send a pre-written request (or even a suggestion) to the artists rather than just going ahead and taking the work without permission, but it pales in comparison to the time spent drawing even the most simple pencil sketch. If a Booru cannot survive without art theft then I don't personally care if it doesn't survive. My opinion.

I appreciate that you personally try to inject some responsibility into the cycle but the viewers and uploaders generally treat (mostly) Japanese artists as fan art-producing machines with no personal agendas of their own, incapable of marketing their own hard work but desperate for it to spread. I think this is morally wrong.

A Rui post wouldn't be complete without some personal anecdotes, even though I think I've mentioned one before. A long time ago, I created a Pixiv account and uploaded one picture I drew on a tablet. It wasn't a very good picture, but it got a few ratings (no comments) and I was ok with that. One day, a friend recognised it on a large Booru and linked me to it. It was uploaded without my permission and had been gathering comments and hits I'd never known about for months. That day, I deleted my Pixiv account. The world will never see Rui's amazing artwork again. While I will be the first to admit that this isn't a huge loss to anyone, actual artists with skill delete their accounts or posting history in frustration all of the time. Or set their Twitter accounts to private, delete foreign followers and moan about everyone in secret. It's a serious problem. All because one person couldn't be bothered to ask for permission or draw their own fan art. They're people, not machines. The fact that a few might like the exposure doesn't invalidate the unhappiness of those who don't.

Another anecdote; I used to write a lot of content and post it online. Again, it would get shared and nobody would tell me. I would find early versions of my articles on Tumblr, Wikis and other peoples' blogs by playing detective and Googling my content or checking analytics if they had bothered to link back and anyone had bothered to click the source (very few do!) but getting anyone to update their copies of my work with corrections or adjustments was bally impossible, and in the end I had to sign up to Tumblr, Wikia and the like and spend time policing my own content all the time and re-posting it on sites I didn't even want to re-post it on at all just to stop other people from doing it and getting thousands of likes and comments for a 10-second copy/paste exercise. It became a hassle to keep updating multiple versions of my articles and I realised it was easier not to bother sharing anything I made at all in the first place. So I stopped. People still email me asking why I don't write any more. I recognise some of their names as sharers. They won't understand.

So this stuff really bothers me, and I have enough personal experience of how annoying it is to completely identify with the artists who complain when they spend a month working on a piece only to see it spread like wildfire without anyone . Heck, even if nobody else comments on it and they might say no to the request, asking for permission is great feedback to them that someone out there is enjoying what they're putting out. It's encouragement. Fan artists don't get paid in money, but in reactions, so robbing them of that is the same as taking away actual revenue from anime companies. I hate it.

R

Last edited:
I don't purport to know the cultural background of your contacts but mainland China has its own massive problems with respecting the intellectual property of others, especially anime/manga creators. I spent some time there millions of years ago in my youth and legitimate Japanese imports were treated like contraband, while you could buy every kind of fake product imaginable on the high street. Having said that, one of my Chinese acquaintances is just as bad about pirating Chinese-made products - though again, this is a problem of availability exactly like the one you describe with anime streaming. This person's native language is Mandarin but there's barely any up to date content in that language available here other than a few sappy movies on DVD, while Chinese broadcasters lock their official streams away to majority-Chinese countries. Leaving her with nothing, which naturally makes ignoring the law a habit, rather than a special occasion. It's dumb and difficult to defend.
There is a similar service to Crunchyroll, albeit much more selective in what it acquires, called Viki. (They used to host Tezuka anime series, so you may have heard of them.) They don't really seem to promote their service and it does focus on k-drama, but it definitely exists.

I don't know, because their website is absolute pants in the UK, but I think Drama Fever may have some too.

There are so many people in the UK with English as their second or third language yet so few channels/websites legitimately serving those people with legal content of interest, and even with anime streaming many sites fail to acknowledge that offering access to non-English streams is useful, screwing over anyone who happens to be travelling and more fluent in French or Spanish than reading English subtitles. The entire world is dumb about media distribution.
In the case of anime, it's legally difficult. Japanese contracts will specific both language and territory. So you don't buy UK & Irish rights, you buy English rights for the UK & Ireland. And you're up to the whims of the licensor as to whether they're friendly enough to share. Sometimes they are (Sunrise let AL share masters with Nozomi for Rec G, so the US release also includes French subs) and sometimes they aren't (Manga was forced to reauthor Death Note, seemingly because of the multiple dubs and subs Viz's release contained).

Some German distributors try and make a habit of including subtitles in the original language. Unfortunately, it tends to only be Western content for which they can clear the rights to do so.

(Mega off topic now but it will be interesting to see whether the recent swell in anime projects of Chinese origin has any effect on the 'value' of anime in the local Chinese market; so far I've not really enjoyed the titles in question but a breakout hit could be a cool collaboration.)

I think the answer is undoubtedly, yes, regardless of whether Tencent is successful or not.

There was a story last year about how the Chinese government, normally staunchly opposed to Korean drama, had relaxed it's rules for Descendants of the Sun because it reportedly had some Chinese investment behind it. So theoretically at least, the more anime Tencent backs the more accessible the medium is likely to become. (Though Tencent does also stream anime it doesn't back and has been the source for a few episode count leaks.)

This season is a bit of a fail for the general anime-viewing audience overall from what I've seen. Koro-sensei Q is apparently region locked and based on a series which probably has little legal simulcast traction as it was Animaxed for ages, and Fate/Grand Order felt way less interesting than even UBW (which I didn't like) since it was pitched more at the hardcore Type-Moon lot than general anime viewers. I can't really fault Crunchyroll in this specific case as the winter season seems like a big heap of shows aimed at male otaku with slim pickings for anyone else, but the lack of those quality long-running and catalogue shows is definitely a major problem. Most of the posters I see signing up for Crunchyroll for the first time are shocked at the poor showing from our local distributors on the catalogue side in particular; I only use it for simulcasts but if the viewers want their anime streamed rather than physical - or to at least be able to sample catalogue shows before they buy - they're going to have to be catered for at some point or they will leave.

R

As, let's be honest, is every season. I've still only seen two shows from last season, and there's maybe only 2 more of any interest to me. If I wasn't currently trying to catch up with Gintama, I'd have been tempted to knock off my Crunchyroll subscription for this season and subside off my DVD/BD backlog, because as far as I can tell, it's a dry barren wasteland where the one show I was really interested in isn't accessible in the UK and the other one that vaguely caught my eye is ****. (I tried Chain Chronicles, but it seemed to start half-way through the story. I genuinely had to check I hadn't started the wrong episode.)

Without being rude to them, Crunchyroll's service is probably a lot poorer, and a lot more niche than we care to realise. And this quite frankly stupid idea they have that the rest of the world is almost to be pitied and they should be salivating for any scraps of catalogue they throw to them is holding them back. Miles Thomas, when people were upset the UK got 1 of 4 catalogue acquisitions, genuinely replied "isn't this a pretty significant addition to the UK catalog?". Which would seem to me, to be rather damning about the company's attitude towards international catalogue.

And part of the issue is that the American audience is willing to excuse anything Crunchyroll does to it's international audience, because it's good to them. Let's get this absolutely clear... It is not our job to give a **** about licensing difficulties! Licensing difficulties may explain Crunchyroll's lack of catalogue content, but it certainly doesn't excuse it.

There is a similar service to Crunchyroll, albeit much more selective in what it acquires, called Viki. (They used to host Tezuka anime series, so you may have heard of them.) They don't really seem to promote their service and it does focus on k-drama, but it definitely exists.

I don't know, because their website is absolute pants in the UK, but I think Drama Fever may have some too.

I used to use Viki; they originally tried to position themselves in a really fabulous niche where they would license anime untranslated and support the community adding their own subtitles in any number of languages, correcting and quality controlling the subtitling live within the community. Basically, they tried legalising fansubs, in a sense, and invited the community to put its money where its mouth was and subtitle for the love of anime itself. Quite a few of us enjoyed working on it. Everyone moaned though because contributors weren't being paid and then they started region locking and switched focuses almost exclusively to drama, which sucked. I lost interest when some drama I wanted to see was region locked away :(

With the languages, I'm mostly glad that Crunchyroll strangled Animax, Wakanim and the other UK sites because Crunchyroll offers a relatively generous spread of language options with almost every series and doesn't block it so only people in certain countries can select certain subtitles. Wakanim particularly annoyed me because in cases where the UK subs were delayed, they would put the video live on their French site with French subs and lock it to French viewers only. If you have the rights in both regions and both languages, why introduce this annoying extra restriction? Just put it up on the UK site with French subs or without subs and a warning! People would complain, but that's your fault for being late with the English translation; some people still speak Japanese/French yet can't watch the Japanese/French broadcasts normally because of region restrictions. Argh. Why?

If Crunchyroll is allowed to mix regions and subtitles and not even mention it as a benefit because it's so inconsequential to them, all other services should be able to negotiate the same deal with the same parties if they actually want to do it. Like you say, it's not my problem that they can't negotiate license deals as well as other distributors. I can have empathy for the difficulties but at the same time, I'm going to criticise them if they make my access to anime worse.

As, let's be honest, is every season. I've still only seen two shows from last season, and there's maybe only 2 more of any interest to me. If I wasn't currently trying to catch up with Gintama, I'd have been tempted to knock off my Crunchyroll subscription for this season and subside off my DVD/BD backlog, because as far as I can tell, it's a dry barren wasteland where the one show I was really interested in isn't accessible in the UK and the other one that vaguely caught my eye is ****. (I tried Chain Chronicles, but it seemed to start half-way through the story. I genuinely had to check I hadn't started the wrong episode.)

I might just be overly pessimistic but I do feel this current season is a bit of a let down compared to most, even though last season wasn't fantastic. There's usually at least one weird show I get hooked on in winter, but Crunchyroll's announcement list is nothing but a parade of schoolgirls with blushes on top of their blushes and short skirts so far. We'll probably get Super Lovers 2 but... it's Super Lovers :s

And part of the issue is that the American audience is willing to excuse anything Crunchyroll does to it's international audience, because it's good to them. Let's get this absolutely clear... It is not our job to give a **** about licensing difficulties! Licensing difficulties may explain Crunchyroll's lack of catalogue content, but it certainly doesn't excuse it.

Oh god, yes. I remember back when Crunchyroll's UK support was much worse I'd hear fans in the US screaming that I should 'tell my local UK industry to set up their own service' instead of complaining, much as fans will tell me to 'just ship it via one of your friends in America' when a US-exclusive deal is announced physically, like I have friends all over the world to accommodate my whims. I don't know why people in the most fortunate position have this deep obsession with stamping on the people who are trying to improve their own lot rather than helping (seriously guys, simply applying some pressure to Crunchyroll from the US would help us a lot) but it's annoying and I'd rather they just kept their mouths shut if they have nothing useful to add to the debate. Not every country is the US. Rage.

R

From the conversations I've had at my anime society, I don't think Crunchyroll needs everything, I think it needs everything big. I'm not sure most pirating fans care about the 8 different girls cycling shows it has or the fact it doesn't have The Eccentric Family anymore, when it's missing half of Naruto, large quantities of Fairy Tail (FT is much more popular than I would have thought, it's a miracle I made it out of society alive when I said I wasn't a fan), all of One Piece, no Sailor Moon, no Dragon Ball, it doesn't have the Attack on Titan OVAs, there's no One-Punch Man and for the longest time it was missing everything Funimation had.

I can definitely agree with this. I mean some series are a lot better than other's (a large portion of Fairy Tail that CR doesn't have is on Netflix or was until recently...) but yeah like anyone who wants to get into that series, subbed, from the start is kinda out of options now that some of the DVD's appear to be OOP, which is a terrible position to have a big series in. I guess we can blame most of that on Funimation and basically not allowing CR to release the series in the UK and then even afterward host episodes for more than a couple of weeks a few years ago... The only real blessing for that series is that you can buy and read all the manga up to the latest release legally now (as the book releases have surpassed where CR started now).

The continued lack of Toei titles is terrible but then that's a separate issue to it being a CR problem considering it's largely down to the fact Toei just don't want to give us anything streaming in the UK, but where piracy is concerned then it's definitely a driving force. As you say yourself in a later post, whose really going to use CR when the mainstream just aren't there? Especially if you're someone whose just beginning to get into anime and want to watch your Naruto, One Piece and One-Punch Man. The only real saving grace is that now FunimationNow has died off except for dubs CR should be able to get titles like My Hero Academia which will be a big improvement.

I think this is perhaps what people don't realise. Crunchyroll could feasibly have 95+% of all anime series this year in the UK, but that means nothing if it doesn't get the ones people actually want. Having the obscurest of obscure titles every season and a mountain of short series that nobody will remember within even a week of their last episodes is great. It's absolutely fantastic, if you're a hardcore fan that's seen everything. But if you're a young upstart, you'd probably rather it sacked all of those off in favour of Fullmetal Alchemist.

This feeds back into the point I was making in my earlier point, although you're coming to it from a different angle to me. I'm the viewer who wants the obscure stuff and the fact CR doesn't get that one show I really want to watch is really annoying. This past season it was not pushing Kiss Him, Not Me over to us and I had some mild annoyance that they were late casting Girlish Number (as people on my social media feeds certainly weren't waiting for the CR release...), and seasons before that I was upset that Funi had Noragami which has fast become a favourite series of mine since I actually got the chance to watch it. There is always something I want that just simply isn't there and isn't handled well elsewhere if it actually is picked up for the UK eventually.

Looking at the shows Crunchyroll has announced for this upcoming season, the only ones thus far of any note to non-mega hardcore otaku are probably the Fate/Grand Order special and Koro-sensei Q!. People don't plan their catalogue watching in advance for the most part, so really you're asking non-hardcore otaku to pay their $8 upfront for access to one confirmed title, and maybe a few later if they're in the mood or something sets social media on fire mid-season. Framing it like that, I don't necessarily know that I'd pay it either.

I agree with what Rui was saying earlier about how this season isn't really a good one for the non hardcore anime fan. I'm looking forward to Fuuka, KonoSuba, Tales of Zestiria the X, and Blue Exorcist but when you boil it down three of those are sequels and CR might not even get Fuuka. ToZTX is also in an annoying position of having been on FuniNow and yet not moved over in time for the second half. Blue Exorcist isn't really easily accessible for new viewers either unless they're subbed elsewhere, have the discs or happen to have read the manga beforehand. A lot can be said about annoying seasons like this really, where CR license a sequel but the reality is that the previous season(s) of a show just can't be streamed there or potentially even elsewhere and if CR didn't have it the first time they usually don't get back titles for the UK. That's a problem with the industry right now that really needs fixing.

Last edited:
Speaking just for Danbooru here, not any other boorus:
Yes. You're forcing the responsibility for monitoring and policing their own content onto individual fan artists with negligible English skills, and it happens even if they explicitly post warnings begging people not to do it in English (my favourite is the impassioned 'unauthorized copying dries the bones of artists', which is, of course, completely ignored by enough sharers to break my heart).

There is a version of the disclaimer (which tells artists what to do if they want their works deleted) in Japanese, and if someone comments in Japanese asking for their art to be removed then there is usually someone who is able to point them towards it. Which somewhat mitigates the language barrier.

Incidentally, if you know of any artists who "explicitly post warnings begging people not to do it" whose work has been hosted on danbooru anyway, feel free to notify them that their work is being hosted on the site and link them to Wiki - disclaimer:japanese - Danbooru

The artist receives no feedback at all. Many of them will never, ever find out their work was even shared if you didn't bother asking for permission, so they will never know anyone liked it.
It's true, and a shame (although you'd be surprised at the number of artists who do find their work on danbooru). Honestly, I wish I could just send a stock message to new artists that I had uploaded their work on the site, explaining what the site was and giving them the above link in case they didn't want their art posted on there. Unfortunately I feel that the first person who didn't want their work rehosted would instead just report me on pixiv and get me banned from there.

While linking to the source may drive traffic to their page, for a lot of casual image browsers it takes traffic away by making the Boorus popular and Pixiv less popular. This is bad for artists.
I've no idea how the balance with that is, although I'd be surprised if the effect was a net negative to pixiv in the long run. The fact is, though, that it can be really difficult finding the art you want on sites like Pixiv (let alone on twitter where it's basically impossible) - and this is a major reason why people prefer boorus. Such art wouldn't be viewed in the first place on pixiv for the most part.

The artist is unable to tag and add context to the image themselves. Offensive or incorrect (to them) tags may be added instead. To use a silly example, a Seme x Uke image might be incorrectly attributed as an Uke x Seme image. No big deal to the uploader, annoying to the fan who spend 18 solid hours drawing and colouring the piece in the first place.
The artist can change the tag themself if they want. Danbooru operates tagging on the principle of "tag what you see" so tags like "Seme x Uke" don't exist - it would just be tagged as "yaoi". If someone misinterprets a part of the image, though, then corrections would be more than welcomed - doubly so if they come from the artist themself. Although of course the tag would have to fit in with the tagging system, and I've had to change tags that were taken from the artist's pixiv before now on account of danbooru having a different concept to the artist of what makes, for example, "large breasts". Likewise if the artist adds tags on pixiv late and after the image is already on danbooru then they will often be spotted and then added to the danbooru image by other users, so the onus here isn't on the artist to change it.

The artist cannot make changes if they notice an actual mistake because they aren't the one in 'control' of the image any more.
True in the sense that the image won't be changed, but the tag "md5 mismatch" is added to any image that has been changed, and various "bad id" tags if the image has been deleted. These tags are added by a bot so there's no need for anyone to notice the change, and inform any viewers that the image has been revised by the artist. The viewer can then go to the source link to see the newly revised post (again, sending them to the original source to view the work) or if the new version gets uploaded as well then the original version will be put as a subsidiary to the new one.

If the original image is problematic in some way, not being able to take it down or see where it's shared might harm their future employment or real life in some way (particularly a problem with images casually shared on Twitter and deleted later - too late).
I had never actually thought about that. The worst content is either blocked entirely or has access restricted, which would likely prevent employers from finding it, but it's true that there are images on the site that the artist may find awkward or worse. I can't say that any of my uploads fall into that category though.

The artist can upload their work to the Booru themselves if they wanted it there in the first place. Why not educate them about this rather than speaking for them?
Actually, on Danbooru they can't - or shouldn't at any rate. Artists are not allowed to upload their own art on the site on the basis that the artist is not a good judge of the quality of their own work. And tend to get very upset when their work then gets deleted for not being good enough.

The artist cannot permanently take the work down without navigating a bunch of gibberish English-biased rules about claiming work.
As mentioned above, this is not the case for Danbooru. If an artist wants their work down then they can request it in Japanese, without once reading or typing a word of English. I won't deny that knowing English makes the process easier, though.

From my experience, a lot of sites ignore takedown requests anyway. Only one of my Japanese friends has ever managed it without me stepping in to help and moan at the right people, and she's the most determined person I have ever met.
I can't speak for sites that I don't use.

Someone else will just upload it even if it is removed and even if the original uploader is banned.
Generally doesn't happen on Danbooru. The overwhelming majority of the non-scan art on the site is uploaded with the bookmarklet, which will recognise that the artist is banned and give a message with red highlight saying "Banned Artist" just below the submit button when you try to upload, and the artist tag implicates the banned artist tag so it's easy anyone to spot this work and get it removed on the occasions when it does happen. Deliberately evading this is a bannable offence and I've only ever heard of one person actually do this. Also the work is not actually removed from the site but merely hidden which means that the bookmarklet will recognise a previously uploaded but banned image as a duplicate if someone else tries to upload it.

Every second the artist spends doing all of this is time they aren't spending relaxing or drawing more work.
It's demoralising.
Can't really argue with this. Although it's also time consuming and potentially demoralising for an artist to have to answer a hundred and one requests from different people who want to upload their art to these sites every single time they upload a work. Which is what would happen every time someone uploaded a high quality piece of art from a popular copyright if everyone followed this approach, particularly if they then took a while to get back to the requests.

Artists actively and constantly complain about art theft in both English and Japanese, but only western artists seem to be allowed to have these opinions taken seriously by fellow fans (and even then those requests are ignored by other fans).
I've never seen any difference in treatment between western and eastern artists myself, and any difference in treatment would be on an individual level rather than an institutionalised one.
Why isn't the onus on the takers - the Booru uploaders - rather than the people creating the work? I understand that it takes time to send a pre-written request (or even a suggestion) to the artists rather than just going ahead and taking the work without permission, but it pales in comparison to the time spent drawing even the most simple pencil sketch.
The problem (aside from the one above) is, this isn't enforceable. And if it isn't enforceable then you'll get people uploading it anyway - particularly those who can't speak the artist's language. It would feel bad if I was to send a message to the artist asking for permission and they said no only for someone else to upload the art - or, more likely and arguably worse, if someone else uploaded the art in between me sending a message and receiving a response. As I indicated above, my preferred approach would be to upload the art and then send the artist a message saying that I had done this and how to stop this happening in the future if they don't like it. But in practice this would just result in me getting banned from pixiv.
And what would happen if I got permission and all that and then decided partway through uploading that the image wasn't good enough after all? This happens to me a lot.

I've seen enough to know that a lot of users do consider the artist's wishes on uploading, and that uploaders generally consider this FAR more than your average user, but also to know that there are those who either don't care, who prioritise other things to the exclusion of the artist's wishes, or who simply don't know how to ask for permission. It's sad that this is the case but there's not a lot that an individual can do except ensure that their own way of doing things does consider the wishes of the artist.
Incidentally, there are people out there who do send requests for every single image they upload. They don't tend to upload much as a result, though.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad experiences with this. Personally I'm not that fussed if this sort of thing happens to me so long as it is properly credited/sourced, and would actually be more frustrated if someone bugged me every single time one or another stat that I've worked out or posted got used. At the end of the day I guess we're both just assuming that others have the same position as we do unless we're specifically told otherwise.

Thanks for your response; certainly a lot of information in there and some details about Danbooru I didn't know (I'm afraid they all appear the same to the uninitiated). I had no idea artists were actively discouraged from using it for themselves. I don't like that at all; it makes sense on one level yet also normalises the rights of 'critics' (uploaders) being greater than those of actual creators when it comes to the works of the latter.

Also, hehe at the breast-size thing.

It's true, and a shame (although you'd be surprised at the number of artists who do find their work on danbooru). Honestly, I wish I could just send a stock message to new artists that I had uploaded their work on the site, explaining what the site was and giving them the above link in case they didn't want their art posted on there. Unfortunately I feel that the first person who didn't want their work rehosted would instead just report me on pixiv and get me banned from there.

If I'm honest, I'd probably be exactly the kind of jerk to report someone who contacted me like that after the fact, so that makes sense. Why not ask them in advance though, and explain that you're worried someone else might upload it in the interim and if they want help blacklisting uploads from their account you can assist? You could phrase it cautiously and instead of saying it would be uploaded, you could say it would be submitted for consideration or something to dodge the issue of it failing to meet the arbitrary quality rules (which are certainly odd if my scribble made it online!)

I know that means fewer uploads from you, but it would be so much better for the artist community as a whole. It feels almost as though it's a race and the issue is the quality of the Booru site and reputation of the submitters, rather than it being about the actual artists.

If people are finding it hard to locate art on Pixiv with its following and search features, I feel as though that would be a better project to put time into. How about a wrapper for Pixiv with properly translated tags, or a guide for users to make their work more searchable, or a resource helping English-speakers learn to use it better, or a dialogue with the team which manages the English support on the site to give feedback for improvements? Copying the best parts of the site elsewhere to protect people from learning to navigate and stifle improvement feels the wrong way around, to me.

The example of artwork which could present problems doesn't just extend to lewd content, but also to copyrighted works (say a famous artist was asked to take down a fan art of a series because some draconian rights holder complained, and complied immediately but didn't realise it was on Danbooru too - the rights holder might well think they were being defiant and uploading it elsewhere themselves, not understanding the situation, and this could cause issues). Or even silly things, like someone could have a falling out with a friend and write 'Sachiko sucks' in the background of a picture then that picture goes viral and Sachiko herself spots it long after they've made up and stopped feuding. It's annoying, and even scary, to have no immediate control over your own content.

As for the thought that it would be overwhelming for popular artists to get a lot of feedback, they can easily put a note on future drawings (on Pixiv, where they have control) saying that they'd rather not receive requests in future as they'll always be denied and they don't share their work. If it bothers them. It only needs to happen once for them to learn this, and it's still less effort than being an amateur detective and checking for re-uploads for an hour every day on dozens of different sites. Most artists I speak to are beyond thrilled to receive any recognition at all and a mailbox full of flattering requests would be a lovely experience for them.

R

This feeds back into the point I was making in my earlier point, although you're coming to it from a different angle to me. I'm the viewer who wants the obscure stuff and the fact CR doesn't get that one show I really want to watch is really annoying. This past season it was not pushing Kiss Him, Not Me over to us and I had some mild annoyance that they were late casting Girlish Number (as people on my social media feeds certainly weren't waiting for the CR release...), and seasons before that I was upset that Funi had Noragami which has fast become a favourite series of mine since I actually got the chance to watch it. There is always something I want that just simply isn't there and isn't handled well elsewhere if it actually is picked up for the UK eventually.

As I said, I wonder if the piracy issue is that we're all approaching it from our perspective and not other people's. I just looked at my Blu-ray list, and I don't even own that much, but for the amount of money I spent blind buying things I thought I might like because they weren't widely streaming, I must be an idiot. Easily over £100 just on the two Fullmetal Alchemist. Then you have things like Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Chunibyo, the Eva Rebuilds, Eden of the East, Digimon: Digital Monsters. If you add things I brought (but not blind) due to the lack of streaming, Baccano!, Kill la Kill, Danganronpa: The Animation, Space Dandy and Death Note, you're probably getting uncomfortably close to £1,000 and there's not even that much content there. Especially if you add the cost of Crunchyroll in.

In all seriousness, there's nothing especially obscure in that list, but I don't know that I could even feel comfortable presenting that list of titles to someone and telling them to buy them on DVD/BD, instead of flying the Jolly Rodger. Our perceptions of reasonableness are probably far too warped for us to have a fair opinion on this.

Last edited:
This is why I get so mad about 21st century 'strategies' to artifically bloat physical sales by making streams unavailable (well ok, it's part of the reason why - I'm also just selfish and jealous). It's not realistic. Kids these days grow up being able to try everything before they buy. Before we would try stuff on television but rationalised that video-only things would have to be blind purchases. Nowadays, people who blind buy expensive, bulky, soon-to-be-replaced-by-another-format-anyway items are widely regarded by the younger generation as insane. Telling people raised in this generation that they need to keep doing things the old way because it's how some guy they don't care about needs to make money isn't going to resonate with very many of them. Simulcasting - well, streaming really, since we're actively talking about catalogue stuff now - represents a way to take control of the elusive 'television' system and finally carve out a niche there after it's fobbed our hobby off for decades, and all people want to do is run away and pretend it doesn't exist. The constant conflation of legal and illegal streaming by distributors really bothers me because they're two completely separate things, it would be like refusing to release anime on VHS tapes back in the day just because some people out there owned decks which could copy content.

R

If I'm honest, I'd probably be exactly the kind of jerk to report someone who contacted me like that after the fact, so that makes sense. Why not ask them in advance though, and explain that you're worried someone else might upload it in the interim and if they want help blacklisting uploads from their account you can assist? You could phrase it cautiously and instead of saying it would be uploaded, you could say it would be submitted for consideration or something to dodge the issue of it failing to meet the arbitrary quality rules (which are certainly odd if my scribble made it online!)

I don't think I'm good enough at Japanese to do something like that. And I'm better at Japanese than most people on the site who upload art. And that's before we get into the fact that there are lots of Korean and Chinese artists on Pixiv. I can stick their artist commentary into google translate to see if they're saying I shouldn't upload their stuff, but to write a carefully worded message like that? Forget it.

With regards to the art quality thing - Danbooru (and its various mirror sites) is, I believe, by far the most stringent of all the boorus in that regard. Some of the others don't care at all about the quality of the image uploaded.

There are people who race to upload stuff as fast as possible, incidentally, to the point of uploading and then adding the required information for an upload afterwards, just to get their post up a couple of minutes faster.

If people are finding it hard to locate art on Pixiv with its following and search features, I feel as though that would be a better project to put time into. How about a wrapper for Pixiv with properly translated tags, or a guide for users to make their work more searchable, or a resource helping English-speakers learn to use it better, or a dialogue with the team which manages the English support on the site to give feedback for improvements? Copying the best parts of the site elsewhere to protect people from learning to navigate and stifle improvement feels the wrong way around, to me.

This just isn't going to happen on Pixiv without a fundamental redesign of the site, essentially making its layout similar to a booru site itself. Images just don't have enough tags on there (the average for danbooru is about 25-30 tags per image on images uploaded recently, and good taggers will average 40 or even 50+ - with almost all commonly used tags having a single fixed meaning), even missing some very basic ones, and the ones they do have aren't applied even remotely consistently. Plus of course pixiv has no quality control either.
Oh, and noone copied the best parts of Pixiv for anything. Danbooru is older than Pixiv is, just as it is older than twitter, tumblr, nico nico and all the other sites that most images on there now come from.
Really the only things other than specific artists that you can search for on Pixiv with any degree of reliability are copyright and characters, and even there there are often lots of different tags in use for the same thing, or the same tag used to refer to completely different characters with similar names or occasionally the thing the character was named after.

I still feel as though the Danbooru community (and moreso those of the other Boorus) have sort of lost sight of things if their own indexing activities are more important than the feelings of the actual artists they're using. If they can translate their complaint process, translating a set message text asking for permission and enforcing a confirmation that all uploads are made with full permission doesn't seem very difficult to me. The site may date back to before Pixiv was a thing but even when users were using Tinami/Anipike(?) or whatever other long-forgotten-by-me sources back in the day to find content for upload, a site like the one Pixiv has become would have sounded like a dream come true. Nowadays, Pixiv has brought a lot of amateur artists together under one roof. When I say Danbooru is copying the best parts of Pixiv, I don't mean the interface, I mean the content, because that's the sole reason I ever visit Pixiv in the first place.

Personally speaking, browsing the tags on Danbooru is just as random and pointless to me as searching on Pixiv. If I want SanaDate pictures, I have to go to Danbooru, filter by series/character and pray I don't see any unwanted DateSana pictures or that some speed-tagger hasn't messed things up in their haste. Most of the pictures are explicit and inelegant because the quality filter is someone else's idea of what they want to see, rather than mine. If I want to see the same images on Pixiv I enter the tag into the search and skim through a selection of simple and sophisticated artwork which exactly matches the precise search terms I entered. Sure, I might be missing out if someone only tagged their work 'Sanada' and 'BL' instead of SanaDate but that's the nature of tagging in general. And if I do find those hidden treasures, I can favourite the artist or learn which tags they use to make future searching better. Sometimes they deliberately avoid the main tags to keep their work for series fans and followers rather than people just looking for a throwaway lewd image. I can accept that. It's their artistic preference. To be honest I mostly just check my favourite artists rather than skimming the tags as unless it's a new series, I already know whose work I like.

A Pixiv-compatible browser plugin or wrapper to allow external tagging and user/mod ratings (itself acting as the quality filter) would be so much better, in so many ways. Everything stays on Pixiv where it belongs, but people who hate Pixiv's interface can modify it. I cannot approve of the current way things are done at all.

R

Last edited:
Back