Truly ridiculous anime

Qualia

Completely Average High School Student
Can anybody recommend any extremely overblown anime, featuring incredible battles and fit-inducing visuals? This may seem like an odd request but (while I love them to bits) I want to experience anime beyond the more intelligent shows like Bebop and EVA etc.

I mean... seriously preposterous... Final Fantasy VII 'Nights of the Round' attack style, only more so. :lol:

Well in terms of out there visuals and combat sequences, Macross Zero has what I think are the most absolutely phenomenal CGI combat sequences I've ever seen. Seriously, the first time a Variable fighter transforms they devote something like a whole 30-60 seconds on it just to showcase how smooth, cool and detailed that sequence is. And beyond episode 1, the combat sequences generally get even more explosive. Although the plot could have used a bit of work, it's still probably not as mindless as you're looking for. Nevertheless, it is definitely a visual spectacle

After that, Hellsing is pretty audacious in its fight scenes and gore. Anyone who's seen episodes 5-6 knows that. Here's a hint, when the episode preview says there's going to be a rain of blood at the Hellsing Manor, they're going to frigging well give you a rain of blood in the Hellsing Manor :mrgreen: . No real plot to speak of, but it'll keep you watching in between the action. Sounds like just the thing you're looking for, it's all style and action.

Can't really think of any others I've seen that showcase a large amount of spectacle, at least not without a heavy-duty plot generally besides it.

Thanks a lot, will check out all of those animes. Before I got more interested in anime, there seemed to be a typing that Japanese anime and cartoons were hectic and crazy (e.g. in The Simpsons, when they suffer from fits when watching some fighting robots show). In my experience it has not been like that at all and now I wonder why people sometimes think that way about anime.

Qualia said:
(e.g. in The Simpsons, when they suffer from fits when watching some fighting robots show).

I believe this is a parody of when lots of japanese kids had fits en-masse when a certain episode of Pokemon aired.

I think what you're really after is a slice of the bizzare, blood drenched action series only anime can deliver. Excel Saga's more of a scattershot comedy whereas it sounds like you want something a little more action orientated.

I'd suggest some of the more antiquated OTT splatter classics, such as Fist Of The North Star, The Guyver, Devil Man and anything released by Madhouse in the mid nineties (Wicked City, Cyber City Oedo etc..).

Excel Saga, naturally, is an insane send up of anime as a whole, and highly enjoyable too, is as Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

Elfen Lied, nowadays, is the popular anime for over the top gore and showers of bloody violence that despite your best efforts you'll most likely enjoy.

Maybe Ninja Scroll would be good for you (the film, not so much the series). The action's good and the animation quality's pretty high up there.

Cowboy Bebop Movie was good for this too.

I wouldn't normally suggest this one, but the Animatrix has some really nice imagery. This is a good way to test out styles you like and then go for the directors you like.

Puni Puni Poemy will see you through well too.

Sharingan said:
Paranoia Agent said:
anything released by Madhouse in the mid nineties (Wicked City, Cyber City Oedo etc..).

Cyber City used to give me the worse nightmares, especially the episode with the dead body wired into the computer net work :(

I used to love Cyber City Oedo. Stereotypical gory cyberpunk action flick (well, 3 OAV's) I loved the one with the hacker guy (with the visor) and the half-built skyscraper.

Back