Tokyo Mew Mew/Tokyo Mew Mew A La Mode

Red XIII

Straw Hat Pirate
Having read the first volume of Tokyo Mew Mew A La Mode (the sequel to Tokyo Mew Mew) the other day, I thought I'd see what everyone else's thoughts are on the series- the original as well as A La Mode.

When it comes to the original, I found myself preferring the later volumes first time around, but on rereading the early volumes seemed better. The artwork is brilliant, but the story felt a little lacking in places, focussing on Ichigo at the expense of the other Mew Mews (although admittedly at only seven volumes there's only so much you can do). The battle sections also felt a little brief and even repetitive at times. That being said, however, I did enjoy the series (even if it didn't make the grade of all-time classic) and I'd love to see the uncut anime if 4Kids ever lets us.

As for A La Mode, I'm not sure what to make of that atm. In some ways it handles things better than the original, for example, I'm glad Tasuku found out almost straight away about Berry being a Mew Mew, having another Ichigo/Masaya situation would have been too painful, but overall it's so cute and hyper that it borders on sugar overload- it's certainly hard to take seriously at times (although I'm not sure whether I'm even meant to be).

Last edited by a moderator:
I only buy the manga for my 13 year old daughter, (got her A La Mode ages ago). I should read them myself, but I just never think to ask her to borrow them :( She's totally addicted and I bought her Mint's arrow for Xmas last year and the cute pink thing beginning with "M"!!

I first saw the tokyo mew mew series, I have episodes 1-22 on dvd. I bought the manga so i could continue with the series. I'm not sure which i like better the manga or the anime but I really like Tokyo mew mew ^_^ Volume 7 is my favorite because it's so sad and romantic!

Tokyo mew mew La mode is alright but not as good as the original. I think they should of got the saint rose crusaders more involved with the characters like one of them falling in love with Berry or one of the mew mews.

I read all of A la mode, but only the last 2 volumes of the origanal...I watched the start of the anime, so it was OK.

I like A la mode for the cute bunny ears, I think it could last longer if the story is more developed. I like the art, but I think the hand sometimes are like a bit sloppy in some parts. But I think it is nice art.

Back