Thoughts on Tales from Earthsea [possible spoilers]

Tin Man

Brigade Leader
Ive never read the books and my only contact with the Earthsea universe was through that horrible mini-series the yanks made.

I liked it. Not as much as howls moving castle of spirited away but it shouldnt really be compared to them. Its a much slower movie.

The themes of life and balance get a bit preachy at times

The song in the middle was dubbed :(

There are a lot of unintentional sexual references and imagery. Its sort of a side effect to the slow pace. Maybe it was just the audience i was with but

Ploughing the field
Go up the back pasture
"You're very good at farmwork. Are you sure it was your first time?"

Overall I liked it and Im glad I saw it in the cinema before the DVD. Even if it was the dubbed version

Its just a shame for Goro that it was based on a book that will always be considered the better version.
I think he should have tackled something less liable to cause such scrutinisation.
The again just the fact hes Hayao`s son should see to that.
Thats on heck of a name to live up to.

Outlawstar said:
Its just a shame for Goro that it was based on a book that will always be considered the better version.

Yeah but the general rule is that the book will always be the better version. Ironicaly I now want the read the books. The story in Tales has the characters bringing up past events so much that I want to find out what happened.

After I saw the mini-series I never wanted to look at the series again.

Ursula K. Le Guin originally sugested that the movie should deal with Sparrowhawks wandering years prior to him becoming archmage as that wasnt covered in the books. This would have been a perfect solution. A side story that gave Studio Ghibli complete artistic freedom and yet didnt step on any fan toes

I enjoyed it but for me it lacked what can only be described as Hayao Miyazaki's magical touch, it lacked the Ghible feel and i didn't feel much symphathy or love for the characters which is typically excellent and always present in Ghibli films.
A lot of people slagge dit off, critics and what not but i thought it was beautifully directed and Goro shows a lot of promise especially as it was his first try.

Back