Thinking of buying a Panasonic DP-UB450EB UHD multi-region player

AgeOfBoredom

Dandy Guy, in Space
Before I drop some money on this player (£199 on John Lewis), I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

I’m keen on this one for the following reasons:
• Dolby Atmos
• HDR 10+ (matches my TV, Sony X700 has Dolby Vision instead)
• Multi region (there is some Discotek releases I’m after in the future)
• UHD player
• Not an insane price

I’m pairing it with my current set up: a 50” 2021 Samsung Frame and Sonos Beam, Sub mini and twin SL Ones.

Apologies if this is the wrong sub forum.

There isn't a better model on the market but it isn't multi region unless you're buying it from multiregionmagic or another similar retailer

There isn't a better model on the market but it isn't multi region unless you're buying it from multiregionmagic or another similar retailer
Oh, thought it was multi region as standard. Exactly why I thought I should post here! I’m assuming they do a firmware update or hack it another way?

4K UHD is a region-less format, so 'multi region' is only relevant if you wish to play Region A Blu-Ray discs (or indeed Region 1 et al DVDs) in which case you'll need to buy a modded player or custom firmware (which used to be available at regionfreedom, but that now seems to be defunct so I have no idea).

Panasonic players do have an ability to bypass region coding on some discs straight out of the box by pressing STOP at the wrong region screen and then TOP MENU, but that's disc dependent so I wouldn't buy it with that specifically in mind.

@Yami has beaten me to it but yes if you want a ready-to-go multi-region player then you’ll need to go through a company like TPS for it. I used them to acquire a Panasonic UB820 player a few years ago and it’s gotten consistent use since.

4K UHD is a region-less format, so 'multi region' is only relevant if you wish to play Region A Blu-Ray discs (or indeed Region 1 et al DVDs) in which case you'll need to buy a modded player or custom firmware (which used to be available at regionfreedom, but that now seems to be defunct so I have no idea).

Panasonic players do have an ability to bypass region coding on some discs straight out of the box by pressing STOP at the wrong region screen and then TOP MENU, but that's disc dependent so I wouldn't buy it with that specifically in mind.
Yeah, I want the ability to play Region A discs. The are a number of Discotek releases that I have my eye on. The UHD part is more for the few anime UHD releases that pop up. I mostly just buy regular 4k movies on Apple (less shelf space). But obviously digital editions of anime are rare and at the whim of the rights holders more so than Hollywood stuff.

@Yami has beaten me to it but yes if you want a ready-to-go multi-region player then you’ll need to go through a company like TPS for it. I used them to acquire a Panasonic UB820 player a few years ago and it’s gotten consistent use since.
I saw TPS were a little cheaper than the other places. Sounds like they are a reputable place then.

I had no issue with them plus they chucked in a free UHD film and HDMI cable in with the player. Very simple to switch regions as well.

I had no issue with them plus they chucked in a free UHD film and HDMI cable in with the player. Very simple to switch regions as well.
How do you switch regions? Do you just toggle a setting in menus or is it using the remote button sequence I’ve seen kicking around on the internet.

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate all of the answers and effort so far :D

How do you switch regions? Do you just toggle a setting in menus or is it using the remote button sequence I’ve seen kicking around on the internet.

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate all of the answers and effort so far :D
For my player it’s as simple as pressing the 1 2 or 3 buttons on the supplied remote control whilst the disc tray is open. 1=Region A, 2=Region B, and 3=Region C.

I believe the individual player listings on the TPS player website will tell you how it works as well in the descriptions.

For my player it’s as simple as pressing the 1 2 or 3 buttons on the supplied remote control whilst the disc tray is open. 1=Region A, 2=Region B, and 3=Region C.

I believe the individual player listings on the TPS player website will tell you how it works as well in the descriptions.
Ah I scanned the bullets and read some of it yesterday but I had my daughter with me, so I prolly glossed over it while being asked one of many questions :D

If the disc is geo locked in addition to region locked, you may need to change your region within the device's settings menu as well. Well at least I find that I have to do that with my own multi region player.

Back