Thinking about going multi-region

Jiindama said:
The BBFC requires that the rating certificate is printed on the disc, so the disc print run can't be shared with other manufacturers in the US and then imported as the US manufacturers don't want our ratings on their discs.
While the situation may have been a little unusual, the Honneamise BDs for Gunbuster vs Diebuster and the like were printed in Japan and shipped around the world for resale. I assumed the BBFC logos were silkscreened on for the UK only, but was informed the US discs had them also.

Back from testing out medabots volume 01 (£2) region 01, the dvd player played it after I used the code, Thanks for the information everyone, saved me some money on having to buy a new one (now what to import...)

As for the blu-ray £50 doesn't sound too bad, I might get around to buying one when I find the right reason to (no particular blu-ray I want from the US anyway).

So what have other people imported from america anyway.

So far on DVD i've got, the Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Dragonball GT boxsets. All the current One piece Sets, and the School Rumble Boxset.

Blu Ray i have imported, Tsubasa Complete boxset and also have the OVA in the post at the moment. Dragonball Z Kai, Fullmetal Alchemist Part 3, and Full Metal Panic Series 1 and fumoffu

I've only imported Blu-ray to date
Appleseed
Appleseed Ex Machina
Gunslinger Girl
Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino
The Sky Crawlers
Sword of the Stranger
Ouran High School Host Club
Claymore
Tsubasa Collected Memories
FF VII Advent Children Complete
Paprika
Black Blood Brothers
Evangelion 1.11
Akira
Dragonball Kai 1-3
FMA Brotherhood 1 and 2
Freedom
Gunbuster Vs Diebuster

In the post
FMA Brotherhood 3
Heroic Age
Xam'd
Casshern Sins
Basilisk Complete
Tsubasa OVAs

Stuart-says-yes said:
I don't really like buying from america, its easier to just buy R2, but no-one seems to have plans to release either Strike witches or Kalideo star, so I bought them both, and pretty cheaply too :) . Thats all I have R1 wise btw.
It's cheaper to buy R1 and next to nothing comes out here, especialy anything that did well in Japan.

My R1 dvds

Clannad - Collection 1 Sub-only DVD
Clannad - Collection 2 Sub-only DVD
Clannad After Story - Collection 1 Sub-only DVD 1
Clannad After Story - Collection 2 Sub-only DVD 2
Kannazuki no Miko - Complete Collection Hybrid DVD
Air - Complete Collection Box Set Hybrid DVD
His and Her Circumstances - Collection (Anime Value) Hybrid DVD
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - Box Set Hybrid DVD
Lyrical Nanoha A's - Box Set Hybrid DVD
Shigofumi Sub-only DVD
Sola - Complete Collection (Anime Legends) Sub-only (edit: stupid ANN) DVD

Shows that I got simply because they were cheaper in the US than in the UK...

009-1
Dragon Half
Ergo Proxy
Paniponi Dash
Puni Puni Poemy
Utawarerumono
&
Cowboy Bebop
PlanetES
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain

on Bandai Anime Legends before Beez got in on the act, when there were $2 to the pound, and a series cost me £10 including P&P

Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad
Kurau Phantom Memory
School Rumble S1
Suzuka

were all shows that weren't finished in the UK. I just got the concluding volumes for the Revelation titles, but got Kurau in its entirety.

Ah My Goddess! TV Flights Of Fancy
Baccano!
Mahoromatic: Summer Special
Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, The S1
Negima Spring and Summer OVAs

I got before I knew that they would get a UK release.

Escaflowne
Noein
Otogi Zoshi

I got because the UK releases are flawed. Escaflowne has missing subtitles. Noein has dubtitles. Otogi Zoshi's first three volumes had extras and subs, but the final three volumes had been stripped and had dubtitles, so I imported those. Manga's release of Ouran was a mess, no signs track, flawed transfer.

A.Li.Ce
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Kanon
Niea Under 7
Please Teacher
Please Twins
Roujin Z
School Rumble S2
School Rumble: Extra Class
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Welcome to the NHK
World of Narue, The

are all titles that haven't seen a UK release

Cyber City Oedo 808
Kiki's Delivery Service
Wings of Honneamise, The

I bought on Region 4. Kiki because I didn't want the ****** Disney disc, and Optimum hadn't yet picked up the Ghibli licence, and Honneamise because I only wanted the DVD, not the hi-def.

These are my imported blu-rays,

Akira
Black Blood Brothers
Basilisk
Burst Angel
Claymore
Canaan
Casshern Sins
Dragonball Z: Kai 1-3
Escaflowne The Movie
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 1-3
Fullmetal Alchemist The Movie - The Conqueror of Shamballa
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
Guyver
Ghost Hound
Gunslinger Girl
Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino
Heroic Age
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Sword of the Stranger
Slayers Revolution - Series 4
Slayer Evolution-R - Series 5
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
The Sky Crawlers
The Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise
Trinity Blood
Tears to Tiara
Tsubasa OVAs
Tsubasa Collected Memories
Witchblade
Xam'd

Other imported blu-rays I own

Blade Runner
Cronos - Criterion Collection
Chungking Express - Criterion Collection
Dune
Flash Gordon
House - Criterion Collection
In The Realm Of The Senses - Criterion Collection
Ichi The Killer
Mystery Train - Criterion Collection
Seven Samurai - Criterion Collection
Sanjuro - Criterion Collection
The Killer
Videodrome - Criterion Collection
Yojimbo - Criterion Collection

Blu-ray on preorder,

Chobits Complete Collection
FLCL Complete Collection
Ga Rei Zero Complete Series Limited Edition
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit Part 1
Needless Collection 1
Queens Blade Complete Collection
Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend The Movie

I would list my region 1 dvds but I don't think there is space (around 10 years worth)

Very little of my collection (percentage-wise) is UK region 2. As I mentioned in another thread recently, it's only in the last year or so where I've noticed particularly good price reductions (or just excellent ideas, like the DRRR!! release) that have encouraged me to go for UK discs over US ones in some instances. The bulk of my money these days goes on Japanese discs, which also means the vast majority are on BD and have been for a short time now. I wish I had an organized enough collection to just copy and paste in here... but I don't. I'm making a similar list for other reasons though, so I will post the BD portion in here.

--

As regards the discussion we were having about potential need for firmware upgrades, doing more research about it reveals some potential problems with the latest version of the Blu-ray copy protection, BD+ version 5. So this could turn into yet another great example of anti-piracy measures that only end up really affecting people who are prepared to pay money for things. It seems unlikely that this would apply to anything other than the biggest Hollywood movies atm though, so perhaps not a major issue, and even then not with all players.

Various reasons including but not limited to higher quality releases, "almost" every new show being available on BD, and wanting my money to go more directly back into the actual anime industry rather than lining Gen Fukunaga's pockets (not that I don't buy any R1 releases, or even any Funimation releases, but I'd really rather not).

I first started importing from Japan for things that I thought wouldn't get an English release and/or had extras that didn't have a hope of getting released anywhere else. I did get into a bit of a habit, especially with Keyani shows - I started with AIR since no-one expected it to be licensed, but there was really no need to get Lucky Star and Haruhi, and the extras weren't all that special.

Most of my collection is R1 with the occasional UK release, honestly the only reason I buy R1 titles is because I feel NTSC is a bit better for animation and also because I'm a bit of an Americanphile, I just feel America for the most part is better for DVDs than the UK is

i bought that BD player from tesco and the hack dosent work ive been at it for half an hour and ive given up now. Anyone know where i might be going wrong?

Make sure the Menu up before imputing the code. As it takes a bit for the player to boot up, and it wont work if you type it while its still booting up.

Also, it needs to be done starting from the power off. If you've done anything like playing a movie, it won't work, turn it off first. So step 1 is turning it on.

Back