Thinking about going multi-region

link2link8

Kiznaiver
I've decided to try and get a dvd player that plays from region 1 dvd from the US, mainly for many reasons one being that the anime I want won't likely get released in this country anytime soon.

but after some research it's really hard to get a dvd player that supports multi-region that's trustworthy (looking at amazon, some reviews say a dvd player is brilliant whereas the bad comments are about how it doesn't work)

so is there anyone here who can recommend a dvd player for a great price and possibly a link to the site?

link2link8, most DVD Players can be turned multi region. The following sites have lists of codes which are entered via the menu screen and make the player multi regional like a cheat code :)

If your current DVD player is not listed just check which ever DVD player you're looking at buying is listed on one of these sites and if so you can make it multi regional.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
http://www.dvdhacks.co.uk/
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray- ... ion-hacks/
http://www.dvd365.net/?hacks/hacklist.htm

From a quick browse around, this appears to be a method of switching your current player to multi-region:

1. Press the Standby button on your remote control to place the unit into Standby
2. Press the Standby button on your remote control to turn on the unit
3. Press the Open/Close button on your remote control to open the drive tray
4. Press the Clear button on your remote control
5. Press the 1 button on your remote control
6. Press the 3 button on your remote control
7. Press the 6 button on your remote control
8. Press the 9 button on your remote control
9. Press the 0 button on your remote control
10. Press the Open/Close button on your remote control to close the drive tray
11. Press the Standby button on your remote control to place the unit into Standby
12. Press the Standby button on your remote control to turn on the unit

No massive problem if it doesn't work with it being a simple remote code, but you would need a region 1 (or other random region) DVD to test it with.

First try...

With the "Power" button turn the player on
Open the tray
Press the "Clear" button
With the numbers keys press
Close the tray
Turn to standby with the "Power" button

failing that, try...

Power on the DVD player.
Open the tray.
Key in 9735 on the remote.
A secret menu should appear which lets you change the region
as well as showing you the firmware revision and other
settings.
Close the tray to exit the menu.

If you're worried about a particular model being "trustworthy" and you have a particular make/model in mind that isn't advertised as being region free, it's worth mentioned that if you have a Richer Sounds in the area they sell provide players from most brands already set up to be multi-region (or in the case of mine, with the instructions for changing region provided on the box), and will price match.

Another off-topic, similar question here, what does people do about blu-ray players? I mean I have a playstation, funny enough I got that by luck, and I know that ga-rei, needless, xamd and canaan are region A and it's gonna cost a lot if I buy or take too long if I wait for a uk license to pick these shows up which isn't very likely (look at manga's sell rate)

You'd have to buy a multi-zone or Zone A specific player, not a lot you can do with your PS3 from that point of view I don't think. There are some relatively cheap options out there, although they're not exactly top of the line players obviously. ALDI was selling one for about £100-150, but I don't know if they would still be doing it.

I believe the only FUNi DVDs that have region B on them are ones that they have UK rights to and/or are [hoping] to co-author with Manga for a UK release - e.g. their FMA BDs were region A+B (although in this case it is Manga not FUNi who has the UK BD rights) until Manga stopped releasing the BDs, now they are A-only.
Basically you need to check before buying as it varies.

My Grandpa once brought a DVD player from a retailer advertised as being Multi-Regional but it wasn't, when he confronted the store and company about it, they both said EU regulation means they can't disclose which ones are. I know, sounds like utter bull, but that's what he was told.

Best thing to do, as others have stated, is just to unlock yours. I hope that goes well.

Philips DVD players are always good and (as far as I have come across so far) can pretty much all be region hacked.

As for Region A Blu-Ray, I just got myself a Blu-Ray optical drive for my PS3 and have run a big ass HDMI cable round to my TV. Works great.

If your looking for a Multi region Blu Ray Player, i suggest picking up the Technika BRSS10 Bluray Player, Not the best make in the world but its only £50 from tesco and its dead easy to hack.

Switch on
open tray
press "set-up" on remote
enter 9113

An additional configure menu will come up, which allows you to change the DVD region, just set it to region free and then it plays everything. And it also gives you the option to change the region of the blu ray. Sadly theres not a region free choice so you have to keep changing it between A and B depending on what your watching. But the config menu will stay on the blu ray player unless its switched off at the mains, and even then you just re-enter the code and the menu appears again.

Google it if you dont believe me.

Yrag86 said:
If your looking for a Multi region Blu Ray Player, i suggest picking up the Technika BRSS10 Bluray Player, Not the best make in the world but its only £50 from tesco and its dead easy to hack.

Switch on
open tray
press "set-up" on remote
enter 9113

An additional configure menu will come up, which allows you to change the DVD region, just set it to region free and then it plays everything. And it also gives you the option to change the region of the blu ray. Sadly theres not a region free choice so you have to keep changing it between A and B depending on what your watching. But the config menu will stay on the blu ray player unless its switched off at the mains, and even then you just re-enter the code and the menu appears again.

Google it if you dont believe me.
I picked up one of these today. I was just getting desperate enough for a region free BD player that I was about to spend considerably more on one. Then this came along. Amazing value.

I ended up buying myself an american Blu Ray player off ebay, cost me £90 and its one of the 1st generation blu ray players. Its probably worthwhile buying a cheap american blu ray player IF you want to play japanese blu rays aswell, considering region A is both America AND Japan.

American Blu Ray player & a UK PS3 is the best combo for an anime fan ;)

That region free BD player thing, it will work long-term, right? As in, its not breaking any rules and firmware will need to change it?

Back