Themed Weeks

Lupus

Baka Ranger
I must say, the idea itself was pretty nice, but you know... there's really not much discussion going on for any of them, what gives? The only one that got any real talk was the Mai-Hime Theme Week thread, IIRC. I think it's a shame none of them have really taken off, but then again most people haven't seen most of the series discussed (I know I haven't.) and there's been no talk of further weeks, so is it just a test run and going to come to an eventual close or what?

Every time a theme week comes up I want to join in but look at the thread title and scratch my head.
Problem is, not everyone is watching the show.

Right, well the original idea was to try and get people to be more interested in certain series, and perhaps look into them and buy them, part of what may have been the lack of responses is the fact that i chose most series which where either just getting released, or getting a full set release. It doesn't seem to have worked out to well though, considering most people seem to just either watch it once online never to pick it up again, already own the R1 series, or just don't bother looking into it. If you have any suggestions we could use for it, post them here and i'll see what i can do.

The reason it didn't take off was because no-one knew it was going on. There was no announcement as far as I could tell. It just looked like someone would decide to have a themed week for a particular anime and that would be that. Changing avatars and creating a thread to discuss said anime isn't exactly great publicity.

You need to take a more active approach to themed weeks. Perhaps change the look of the forums and/or main site to show images of the anime in question. Maybe have someone write an article on the anime (not a review) too. Heck, even allow people to have image signatures that relate to the anime might work.

But in all honesty, how would you know if it had an effect or not? I doubt that the site gets a lot of traffic, and the forums much less so. Chances are that those who discuss the anime of the week have seen it already. Sorry for being negative but I'm just pointing out if it's worth the effort or not.

I wonder if using promotional material would be helpful to getting people into watching the series (i.e. trailers, pictures, reviews). Is it possible to advertise a series outside of the thread, as well? Allowing admins to have signatures? Change the forum layout? etc

Also, series' could be selected, possibly, in a similar manner to that of the Character Battles.

And, what about a schedule for watching episodes? 1 episode every three days? Every 2 days? Obviously it might making watching a 26 episode series longer than a week, but it might make it more active. Depends on the viewing habits of others.

Just a few thoughts... ;p If my brilliant ideas succeed, I might be drawn back to watch anime more frequently than I currently do.

edit: I seem to echo Maxon's ideas.

It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy (or something along those lines) but I'll admit I haven't put much into the discussions of the shows that I have seen (Mai-HiME, Gundam 00 etc) because it didn't seem like anyone else was. It certainly didn't seem like anyone was actively watching the shows in question.

I do think it's a good idea though, but like Maxon says it maybe needs some way of drawing attention to it.

Perhaps run a poll of which series to do next, and spread it out over a month, and run the poll for the next series while the themed month is playing out. And maybe look to start with some series that are either just finishing their singles release, or had a boxset release a short time ago, rather than stuff that is brand new.

Jayme's idea of suggesting an episode "schedule" is not a bad one, even though most people probably wouldn't be able to stick to it due to being busy/whatever, it would help to structure it more.

I think the problem with the theme weeks is thus; I have, according to my MAL, seen one-hundred and fourteen anime films or series. I had not seen any of those picked for the theme weeks at the time (bar the first episode of Gurren Lagann) so I didn't have much to talk about. I could have suggested some of my own but it was a case of bad timing as I wasn't around the forums much at the time it was being discussed.

I think the problem, and the reason why discussion can be pretty slow here in general (I think I've said as much before when Aion's been in a mood about how quiet the boards are) is that out of say, twenty fairly regular posters - how many are going to have watched / be watching the same thing at the same time? Occasionally a few people do seem to be watching a series at once which generates a bit of discussion (Higurashi, Haruhi, Eden of the East are some I can think of) but it doesn't happen often.

I think if the theme week concept is to work, it needs to be more of a "anime of the month club" where people are encouraged to watch and talk about the show, perhaps for the first time, with those who have seen it writing why they think it's good to begin with, and then those who are interested watch and report back. A week just isn't long enough for people to become interested and buy / watch it.

I just finished the first set of Gundam 00 :s it seemed as though everyone else had already finished it in that thread though, so I didn't say much in case it ended up in spoilers. I might add some more to my rambling later if I get time away from Fat Princess.

Overall I've tried to join in for a few but my problem has mostly been the same as ayase's - I haven't seen the show in question and only one of those I hadn't seen was something I was planning on getting in the future.

My Eureka 7 still hasn't actually arrived, though when the postman finally brings it I might bump that one and try to get a discussion going in the future. I elected to avoid it as I haven't seen any of the show and pretty much anything at all would have been a spoiler.

I think the ideas to vote for the next and extend the discussion to a month have potential (I've been busy this week and only just managed to finish the first release from the series before the discussion period was over). The voting will increase awareness and mean that the people around at the start can pick something they want to talk about each round. I also think slightly older series, preferably with full sets available (though we can time it with releases like before) are best because it's more likely people will have seen them and paranoid people like Rui might feel more comfortable discussing things they have complete access to. Mai Hime and Trigun seemed to do well. Here's the list of series and post counts which I found mildly interesting:

Full Metal Panic: 75
Slayers: 24
Trigun: 31
Mai-Hime: 29
Eureka Seven: 6
Claymore: 24
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: 18
Witchblade: 9 (was a last minute one)
Gundam 00: 15

Series I like seem to be on the lower end of the popularity scale :(

unellmay: We already did Gurren Lagann (that's why I changed my avatar to Viral). You can dig up the topic from a couple of weeks ago and add your thoughts if you like.

R

Rui said:
unellmay: We already did Gurren Lagann (that's why I changed my avatar to Viral). You can dig up the topic from a couple of weeks ago and add your thoughts if you like.

R

Is there a point
it's all just hate
and it makes me rage :evil:

okay what would make you think that? the fact that we've already celebrated it as a theme week? (of this i'm certain since i caught the tail end of it once i restored my interner access) There's fans of the show here.

unellmay said:
Is there a point
it's all just hate
and it makes me rage :evil:

All the more reason to add some positive comments about the show :)

It wasn't all hate. And most of it was for the vocal online fanbase rather than the actual series.

R

How about a YURI THEMED WEEK!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

...and uh the other one :?

oh and gintama its not out yet
but it should have way more fans
and It might slightly heigten the chance of it being released here :D

Spyro201 said:
unellmay said:
Gurren lagann and its fans
What else?

You can't make everyone like what you do.

You try to don't you?

and uh they don't have to insult us
or rather Mr douchehat doesn't have to insult us

Edit
also I think everyone should like high quality things

unellmay said:
You try to don't you?

No, Unellmay, I don't try to force people to like what I do. I will put forward my reasons for liking something, and then allow others to have theres. Sure, i'll argue my corner, but that isn't what you do. You just blatanty insult other peoples tastes.

unellmay said:
Tsk unlike you my brain isn't clouded by feelings of nostalgia from when I was 8 or 9 and can see the fact that it may in fact be the worst anime ever

unellmay said:
chaos said:
I was 20 when I've first saw Digimon and I still think that the first one or two series were great.

Fixed

unellmay said:
I hope you didn't Just say that the slayers dub is good

unellmay said:
Doesn't really change the fact that the dub isn't good

Unellmay, all of those quotes were taken from one thread and represent how you don't even want to let someone else discuss thier opinions.

So what you don't like Aion? Alot of people on the forum do. I for one do, and am quite sick of seeing you constantly bombard him with ****** youtube videos in threads about his post being ****** over, and expressing dissapointment when he isn't banned. But will you accept the fact I may have a different opinion about him to you? I think not.

Alot of members are getting very annoyed at you as it is right now, and I really think it's in your best interest to try and tone yourself down a bit. We all want to debate and discuss things in a friendly way, not in your "OH NO YOU DIDNT JUST SAY THAT" (Normally in large and red) routine which is just annoying.

Please, I speak on behalf of more than just myself here, give it a break.

I agree with spyro on this one, you have to respect other's opinons, and if you don't agree then say why you don't agree, don't have a go at them or get all defensive. You'll learn that sometimes you can't change people's minds, but you shouldn't let that stop you from speaking your own mind. Just don't flame people okay? :)

Also enough with the attacks on aion, please, i know its a bit stupid since he can defend himself quite capably, but i for one can do without hearing you go on about it. If you have a problem with him, just stick it to PMs. Also for the record i don't mind Aion, he does good reviews.

Back