The Wallpaper Appreciation Thread

Andy

Student Council President
So ya wanna make wallpapers? Need some inspiration or ideas? Want feedback on something you've been working on? Or do ya got a request? This is the place for it. Share your works, comment on others, point out some helpful tutorials or galleries you like. They don't even have to be anime, the aim is to encourage each other to become better artists.

So to kick things of, here are a few general pointers that I've picked up over the years:

Keep it simple. Remember, it's a background you're making, so ideally it should be as unobtrusive as possible. Avoid unessecary clutter with too many images and too much text.
Think about layout. Bear the positions of taskbars and icons in mind; we would't want someone hidden behind a row of icons, would we? Have a single focal point, like a face or a character, that draws most of the attention.
Consider colour. Pick a colour scheme that compliments the images you're using and the mood you're going for. Try to limit the colour pallette, and not have too many garishly contrasting colours.
Use large images. Bigger usually means better quality, and scaling down results in lower quality loss than scaling up. If you're cutting out an image, do it manually and take it as close to the edges as possible. It's more time-consuming, but it results in a much cleaner image without a horrible border.
Learn the program. Whether it's Photoshop, Paintshop Pro or GIMP, it should go without saying that the more you use a program, the better you get with it. Learn the different tools, and look out some tutorials for some extra help.
Don't be afraid to experiment. Try using various filters on the background and see what comes out. At the same time, don't go overboard. It's tempting to suddenly apply a new technique to evey single piece, but knowing when to use a particular tech is an important skill.
Keep practicing. Take any criticism on board, think about how to improve, and keep at it. It'll all fall into place in due time.

These are just my own suggestions, and a lot of it is basic art and design sensibilities, but any other little pearls anyone else may have to offer are most welcome. Come on folks, lets hear -and see- them!

As for my own work, here's a couple of Gundam SEED ones I did a while ago, but recently touched up. Looking back, I wasn't happy with them at all, and felt they were far too cluttered. Since I went back to them and cleared out a lot of the unecessary crap, I'm much happier. Still not completely satisfied though.

Thoughts?

There great i really like them, the coulers go really well together, and its not to busy. :3 i like them i think Justice is my fave but id use both on my desktop :3

Charter_Mage said:
They really are very good, i wouldn't even know where to begin making my own desktop, what program do you use
I use Adobe Photoshop. It's pretty much the industry standard for image manipulation and editing, but it's fairly expensive. A cheaper option would be Painshop Pro. It's often referred to as a poor mans Photoshop, because it'll do a lot of the same stuff, but isn't quite as powerful. Another one to try is GIMP. It's freeware and has been getting some pretty positive reviews, but I haven't used it so can't comment on it's capabilities. If anyone uses something else, give it a shout.

Ryo Chan said:
Well everyone is doing it so i thought i'd give it ago

i've not made a wallpaper for 2 years now so sorry if its not that great
That's a good start, I've certainly seen a lot worse. What I'd suggest is making the angel and the moon the centrepiece, and removing the little creature thingys and the poor decapitated girl - you should always try to use complete images, unless you plan on redrawing the lost sections (it's possible, but this example looks a bit too complicated).
Try making the moon bigger and brighter, and give it a light blue tint and aura - the dull grey isn't very inspring. Try to remove the text from the angel's wing, it can be edited out with careful brushing. If you can find one, use a larger, cleaner image, as this one looks a bit pixellated.
One thing I don't like is the text. The colours don't seem right at all, the font used seems a bit too plain, and it's a touch on the large side.
The starscape for the background is nice, the only thing I could suggest for it is to adjust the colouring slightly towards blue.

Just a couple of suggestions to take on board. Other than that, it's good work. Keep at it.

thanks for the tips :)

One thing I don't like is the text. The colours don't seem right at all, the font used seems a bit too plain, and it's a touch on the large side.

i only used that colour scheme because thats the actually scheme of the writing on the logo. i just felt it went well lol

Sir Haggis said:
What I'd suggest is making the angel and the moon the centrepiece
Yeah thats a good idea, i like the whole thing, better than i could do, but i especially like how the girl with wings, the feathers and the moon look together with the blue :)

I must admit photshop is really complex and by far the better program to use if your a professional but, out of choice, i use Paintshop because of its simplicity and then photoshop when i really wanna make something big. Either way heres another FFX one that i made, made using just the clonebrush (and pics and lettering obviously). What you think?

That's pretty good, demonj. At first I thought it was a bit too grey, but it actually works pretty well. The text blends nicely too, not too big and an appropriate colour. Only real criticism I'd have is that the clouds look a bit patchy, especially towards the upper-left area, but that may have more to do with compression settings than anything else. I'd also say make it bigger - 800x600 is too low these days, with most machines running at least 1024x768. I can't say I'm overly fond of the wisp of light (I forget the technical term for them) over Yuna's face, but I can imagine it'd be a sod to edit out. They're only minor points though - it's good work. :)

... I really should get round to finishing this game, shouldn't I?

Cheers thanks for the replies you lot, i have a 800x600 screen so i do wallpapers to suit my screen you see. The clouds are patchy because ive just clone brushed them entirely out of a little image of Tidus in the middle, alot of effort i must say. oh wells im going to make a Last Exile one next i think, still so sad that its over :(

Been a while since I've reared my head in this neck of the woods, but thought I'd put this old Zaku wall up for critique. Whadya all think?

For someone who doesn't like the colour green much, I really like it. :D

Not too detailed but not too plain either. What show's it from if you don't mind my asking?

Mobile Suit Gundam - What else? ;) The ol' Zaku is an iconic design from the original series. Made this one a while back at the request of a friend, and am reasonably chuffed with the way it came out.

Didn't entirely agree, so I went back to it. With this one, I made the whole thing slightly darker, and removed the cutaway entirely. Better or worse - and why?

Back