The Tokyopop Problem.

theirsbailiff

School Idol
Now that Tokyopop's dead in the water here in the UK (Which is a bit of a shame because I was hoping at least the German branch would at least save some titles for English release), I'm somewhat wondering what's going to happen with all their old titles now that they've all become unlicensed... again. I know some have been re-licensed (CLAMP library, Sailor Moon, etc) but for the ones that haven't, would it be a good time now to buy the copies now, wait for some other publisher to re-license the books or just get scans.
If you must know, all I really want to do is continue with my +Anima collection and start work on the .hack one.

No resuces as yet, they lost Sailor Moon (and every other Kodansha title) long before they started to close up shop. The big ones being picked up by Kodansha USA, and any CLAMP stuff by Dark Horse.

Aria and Maria Holic were all I was reading (and Hibiki's Magic, but that still doesn't have volume 3 in Japan having been suspended since '07 due to mangaka's illness)

There's a few big shoujo titles that probaly need resucing too.

Didn't they also have Love Hina back in the day? I imagine that would definitely be worth saving, if anyone around still rmemebers the series that is, but I'm sure something as relatively big as +Anima or .Hack can be found second hand, importing wouldn't be a bad option either

memorium said:
Didn't they also have Love Hina back in the day? I imagine that would definitely be worth saving, if anyone around still rmemebers the series that is, but I'm sure something as relatively big as +Anima or .Hack can be found second hand, importing wouldn't be a bad option either
Another Kodansha licence.
It has been saved, due out in September.

All manga in the UK is import from the USA.

Unless it ws something that is well known you're not going to see any more of it. I'd like to see some more Elemental Gelade but that is not going to happen.

Reaper gI said:
Aria and Maria Holic were all I was reading (and Hibiki's Magic, but that still doesn't have volume 3 in Japan having been suspended since '07 due to mangaka's illness)

I was also reading Aria, as well as Hetalia.

Reaper gI said:
memorium said:
Another Kodansha licence.
It has been saved, due out in September.

All manga in the UK is import from the USA.
Read up on it, well I might as well get rid of the two volumes I do own!

Someone just alerted me that NG Life was Tokyopop. I'd scheduled to buy it come August, but hell no not anymore! I panic-bought most on TBD and then went to amazon for volumes 1,2,4,5 which are sold out everywhere else. My only worry now is they say dispatch takes 1-3 weeks. That seems odd. It probably means they have to order new stock in before they pass it on to me, and they BETTER get hold of copies.

I've lost hear in a number of licenses thanks to this. Worst is Your and my secret, originally released by ADV, canned when they went belly up. Saved by Tokyopop only to be canned by them going belly up on the second last volume -_-

& I was waiting for the final volume of Yubisaki Milk Tea. That's two series' on the second last volume that died on me. :(

Know I'm reviving a dead horse here, but I've managed to buy +Anima Vols 5 - 9. I would've bought Ten as well (And complete my collection in the process) if the cheapest seller (Someone on Waterstones, I think) was selling it somewhere below £25. Tell me there's a cheaper seller somewhere or someone on this forum who's giving that volume.

I got volume 10 a month or so ago, signed up for notification through the book depository. I bought it immediately though and then it was sold out. So yeah, sign up for that ;)

Back