The old days of the web

Ammish

Stand User
You know, Ullemay kinda reminds me of myself ages ago. And I have read through the very old post. Urgh, I was a complete twat back then x_x. But I think everyone starts off there, unless you're an adult.

I was over-dramatic, attention-seeking, into all the stuff everyone into and was very biased from time to time. I'm quite open now and have changed a lot. My taste are very different to what they were ages ago.

The internet can be good for one thing. With a right community, you can change for the better, I guess.

So everyone; tell all of us about your old days on the net. Were you ever like that?

NO.

But I think I probably was a little over-eager, replying to anything and everything with (usually non-contributing) single sentences just to get in on the conversation. It's not really a question of age, it's more a question of maturity how people behave anywhere. Our society seems to be churning out ever more immature adults, which I'd put down to a general lack of personal responsibility.

Ah my first time on a forum, actually i could of been conisdered a lurker with a username. I was shy when posting, and didn't act any differently to my real world self. At the time i didn't see much point in trying to force myself to act different.

Of course as time grew on i posted more and started having fun (never got involved with the heated discussions though, something that is still true today) but then that particular forum died, and i moved about and couldn't find a place to fit in where the people weren't arrogrant and loud. Plus i decided to stay away from Gundam forums for the time being till all the Kira Yamato fans lost their voice.

I think when I came here, I was very much into the random chat and enduring games, just so I could get into a random discussion (rather light-hearted topics and such).
But more recently, I've been quite quiet, and I post every-so-often, only looking at anything a little more constructive than before. I'm still willing to idly chat, but I'm not on for as long as usual (I think I'm thinking more"green" when I turn my PC off after I made a quick post etc. and then wait for answers. probably a pointless ideal.)

As for the surfing, I'm still as plain as usual. I dont venture into much outside the typical, but I do watch more Youtube vids than in the past.

I remember I used to tell everyone to buy anime from ebay because it was so cheap... never gonna live that one down -.-
I also used to get into those heated arguments - then I saw all the arguments. So. Many. Times. Makes it hard to take them seriously any more ^^

Edit - 1000 posts in 4.3 years... wooo...

My early days on the internet were exclusivly spent on Unreal Tournament.

First forum i went on was a skies of arcadia related forum that i somehow managed to meet the only girlfriend i've ever had and kept for longer then a week(few months). Aside from her i dont remember much else of the early days.

I started out in the early days (a side effect of being an old fossil with a parent in the IT business) so I missed out on the phase most people go through of being a little "overenthusiastic". I'm pretty withdrawn anyway so that carried over to my first online personas. I have always been careful to observe a community before joining in to make sure that I will fit in, too. Introverted through and through.

My first forum was an extremely simple roleplaying community. I acted pretty much the same then as I do now with the difference that I've lost a little of my original gullibility. There were no trolls on that forum at all so I never became wound up. The average age of users was an awful lot higher than it is now, I expect, which is part of why it was more relaxed.

Once they started to become more popular I remember that when I'd join chat rooms (about anime/games of course), I'd be frequently teased for actually punctuating. Apparently I always sounded overly formal which was exacerbated by me being a Brit in a world of American fans. I think I've dropped some of that now; my English is very sloppy these days in comparison. That was when I started to meet my first crazy internet folk; including many pretentious "experts" who would spend hours insisting that Son Goku from DB was actually "Son Goko" because that's "how it was written in Japanese" and refuse to consider any evidence to the contrary so they could bask in the respect of the less educated. Funny memories now.

R

My first attempt at the internet was in 94. It was a room on a BBS where people used to share "alternative" software.

I still act over enthusiastic whenever I join something new - forum, community, social network - but I only stick to very few of them.

I do get over-friendly to people, but that happens IRL after I lose the initial shyness. Many people get this wrong, which is understandable.

My current craze is www.couchsurfing.org
Which is basically accepting strangers at your house and staying at strangers houses as well.

92 when I started Uni was my first experience of the internet when you had to find lists of FTP sites to download stuff (for me mainly RPG character sheets and the odd bit of Vax software) and you had no idea what you were getting until you had it downloaded. Also many years were wasted on the forums on the Uni's Vax system, moding for some of it. Then onto a few Goth forums which don't exist anymore entropy tacking its toll. Then when I stared back into anime in a big way I joined a few A & M forums.

I try to be polite and use understandable English when I type, but will let myself get caught up in the drama now and again so probably don't reply to half as many topics as I might. I have to watch what I type as the sarcasm, cynicism and word play I use in real life don't work so well on the net.

When I first started posting on the net, I didn't use capitals, I couldn't spell and I struggled to form decent sentences. It required a lot of insults for me to attempt to come across in a more comprehensible light. My choice of username, 'rpglord7', on a forum where real, far more experienced RPG players existed didn't help my cause.

I copied others a lot. That's more than likely why I treat people with horrible grammar with no respect. I never managed to work in a likeable personality but I'm cool with that - as long as I can get more points across, what others think is neither here nor there. Internet popularity awards don't earn you anything anyway, and I don't enjoy casual conversations. Small talk is a hassle.

Aion said:
When I first started posting on the net, I didn't use capitals, I couldn't spell and I struggled to form decent sentences.
Not that long ago then yeah? ;)

edit: oh, as to the OP, if people say they're not biased towards something at least some of the time, they're either lying or really, really boring.

chaos said:
My current craze is www.couchsurfing.org
Which is basically accepting strangers at your house and staying at strangers houses as well.
Er, are you being serious?

Rui said:
I have always been careful to observe a community before joining in to make sure that I will fit in, too. Introverted through and through.
lol, I don't think that's introverted, just polite. First forum I started reading, I saw the "welcome to the forum, read these rules" post (or it may have been a topic on alt.fan.dragonball, I don't remember), and one of them was about lurking for a bit to judge the tone of the forum. It just sounded like a sensible idea to me, so that's what I've always done when checking out new newsgroups/forums whatever.

I think my first time posting on the internet was on a DBZ UK forum with the username "ShaunyBoy". Guess what my name is. One time I said football sucked and skateboarding was superior. Yes, I was poser, like the average 15 year old. A mod told me to "**** off" as a response, and I responded by telling them a mod shouldn't behave like that and then proceeded to "**** off". Eight years later...

Quite frankly, I don't think I've gotten better or more mature. The only thing that might have improved is my typing because I want to make absolutely sure people will understand me and not call me out for having bad grammar and whatnot. I still make snide or negative remarks a lot. However, I have realised that the internet isn't supposed to be "serius bizness", so I know I can certainly work on being more polite and calm.

I don't think i've changed remarkably. i'm more laid back than i was when i first joined. I've matured, if only a slight amount.
In the beginning i felt i had something to prove. and as time passes the whole concept looked more and more meaningless.

Now i spend time talking to people about things i've been upto whether they be good news or bad, as you would if you'd met up with an old friend and decided to catch up with each other.
my respect for others online grew and now i think i'm at the point that seeing any flaming and childish name calling is just monotonous and tiresome, aswell as un-needed. in the past i'd have charged headfirst into the thick of it and either tried to calm the situation or added fuel to the flame depending on which side i thought was a rightful cause.

:thumb: to everyone i think. because we haven't had a flaming warzone on here for ages now. that atleast shows people are alot more considerate of each others opinions and learnt that a warzone gets us nowhere. so might aswell have a adult convo regarding whatever topic it may be.

Heh, that reminds me of how I used to use a different font and go to the trouble of colouring my text blue. Back then it seemed cool, now I can't be arsed. Either I've matured or gotten more lazy.

Back