The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Movie

Dracos

Dragon Knight
From ANN and some podcast I have listened to over the last couple of days I have heard.
The North American publisher Dark Horse Comics has announced at its Comic-Con International panel on Saturday that film versions of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and MPD-Psycho manga are in development at the Universal film studio.

As few of us have read The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service I would like to find out what people think of this.

I think this could be a disaster waiting to happen. TKCDS is a series with a very Eastern (Buddhist) view on death and spirits. I don't think a Western version can retain the same feel. I can't see a Western priest tolerating and working with this odd bunch of people with their talents in the same way as the Buddhist priest. I am also afraid they will try to make it too dark or too campy on the humour side, and it wont retain the right level of dark humour and truly scary moments that the manga manages well.

I also enjoy MPD-Psycho, but I feel this is a much easier series to change for a Western audience without messing it up. There is a much better chance something like this can work given all the Western police dramas available.

Haven't read TKCDS (though i want to try it at some stage) so can't coment, but MPD-Psycho?!? Gah that manga made me nauseous. Could think of a hundred better titles to convert to movies. Can understand why they picked it as it will appeal to the fans of the Saw and Hostel movies. Main reason against it would be the re-enforcing of the idea that all manga/ anime is sick twisted stuff, much like Urotsukidoji did back in the 90's.

The MPD Psycho manga is horrible. I'm not a big fan of gruesome, sadistic violence for its own sake, and the plot is all over the place. There's a Japanese live action TV mini-series that looks suitably insane but I can't say I'm eager to watch it.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery sounds more interesting.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The MPD Psycho manga is horrible. I'm not a big fan of gruesome, sadistic violence for its own sake, and the plot is all over the place. There's a Japanese live action TV mini-series that looks suitably insane but I can't say I'm eager to watch it.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery sounds more interesting.
I'm the other way round. I kinda like MPD Psycho for it's ridiculous plot and cool style, whereas I found Kurosagi had interesting stories, but little flair (although I've only read the first volume).

Despite that I think it could work as it takes fairly low key apporoach which wouldn't demand much the in way of special effects.

As for live action MPD Psycho, the DVD covers are worse than the show itself - the flower pot head murder things which you see are pixellated out in the show to fit in with Japanese TV censorship! :lol:

I have the live action MPD Psycho DVDs but have yet to watch them. The manga was good to start with, but then just got confusing with all the personalities that could jump bodies.

Back