The Japanese and their Animation.

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
I've flicked myself back to watching some Detective Conan, from the beginning and it got me thinking - Why are the obscurely drawn shows much more prominently featured and popular with the general public within Japan? It also seems like the episodic ideal is much more popular, to add to that.

This comes from the idea of shows like Sazae-san which can draw in 20 million, a la The Simpsons in the US. With the animation (for lack of a better word) rather crude. Even in 2008. This also applies to some of the foundational fictional character in Japan, like Doraemon. Now I know why they are popular (Relating to the audience and such), But with a show looking like that in the west they would get kicked right out the cartoon market. [Note: I understand they they started decades ago]

Shin-chan has found a variable degree of success in the US, but I think that would be the only exception to the whole thing.

Then, With quite a extension, We move onto One Piece. Its obviously not a story about a robot cat or a middle aged women but yet it attracts viewers (Albeit, much less than the others I have mentioned) and one of them reasons I would bet is because of the style of animation.

Now my thoughts are out there, What do you make of the general popularity of the mainstream regular viewing as seen by the Japanese in contrast to the otaku viewers whom watch everything else and [probably] despise such shows. Personally, I'm quite interested in some of the thoughts you guys might concoct.

probably the main reason is it's shown on prime time tv so people who wouldn't normally be interested start watching it,

such as the simpsons

Pfft. You boring foo's you. I wanted to actually see what people interpreted of the more down-to-earth shows, that are more popular with the general folk in Japan with their strange/cheap type of look to them. Rather than the neeky otaku show that has a bit of philosophy in it or is based upon latest visual novel and that has super-duper mega-awesome fluid CG blending animation skillz.

Jayme said:
Pfft. You boring foo's you. I wanted to actually see what people interpreted of the more down-to-earth shows, that are more popular with the general folk in Japan with their strange/cheap type of look to them. Rather than the neeky otaku show that has a bit of philosophy in it or is based upon latest visual novel and that has super-duper mega-awesome fluid CG blending animation skillz.
Yah, I'd think that the reason so many people watch 'em is because they grew up watching them. Most people would probably be aware that there's better-animated stuff or more intellectual stuff, but a) finding new stuff you like takes effort, and b) in Japan, you'd usually have to stay up til the unholy hours of the morning to watch such shows anyway.
Still, that's all just speculation.

Back