The General Conversation Area

I'm asking around forums atm for Dr Martens breaking in tips. I've been suggested hot water instead of the pee method and to hammer the seams at the heels that are ripping me up. Do they seem to be the general methods to use? I'm going to shove newspaper in, use the Dr Martens softening balm and attempt to wear em in the house on the weekends.

Stuck waiting for the arrival of the V5C form for the car I bought back in August, with my insurance company getting increasingly annoyed at me not being able to produce it. :?

-Danielle- said:
I'm asking around forums atm for Dr Martens breaking in tips. I've been suggested hot water instead of the pee method and to hammer the seams at the heels that are ripping me up. Do they seem to be the general methods to use? I'm going to shove newspaper in, use the Dr Martens softening balm and attempt to wear em in the house on the weekends.

Leather? I had some leather army boots at one point and regularly rubbed in Talcum Powder with a soft cloth to soften them and stop them squeaking, also left a bit partially rubbed in on the tongue folds (out of sight) as they squeaked the worst. Leather is pretty much skin so most gentle skin products should have some effect, I've only ever tried talcum powder though.

Cheers for the tip! I've owned them since college but never had the time nor patience to break them in and now I'm older, I reeeeeeally wana wear them so I'm really going to try and persist with the softening of them as once you break them in, they're like your babies for life lol.

Anyone have a penchant for vegetable crisps? I'm loving M&S' sweet potato crisps and Morrisons Carrot & Beetroot packets too. They're soooo healthy! I want to be able to make my own :3

I hate it when stiff leather shoes/boots squeak. oiling and greasing it should help with that.

This one pair of leather shoes I had literally took about a year to get comfortable, they were ridiculous, I don't know why I persisted. The scars are still visible on my heels...I should have probably taken a hammer to them, but the hammer probably would have shattered.

Yeah I have scars on the boney bit under my big toe and on the tendon there through the leather pumps/flats I wear, I wouldnt want the same for my heels. I have some flats that butchered me SO bad to the point I couldnt wear any shoes under they started to scab/get that sort of film over it so since there's less leather on those, I have no idea how I'm going to be ablt to wear them one day.

My wee bunny Tiree just fell off my bed and her nose started bleeding. She was acting quite dazed. I got so frightened, I get really bad anxiety and I was silly I had a panic attack over this. Just couldn't stop crying.
I'm still scared that something will happen to her. I know it's silly but I couldn't take it.

OMG her nose bled? That would be scary! It was scary enough when my Charlie got under my Mums feet and knocked over and cried and he didn't have any physical injuries but his little cry/yelp was AWFUL.

Potentially going to try the new "Shady" burger at Byron Burger on Saturday. I'm worried about the "crispy cheese" on it though. Like if it's cheese on toast like, whether I'd like it.

So happy it's Thursday as it feels like Wednesday lol.

That's crap! I'm waiting on a bunch of the puppies things, my clothes to be delivered to my house but also something to be delivered in store to Zara so it's bloody slow for me too atm. Grrrrrrgle.

I've ran out of my best of both tea bags at work, having to have a 2nd coffee :(

serpantino said:
Royal Mail is being so slow :(. Still waiting on about 4 things that were sent out first class post on Monday.
Yeah they have been incredibly slow past few weeks, Godzilla was supposed to arrive Monday, and it arrived yesterday. My comics for the week usually arrive Thurs/Fri, but lately they been coming Sat/Mon, nothing today so I hope to God they come tomorrow.

Hi all, preachy charitable, door step seller post from me now, I hope you don't mind.

The Manchester & Cheshire Dogs home was burnt down last night by a 14 year old t*at. This cost the lives of 50 dogs. 150 were successfully saved. Those in the neighbourhood could hear so much yelping and crying of these innocent babies who could do nothing but wait and hope to survive. If I heard all those yelps, I would of had a breakdown. I cried last night needless to say.

Anyway, they're now trying to build back what was lost and try to foster the surviving dogs until they can be housed at another centre or even the home once checked for safety. They need blankets, food and care. A Just Giving page has been set up with a 5k target. So far they've made over 300k. If you can spare any change at all, be it giving up a latte for a day or something like that, please donate. I'll be giving up lattes/breakfast bagels for a week and donating that when I get home later.

Here's the page:

https://www.justgiving.com/manchesterdogshomemen

Here's some articles. Apparently the death toll has hit 60 now :'(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-29170371
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ma ... ro-4206232

This piece of sh*t and waste of oxygen will probably only be charges for arson. If that were people, not dogs he would get sent down for murder. I think the same should apply for these poor defenseless dogs. Makes me so mad and want to cry and go home and hug my dogs :(

I went out to buy a carrier for Tiree today since I've now got her a vet appointment for Tuesday. Just general checking out and for after her wee bump. While I was buying it I donated money through the local Pets at Home. I just rounded up the amount. It's an awful thing :( those poor poor dogs </3

So I just spent 5 hours creating a character and sorting out its skills, weapons and abilities for a pen & paper RPG. Doing it for the first time with barely any breaks as well.

We're starting the game tomorrow but holy hell that took ages.

We're using a book called Pathfinder and since it's his first time also (the person making the story), he's cropping down parts of the game so that we don't end up dragging on for dozens of hours (like 40 for instance). We're basically playing along with most of the rules to start off with for a decent 16 hour adventure.

Today the Japanese embassy told me I will never be allowed to live and work in Japan, and may not even be allowed to go there for the year abroad mandatory on my uni course. The reason? Because when I was 17 years old I was arrested and cautioned (not convicted) for possession of a tiny amount of cannabis. :( I just gave them the hypothetical details mind you, not my real name and record. I didn't think the Japanese government would be even be allowed unrestricted access to a years old youth caution like that, especially after they were supposed to have been made more undisclose-able to employers and whatnot, at least in this country, since last year, but who knows, I guess a foreign government can have access to whatever when approving your visa. I'm quite devastated about all this. It's f*cking ridiculous. I've worked towards getting on this Japanese BA course for years, finally got onto it, and a year into it I am now discovering that I will never be able to study or work in Japan, and so essentially never be able to do anything effing meaningful with this skill and degree I've dedicated the last how many years of my life towards. And all because I got caught with a couple spliffs when I was teenager. :lol: :(

I have no idea how cautions work but they are still extremely tough on drugs there; my friend was interrogated for ages once on arrival and a friend-of-a-friend had a long interview after (legally and with all of the right paperwork) bringing some medicine in which wasn't usually permitted. The spate of extremely high profile celebrity drugs cases probably hasn't helped lately.

There's still plenty you can do even if they decide to hold it against you with regards to the visa though, I'm sure :(

How did you discover you might have trouble?

R

Back