Samurai Pizza Cats SDBD is now OOP on Rightstuf and Amazon and joins the gradually-growing list.

I've been very lucky then! I bought it during last week's Discotek sale. I tried buying it in December, but back then it was the only item from the order that was out of stock and it stayed like that for a long time, so I decided to cancel that part of the order and wait until it was discounted again.

As I haven't used Otaku for online shopping (last purchase I made with them was at MCM), I have no clue how fast their speed is for getting items from the US to UK while with UP1 it can be at least 7-10 working days.
I'm not sure if this is any help in gauging timescales, but Ultimate Muscle's release date was 30 May (according to Amazon US anyway) - I ordered it from Otaku and it arrived on 5 June

Discotek's September 2023 line-up is now available to order on Rightstuf.

AnimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
CB Character Go Nagai World$19.95Japanese
with English Subs
3 OVAsBlu-ray
Jeans Blues No Future
明日なき無頼派
$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
Film
[NIHON NIGHTS]
Blu-ray
The Legend of Calamity Jane$39.95English
with English Subs
13 episodesSD Blu-ray
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Detonation$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
Sgt. Frog Seasons 3 & 4$59.95Japanese
with English Subs
102 episodesSD Blu-ray

A few mini-updates. This Saturday at 5:45pm is the Discotek Otakon panel as well as an online streamed extended version for those who can't attend Otakon like us brits. You can view the stream live on their Twitch channel.

Konosuba 2 - Aqua Logic 1.gif

In out of print news, Konosuba Season 1 is now no longer available (except for the Steelbook version). Konosuba is one of Crunchyroll's licenses that Discotek was able to release so it's best to speculate that, what has happened with the DVD & combo pack batch from years ago, is now re-occurring here. Below is a list of Crunchyroll titles that I recommend you get sooner than later.

Anime Name:Content:Year:Audio:Released:
Angel's 3Piece!Project No.9
TV: 12 episodes
2017​
Japanese
31st March
$39.95
Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test PlatoonSilver Link
2015​
Japanese
31st March
$39.95
Available in the UK by Anime Ltd
Big OrderAsread
TV: 11 episodes
2016​
Japanese
24th November
$39.95
CaligulaSatelight
2018​
Japanese
25th August
$39.95
IsucaArms
2015​
Japanese
27th October
$39.95
Poco's Udon WorldLiden Films
2016​
Japanese
26th May
$39.95
She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-Liden Films
TV: 4 episodes
2016​
English
Japanese
26th May
$24.95
Girly Air ForceSatelight
2019​
Japanese
28th December
$49.95
Konosuba Season 2Studio Deen
2017​
English
Japanese
23rd February
$49.95
Magical Girl OrePierrot+
2018​
Japanese
25th May
$39.95
Aho GirlDiomedéa
2017​
Japanese
30th August
[1500 UNITS] $29.95
As Ms. Beelzebub Likes ItLiden Film
2018​
Japanese
31st May
$39.95
Holmes of KyotoStudio Seven
2018​
Japanese
26th July
[1500 UNITS] $39.95
Konosuba Season 1Studio Deen
2016​
English
Japanese
26th April
[Steelbook] $69.95
Konosuba Season 2Studio Deen
2017​
English
Japanese
27th September
[Steelbook] $69.95
Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen NoodlesStudio Gokumi, AXsiZ
2018​
Japanese
29th March
$39.95
Ms. Vampire Who Lives In My NeighborhoodStudio Gokumi, AXsiZ
2018​
Japanese
22nd February
$39.95
Planet WithJ.C. Staff
2018​
Japanese
30th August
$39.95
Skull-face Bookseller Honda-sanDLE
2018​
Japanese
29th March
$39.95
To Be Hero and To Be HeroineStudio LAN
TV: 19 episodes
2016​
Japanese
Mandarin
25th October
[2000 UNITS] $29.95
Yowamushi Pedal: New GenerationTMS Ent.
TV: 25 episodes
2017​
Japanese
28th June
$39.95

Discotek's September 2023 line-up is now available to order on Rightstuf.

CB Character Go Nagai World$19.95Japanese
with English Subs
3 OVAsBlu-ray
Jeans Blues No Future
明日なき無頼派
$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
Film
[NIHON NIGHTS]
Blu-ray
The Legend of Calamity Jane$39.95English
with English Subs
13 episodesSD Blu-ray
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Detonation$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
Sgt. Frog Seasons 3 & 4$59.95Japanese
with English Subs
102 episodesSD Blu-ray
The Legend Of Calamity Jane certainly stands out given its not an anime but that's okay as Discotek have released various non anime shows. Also did that show ever air in the UK?. I know it aired briefly in the US due to it I think being w bit too violent for Kids WB (which i find weird cause they were airing The New Batman Adventures at the same time and that got pretty dark and a bit violent at times)

DISCOTEK PANEL: OTAKON STREAM EXTENDED (JUlY '23) EDITION:

Discotek's yearly Otakon news panel has finally made its appearance, but this time they are giving us two versions - one for those who are currently attending Otakon, and an online version which is the same content but a bit longer as there's restrictions with timing over at Otakon. The online version is also useful as they had streaming issues at the convention in the past.

To recap, here's the currently known titles as of this point:
  • Aim for the Ace: Another Match
  • Blue Comet SPT Layzner
  • Fist of the North Star: The Legends of the True Savior: Legend of Yuria & Legend of Toki
    Fist of the North Star: The Legends of the True Savior: Legend of Raoh: Chapter of Fierce Fight
  • Fist of the North Star: The Legends of the True Savior: Zero: Legend of Kenshiro
  • Mazinger Z Collection 1 + 2
  • Medarot Damashii
  • Sgt. Frog Season 5 + 6 + 7
  • Urusei Yatsura Collection 3 + 4
  • The Wonderful World of Puss 'N Boots

Announcement #1 | Overman King Gainer
TV Series - Blu-ray (HD)
  • 2002 series by Sunrise with director Yoshiyuki Tomino, written by Ichirō Ōkouchi, and character designs by Yoshihiro Nakamura
  • Japanese (2.0 & 5.1) with English subtitles & English dub
  • Complete series
  • Blu-ray is an upscale
  • This is one of the titles Sentai had from their Sunrise package deal back in 2013 (s-cry-ed was one of those for context).
  • Clean OP/ED, Digest Episodes, Making-of featurette, promo clips
Announcement #2 | Cybersix
TV Series - Blu-ray (HD) (previously released on DVD)
  • 1999 series by Carlos Trillo, Carlos Meglia, Network of Animation & TMS Entertainment (this is a Japan-Canada co-production)
  • English DTS HD Master Audio 2.0
  • First Blu-ray release in the world, with new upscale
  • Extras include Original pilot, audio commentaries, liner notes, clean & short OP/EDs, extensive art galleries & tv promo clips
  • All rare development documents included
  • PDFs are on the disc which requires a PC.
Announcement #3 | Goku Midnight Eye
OVA Series - Blu-ray (HD) (previously released on DVD)
  • 1989 OVAs by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Buichi Terasawa & Madhouse
  • Japanese with English subtitles & English dub
  • Brand new high-definition scan from the camera negative (from that vault)
  • Both Urban Vision and Manga Entertainment UK English dubs are included.
  • Extras include a discussion with Kawajiri and Terasawa from the 80s, plus a brief making-of featurette.
Announcement #4 | Crying Freeman
OVA Series - Blu-ray (HD) (previously released on DVD)
  • 1988 OVAs by studio Toei Animation
  • Japanese with English subtitles & English dub
  • All six uncut episodes
  • Brand new high-definition scan from the camera negative (from that vault)
  • Both Streamline Pictures and Manga Entertainment UK English dubs are included.
  • Fun fact: Discotek did release this on DVD many years ago and was out of print.
  • Fun fact #2: The UK VHS releases were cut by the BBFC.
  • Extras include vintage trailers, recap episode for Episode 3, and a look at all the weird stuff Streamline & Manga did with their VHS release (to hide all of the Japanese-ness as they say).
Announcement #5 | Lupin the Third: Seven Days Rhapsody
TV Special - Blu-ray (HD)
  • 2006 TV Special by TMS Entertainment
  • Japanese with English subtitles
  • High-Definition upscale
  • Liner notes and commercial spots.
Announcement #6 | Tachigui: The Amazing Lives of the Fast Food Grifters (立喰師列伝)
Film - Nihon Nights Blu-ray (HD)
  • 2006 film directed by Mamoru Oshii
  • First time Blu-ray anywhere in the world.
  • Part of the Kerberos Saga (with Jin-Roh lol), and inspired by Episode 99 of Urusei Yatsura
  • Also features staff from anime like Shoji Kawamori and Kenji Kawai (also the composer for the film)
  • Feature length documentaries on SuperLiveMation, extensive liner notes, theatrical trailer, and a 40 min discussion with Oshii on character development.
F2OI1xzbwAAO7ao.jpg

Status Update #1 | The Bullet Train (新幹線大爆破)
Film - Nihon Nights Blu-ray (HD)
  • The HD transfer has been freshly recoloured shot by shot
  • Translation has been drastically improved and redone
  • English International Version has been reconstructed with the new color corrected footage.
  • Coming your way real soon.
  • They showed comparisons with Eureka Entertainment's release.
Announcement #7 | Chargeman Ken
TV Series - Blu-ray (HD) (previously released on DVD)
  • 1974 series by Knack Productions
  • Mike Toole's favourite anime
  • Native HD transfers from the film masters (not an SD-BD shocker).
  • Freshly updated subtitles.
  • All 65 episodes are on one disc, length is about 7-10 mins each.
  • Liner notes from the DVD release are also included.
Other Notes!
  • Social media is getting a facelift
  • YouTube channel is relaunching
  • Expanding to other platforms because Twitter is a mess.
  • Discotek now has a TikTok channel.
  • They have a Threads account as well.
  • Email Newsletter coming soon.
Announcement #8 | Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
Film - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (HD) (previously released on Blu-ray & DVD)
  • 1994 film by Group TAC
  • Coming to 4K with HDR10! The disc destroyed Discotek (film dirt almost eradicated)
  • HDR helped with the dark spots. One of the best looking UHD HDR anime discs.
  • Japanese with English subtitles & every English dub version (US, UK, PG-13 etc.)
  • All of the language options and extra features from their previous Blu-ray release are included on the disc.
  • 3 newly-added Japanese trailers they found too late for their previous release is now included here.
Announcement #9 | Lady Georgie
TV Series - SD on Blu-ray
  • 1983 series by TMS Entertainment
  • All 45 episodes in Standard Definition and on one SD-BD disc.
  • 80s classic shoujo series (Discotek suggests getting shoujo titles sooner than later)
  • First time release for the US
  • Discotek describes the series as Marmalade Boy x Rose of Versailles
  • Brand-new subtitle translation by Australian translator Jonathan Gamra (with Australian slang toned down)
Announcement #10 | Digimon Adventure 02
TV Series - Blu-ray (HD)
  • 2000 series by Toei Animation
  • All 50 episodes for the English Version & Japanese Version (split like Season 1 was).
  • Another AstroRes upscale (using the best Japanese footage found) and first-time Blu-ray release in the world.
  • English release includes galleries.
F2OUaPoa4AERrbZ

Announcement #11 (Bonus) | Digimon Movie Collection 1
Film Collection - Blu-ray (HD)
  • Film Collection 1 consists of :
    • Digimon Adventure the Movie
    • Digimon Adventure: Our War Game!
    • Digimon Adventure 02: Digimon Hurricane Landing!!
    • Digimon the Movie
  • All three films are presented in its original uncut form, with new uncut English dubs featuring the classic cast, and you also have the edited English version that Fox Kids released internationally. So it's 3 films + 1 film edit.
  • Sound Cadence was involved with the dub.
  • Japanese audio with English subtitles is also included.
  • Discotek states:
    • the tone of the new dubs is a mix between classic Digimon dubs & a bit more straight.
    • The new dubs use the Japanese music.
    • Digimon the Movie has the soundtrack.
    • There is no short before Digimon the Movie.

Discotek's October 2023 line-up was revealed during the panel.

Cybersix--English
with English HOH
13 episodesBlu-ray
Mazinger Z Collection 1--Japanese
with English Subs
46 episodesBlu-ray
Midnight Eye Goku--English & Japanese
with English Subs
2 OVAsBlu-ray
Urusei Yatsura Collection 3--Japanese
with English Subs
eps 107-149Blu-ray
The Wonderful World of Puss n' Boots--English & Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray

Last edited:
Excellent lineup, lots of good throughout, Street Fighter 2 4K being an excellent example. in addition to getting more Digimon Adventure with 02, it is absolutely wild to me that the Digimon movies are represented in their original forms with a new dub (featuring the original cast who could return) AND 'The Movie' is here with the soundtrack intact (that includes Smash Mouth, Fatboy Slim and The Barenaked Ladies), incredible.

Can't wait.

This is an interesting panel because half of the announcements were format upgrades which I do appreciate, as it also means a better video presentation.

Crying Freeman is the best announcement in my opinion, because not only is that getting a proper HD remaster, but it's also a classic Anime Nasty title that did go out of print by Discotek Media roughly half a decade ago, so to see the OVAs make its return does spark some hope for a few others out there like Mad Bull 34 if the original masters are found.

Street Fighter II in 4K was unexpected but I did suspect this would happen as I did pickup the Blu-ray earlier in the year. Now they are bringing over the extras but there was no harm owning that Blu-ray just in case. And the benefit of UHD is that it's all-region which makes accessibility much better.

The Bullet Train taking its time I suppose was reasonable given the amount of controversy that came from Eureka's release. No harm double-dipping as Discotek's films are pretty cheap to import.

Lady George is a nice inclusion to the catalogue as a classic 80s shoujo and they did state that if you want to own this type of series that it should be ordered sooner than later so I'll look into it when I can.

The only issue I had was that the hyped up the finale to be something big and to be honest I don't consider Digimon Adventure 02 to be a massive deal as it was pretty evitable that this would be picked up sooner. It's still a good announcement but the best type of announcements are the unpredictable ones, and a perfect example was the one that literally just came after which was the Digimon Movie collection. That's a massive deal given the history of the film's releases and licensing involved so that to me would have made for a big hype finale than what the panel had.

Overall a solid panel and I suppose it could have been bigger in content but they did place half of them forward by a month so what we got was more on the quality over quantity at least.

Good to see King Gainer back in circulation after a decade of being OOP. I tracked down the DVDs on eBay last year, so I won't be buying this new upscale, but it's well worth getting for anyone curious about what a Tomino show looks like when the super robot crazy level is cranked up to 11. Here's hoping Brain Powerd will be following soon after.

I'm impressed that they're keeping to a steady 3-month schedule for those UY sets, considering that they're 50 episodes each.

Nice to see some more 90s OAVs resurrected too, even if Freeman isn't among my top picks from the old Manga UK catalogue.

Good to see King Gainer back in circulation after a decade of being OOP. I tracked down the DVDs on eBay last year, so I won't be buying this new upscale, but it's well worth getting for anyone curious about what a Tomino show looks like when the super robot crazy level is cranked up to 11. Here's hoping Brain Powerd will be following soon after.

I'm impressed that they're keeping to a steady 3-month schedule for those UY sets, considering that they're 50 episodes each.

Nice to see some more 90s OAVs resurrected too, even if Freeman isn't among my top picks from the old Manga UK catalogue.
Discotek has confirmed they have updated the subtitles to flow better if that helps. Regarding UY, I believe them re-using AnimEigo's translation is probably why they managed to keep the pace.

Discotek has confirmed they have updated the subtitles to flow better if that helps.
Hmm, maybe. I do seem to recall the dialogue not making sense at times, but figured that was par for the course in a show where robot cockpits have giant zippers. I doubt a new translation (;)) will turn it into Zeta Gundam, to be honest. It's mainly a show to watch for the action scenes.

Street fighter II: The Animated Movie was one of the few early Discotek titles I hadn’t picked up yet, so I’ll be getting the 4K release for sure.

Announcement #9 | Lady Georgie
TV Series - SD on Blu-ray
  • 1983 series by TMS Entertainment
  • All 45 episodes in Standard Definition and on one SD-BD disc.
  • 80s classic shoujo series (Discotek suggests getting shoujo titles sooner than later)
  • First time release for the US
  • Discotek describes the series as Marmalade Boy x Rose of Versailles
  • Brand-new subtitle translation by Australian translator Jonathan Gamra (with Australian slang toned down)

More vintage shoujo is always good! The comparison with Marmalade Boy and Rose of Versailles immidiately grabbed my attention.

I wonder if they're ever going to bother with Candy Candy (1976), especially when they suggest to get shoujo series sooner than later. But that one is probably too long (115eps) to bother.

More classic shonen/seinen is also appreciated. Touch (1985) is very high on my list and a blu ray version of Maison Ikkoku (1986) is also welcome. Very unlikely to happen though... Both are probably too long (around 100eps each). I believe Discotek has also stated already that the license of Maison Ikkoku is too expensive and it's in general too big of a risk due to the poor sales when Viz released the dvd version of that series.

More vintage shoujo is always good! The comparison with Marmalade Boy and Rose of Versailles immidiately grabbed my attention.

I wonder if they're ever going to bother with Candy Candy (1976), especially when they suggest to get shoujo series sooner than later. But that one is probably too long (115eps) to bother.

More classic shonen/seinen is also appreciated. Touch (1985) is very high on my list and a blu ray version of Maison Ikkoku (1986) is also welcome. Very unlikely to happen though... Both are probably too long (around 100eps each). I believe Discotek has also stated already that the license of Maison Ikkoku is too expensive and it's in general too big of a risk due to the poor sales when Viz released the dvd version of that series.

I'd love to see Touch and a licence rescue for MI on Blu-ray! :)

And I'm really excited for Lady Georgie! :)

Back