The current state of Nottingham Forest F.C

Is out of here

Great Teacher
The football club I support.

"Living in the past" could mean a lot of different things:

Obsession with Clough-like 'simple' (i.e. it was unworkable way before he retired) approach to the game

Bottom-to-top antiquated means of running a club in the modern era, e.g. shop, ticketing, administration, training all run in an early nineties manner

Staff motivation stems from a mistaken belief that we are 'better' or bigger than Villa or Spurs, still.

There's no real talents, no real heros and hasn't been for ages. Never mind dreaming of a Collymore, we'd kill for a Dave Phillips or an Ian Woan right now. But the club, meaning staff and/or fans, won't admit this

Obsession with Clough himself

Kinnear talking utter rot as usual

...and the 'core' of the club? Is that the top brass/menial staff/squad stalwarts/fans?

Dig into it enough and neither comment (both of which were said most likely out of a desire to provide a quote and **** off out of the car park to check what clubs have managers nearing the sack) really could be said to mean much of anything at all, rather than anything else. More "seagulls and trawler" than "If god had wanted football to be played in the sky". The only way to stop the press putting whatever spin they want on a story or quote is to give them something enigmatic.

There WAS a cynical culture at the club. Kinnear clearly worsened something which probably started under Hart, Megson drove it almost all the way out and paid for his success in doing so with his job. Calderwood - I don't know. Is he allowing old ways to creep back? Are our current tribulations and slow-witted attempts at victory attributable to other things?

We've done **** all for a decade because we suck. Scholar and his c**ts raped us, made us suck and Doughty came to the rescue, immediately committing his one true massive b*****ks-up by hiring ****-Face the Inept for two seasons before the FA intervened in our plight and tempted him away from our twitching corpse. And despite a youth academy not bettered by a club of our means, we've managed to keep sucking for all this time.

Small wonder though - we didn't get back in time. It died with that Walker OG against Sheff U in the playoffs. Too long has passed, we have fans whove never tasted success and they rightly p**s and moan because they've had a lifetime of being the biggest penis in the Midlands, yet unable to maintain an erection.

We've got players who've never tasted success - so they've no frame of reference for what they are missing out on by not winning. Man U won trophies because they'd won trophies. Gets addictive, like losing. Players are thinking if they can spend the next decade on 5k a week at clubs challenging for promotion from League One, they needn't bother with this Championship stuff, their house won't get much bigger, their beaver much fitter or their happiness much greater by languishing in relegation battles. They are cynical, inasmuch as they won't believe in something they've seen no evidence of, so really as an atheist I can't blame them for feeling that way if indeed they do.

And we've a manager who must, for all his untimely tactical ineptitude (CC can **** a game as soon as win it, on his day), be wondering what the frelling heck is going on. Garner - out for ages, just coming into things. Moussi - Great-off-colour-out for ages. Cohen out when you need him most. Earnshaw - in and out and never quite sharp, blame Derby? McGugan - out or suspended, again when you need him most. Smith - suddenly he's **** compared to an unwanted Derby reject. Bennet - out, and no real continuity of improvement from last time. Wilson - what happened there? Everything was fine! Tyson - run like horse, kick like little bitch. Davies - what is he? Cole - b****y hell.

You know, none of those things he could really have forseen. I'll grant you that in Chambers' case he should play him centre-back or shoot the poor f**ker but other than that, he must be sctratching his head. Even building a good side you need a few breaks as a manager to maintain progress. But he is building a good side. We aren't just sad about the fact that we suck, we are angry that the squad we've got isn't lower mid table at least. And we so easily could have been. I think, on the latter point at least, we'd probably all feel much the same as CC does right now.

I think he's a bit fo a Forest fan though, inasmuch as like ourselves he's aware of our strengths and using all of his gusto to get them out there on the pitch. It just didn't really work very well at all with Sheffied Utd.

Back