The 85th Annual Academy Awards (Oscars 2013)

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
Tonight's the biggest night of the year in Hollywood...The Oscars!

I'm sure as many of you know from the "rate the last film" thread, I'm a huge movie freak and see most of what gets released. So naturally I take an interest in the Oscars, I like to see if the movies/people I feel were the most deserving are rewarded (often they're not :( ).

Anyway, on this site you can fill in a ballot of who you think is going to win the awards. Here's mine!

I made it quite clear early on that I thought Argo was the best film of the past season and I'm sticking by that, I was totally shocked (along with a lot of people) that Affleck never got a Best Director nom as I would've had him pinned down to do the double. But it's nice to see he's picked up every other award for it along the way. I've got a few bets on for tonight and I actually managed to snag Argo at a nice 7/1 to win best pic back when the nominations got announced, you'd never have got anywhere near that price since last July.

Since Affleck's out of the Best Director race I've plumped for Ang Lee, who was decent value in the race at 7/2 (now 5/2). I think Lee done much better job than Spielberg in getting me emotionally invested in his film (a film I didn't think I was going to particularly care for going into), and created such a stunning visual landscape. For the same reason I took Life of Pi for most of the technical awards (sound mixing, cinematography and visual effects). Benh Zeitlin at 40/1 was just something for a bit of fun though.

Daniel Day Lewis seems almost nailed on for an historic 3rd best Actor award, and while his portrayal of Lincoln is as "lifelike" as I can imagine, I wouldn't actually mind seeing Bradley Cooper come riding in on a dark horse to steal this. I thought his portrayal in Silver Linings was excellent and it actually got me to like him for the first time since The Hangover. I've not got a bet on in this category but Cooper at 40/1 might be worth an interest is all I'll say.

Silver Linings as a whole brings a great deal more to the table in terms of other potential Oscar wins. It's an acting powerhouse of a movie from top to bottom and Jennifer Lawrence is hopefully going to bag the Best Actress, something she was unlucky to be up against Natalie Portman for back in 2011. There's no real competition for Lawrence but Emmanuel Riva is probably one of the only others I saw in terms of performance who would be deserving of something, she was a huge outsider early on, but a couple of awards have since come her way shortening her chances into 9/4. In terms of an interest I took Quvenzhane Wallis at 33/1, her turn in Beasts of the Southern Wild was wonderfully captivating. De Niro and Jackie Weaver also have nominations in the Best Supporting Actor and Actress categories respectively, but I think those are made for Christoph Waltz and Anne Hathaway. I'm certainly hoping Waltz gets it, as not only was he the most memorable and outlandish of the roles of the nominees (an important factor for supporting role chances), but I took him early on at 25/1, so a win there would pay nice dividends seeing as he's now into 6/4.

Another I think Silver Linings has a great chance of winning is Best Adapted Screenplay. It's a sharp, well crafted, emotional and uplifting script that should really tick all the boxes, it's main competition in my eyes is obviously Argo. Original Screenplay is a no brainer, any script with the name Quentin Tarantino on it is an automatic contender and I think it's pretty much in the clear here.

And the last "major" one, with an added extra for us anime lovers, would be best Animated Film. I loved Wreck-It Ralph! something I can't honestly say about any of the others, Brave started off well but fell away quite badly. This past season Disney actually managed to out-Pixar Pixar, which is quite ironic in a sense seeing as they own them.

Anyway, now that I've rambled on does anyone else have thoughts on tonight's proceedings? Who do you think or want to see winning the awards? Will you be watching the show? (I won't as I don't have Sky Movies :cry: ).

I'm going to be staying up for the Oscars tonight. Looking forward to the James Bond tribute in particular. I think Argo has the momentum for Best Picture at the moment and it would be a very deserving win. Apart from Daniel Day-Lewis for Best Actor the rest is fairly unpredictable which is exciting.

I'm rooting for Roger Deakins to get the nod for cinematography though, Skyfall was a beautiful film and it's about time he got an Oscar. He's won a few of the critics awards too which I hope works in his favour.

Well, I was personally quite pleased with the results. Argo, Ang Lee and Waltz all winning netted me a cool £81.50. The only real disappointment in terms of who got what was Best Animated Feature, I personally think there is absolutely no way Brave should've won that and Wreck-It Ralph was robbed.

I didn't get Best Supporting Actress, so I am pissed off.

I liked Brave, but I certainly do think Wreck-It Ralph was better. I wish Judi Dench had at least got a Best Supporting Actress nomination.

I thought the show was pretty sweet this year. Seth MacFarlane was ace, and was allowed a fair bit of leeway with his jokes (or, more likely, just didn't care).

Seems to be cool to hate on Anne Hathaway these days, but I think she is a) generally cute and awesome and b) was outstanding in Les Mis.

Back