Tenchi Timeline help

Bluedragon

Brigade Leader
Hi i joined up to this site a long time ago now when my anime addiction first started and i have not been very active purely because my gaming and anime time now takes up most the day:).

Anyway enough of that my main reason for making the thread is that im looking for some help with the Tenchi Muyo series. Basically to cut a long story short i have the OVA's/Ryo Oki and Tenchi in Tokyo but theres 2 movies and a whole host of other stuff that im totally lost in.

So i was wondering if anyone here knows what the correct "viewing order" is for the tenchi series.

For an example does it go

Movies
GPX
OVA

and so on im pretty sure that is not correct but im doing it just as an example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

p.s i have already tried google checking all this and if anything that makes things worse:(

Why not as for something simple like world peace, zero point enegry or a combined wave particle theory. The first and most important thing to remember is that a most of the series are stand alone and can be watched pretty much independently, but there are two main time lines

1) Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki
This include OVA's, Tenchi Muyo GXP and the Daughter of Darkness movie and the Mihoshi special . Main differences are that Sasami is merged with Tsunami and is technially one of the three most powerful beings in universe and Ryoko has been on earth for the last 700 yrs and was a slave of Kagato

2) Tenchi Universe
This includes the Tenchi Universe series, and the Tenchi in Love and Tenchi in Love 2 movies. Tenchi In Tokyo is more linked to this time line though there are discrepancies in past history (it is almost a stand alone series drawing ideas from all the other material). Main difference is the addition of Kiyone another Galaxy Police member

There is alot of other material like pretty sammy and the Sasami: Mahou Shoujo Club which have links to the series but are stand alone.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks i was aware that there aint really 1 solid timeline as it spins off all over the damn place but what you have set out helps me alot as ive got a general idea of a timeline and now get to make my own choices:)

Thanks once again

Ryo Chan said:
U forgot Tenchi in Tokyo

but that's probually a good thing
hopeful_monster said:
2) Tenchi Universe
This includes the Tenchi Universe series, and the Tenchi in Love and Tenchi in Love 2 movies. Tenchi In Tokyo is more linked to this time line though there are discrepancies in past history (it is almost a stand alone series drawing ideas from all the other material). Main difference is the addition of Kiyone another Galaxy Police member
Literacy is a wonderful thing.

Tenchi expert checking in.

There are 3 distinct timelines. you have the ova's 1 2 and 3, you have the tenchi universe timeline and the tenchi in tokyo timeline. The ova's came first, followed by universe and finally tokyo. the movies tie into different timelines and tell different stories, they arent sequels.

Then you have the spin-offs such as GXP and Pretty Girl Sammy or whatever name it goes by these days. Not exactly tenchi lore, there are a few cameos but thats about as far as it goes.

There is no distinct viewing order for tenchi, since all the story lines have different beginings and plots. just depends on what series is your favourite.

Back