Tenchi in Tokyo

masaki86

Brigade Leader
Seeing as most of you will probably have watched Tenchi over the course of your anime career; what do you guys think of Tenchi in Tokyo.

I Know it is usually considered the bad egg of the series; and rightly so tbh, but it still is a cool show. I was checking some of my recordable tapes, and I found one with the first half of the series on. Was great fun watching it, especially as I got to see my all time favouriter anime episode

Tenchi In Tokyo 11: Ryoko's Big Date.

I think I'm gonna buy this series on dvd now, something I have wanted to do for quite some time, but due to limited funds, I never could-however, getting a student loan, and working has its perks!!

What I saw of it, having quite the soft spot for the Tenchi tree of anime, I have to say I was bitterly disappointed with. The animation was terrible - it felt like it had been made before Ryo-Okhi and Tenchi TV at times; I hated the drawing style too - another backwards step from the other series under the same umbrella; I didn't like the character of Sakuya at all, although I admit it was nice to see Tenchi actually showing an interest in a girl. I think I only saw the first 3 or 4 episodes before giving up on it.

Well, my general feelings about the series can be found here , even though I gave it 6/10 that's not to say there weren't some entertaining moments (for some reason I really liked the part where fake Nobuyuki is running around saying "I'm in love, I'm in love..I want you to be mine" to every woman he meets). I haven't got around to it yet but I probably will pick up the DVDs eventually, the signature series rereleases seem to be going fairly cheaply on amazon marketplace.

i've only seen bits of it from when it was cut up on toonami and tbh i thought it was pants.

as huge of a tenchi fan as i am i don't think i'm even going to touch the dvd's

I really didn't like it at all. Apart from the pig ugly animation, the story was boring and I couldn't stand any of the characters; they all seemed to have had a personality transplant!
I think taking Tenchi away from the girls and his home was a big mistake. It's the only Tenchi I won't watch again and have never bothered getting on DVD or video!

I agree with the whole anti-sakuya thing. We all know the fans want to see Tenchi and Ryoko, so why bloody go about a whole 26 episodes with them living 100's of miles away...

I agree with the whole anti-sakuya thing. We all know the fans want to see Tenchi and Ryoko, so why bloody go about a whole 26 episodes with them living 100's of miles away...

tbh it was the whole sasami with the ryo-ohki thank that put me off the most.

everyone knows sasami doesn't need a tank

she's pretty sammy

Ryo Chan said:
tbh it was the whole sasami with the ryo-ohki thank that put me off the most.

Making Ryo-Ohki a pink mecha only made it worse. They tried so hard to make Sasami cute in Tokyo that she started to get irritating.

Still, while it's not classic Tenchi, it's still an OK series. I prefer the 2nd half of the series I think, when things start to get slightly darker and more serious.

As for the anti- Sakuya thing, I don't understand why everyone hated her so much. Again, she was a little irritating at the beginning of the series, but soon you see why Tenchi is falling for her. And for once, she appears to be largely without superpowers. :wink:

Favourite is still the original OAV series. I also love the TV (Tenchi Universe) series, although I know a lot of people don't since it changes the universe and the characters around a bit. Still, I really loved it, espeically the fact that they took an entire episode to end it properly. Instead of just rushing to the ending, the went for a bit of an epilogue instead, so that really helped to make the series for me.

Back