Tekkonkinkreet for an Oscar?

I've yet to watch Tekkonkinkreet, but it'd be good to see it in the nominations for an Oscar. After all, wasn't Shrek 3 not that great as a sequel? A poorer sequel and a good original work, there shouldn't be any competition really.

As much as I'd like to see it get the award it probably won't happen. For some reason the academy (and Hollywood in general) has been obscessed with 3D. The only non-3D movie to get the Best Animation prize has been Spirited Away. The annoying thing things is that while 3D movies look great there are alot of bad ones.

Cheeky said:
After all, wasn't Shrek 3 not that great as a sequel?
Yeah it was pretty nasty as the series has totally run out of ideas. It's a sad case of affairs if it even gets a second look. :x

I've not actually seen Tekkonkinkreet yet so can't really comment on how deserving it is... but I still thought Ratatouille was the business. 8)

Tekkonkinkreet is an absolutely exceptional movie. Definitely better than Spirited Away, and every other animated feature to get that award, actually. Of course, it deserves to win but the Academy doesn't seem to be able to take animation seriously enough - according to then, it seems, animation is just for kids.

I'm a massive fan of Tekkonkinkreet so any exposure it can get is a good thing. I finished reading the graphic novel earlier this week and it's just as good - if not better - than the anime (which is very loyal to the source material, but perhaps tinkers to the story's detriment in the later stages). In fact, with this and Ping Pong, I'm officially a Taiyo Matsumoto fan boy, and I celebrated the fact earlier by ordering graphic novels of his other released work Blue Spring (and picking up the live action movie) and No. 5.

On that note, I'd like to see "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" nominated, but I suppose that may be next year given it isn't even licensed yet. I'm sure Hosada's time will come.

Paul said:
I'm a massive fan of Tekkonkinkreet so any exposure it can get is a good thing. I finished reading the graphic novel earlier this week and it's just as good - if not better - than the anime (which is very loyal to the source material, but perhaps tinkers to the story's detriment in the later stages).
Hmm, thanks, I wondered what the animated version was like. I would've checked it out, but I'd already picked up the manga, and I tend not to get 2 versions of the same story.
Haven't seen Ratatouille, but as I've never liked any Disney/Pixar production to date, I'm not especially interested in seeing it. Which is a shame really - with their budget, they could theoretically make some really great films.
Most of the people I spoke to said that the Simpsons movie was ok, but more like a long episode than anything else.

I was at first rather shocked that Azur et Asmar isn't even in that list. Obviously that simply means that it will be in it next year instead (as it's released in the USA and UK in early 2008) but it's confusing when that film was first released in the previous year to most of these... On the bright side, at least this means that it won't have the big names of The Simpsons and Shrek to compete against. And in the absence of that – Persepolis for the win! :D In fact, why has no one even mentioned Persepolis? :? I haven't seen any of these films, but going on what I've read about them, this is the only one which deserves to win (while also being the least likely to).
Lupus Inu said:
Pretty much ALL 3D movies produced these days are bad, all style no substance.
I'm not sure if Azur et Asmar and We Are the Strange are the inverse of this, but they're certainly a very different style, to say the least.

i've seen the amv and it looks promising and the drawing style is quite street urban look which i like and interesting.... im going to watch this soon.... i hope this will get more recognize...

I would really like a French animation to win an Oscar for the first time. But I would also like Azur et Asmar to win one, and they don't tend to give awards to the same country (other than their own, of course :evil:) for two years in a row.

I came across this article, via Cartoon Brew, about Tekkonkinkreet and Persepolis. It contains some quotations from people who worked on those films, but unfortunately the writer doesn't seem to have seen either if them, or even have a true idea of their nature…

Back