Tales from Earthsea opens in UK cinemas on 3rd August

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Courtesy of Optimum Releasing, Studio Ghibli's latest movie - Tales from Earthsea will be hitting UK cinemas starting this Friday, 3rd August. If you head on over to the movie's <a href="http://www.talesfromearthseamovie.co.uk/">official website</a>, you can stream a decent quality trailer as well as find a run-down of the movie's theatrical release schedule, which appears to take in screenings all over the UK.

This is the most exciting anime news I've heard in ages. I'm actually going to get to see anime in a cinema!! And subbed too!

Excellent! They have quite a few showings in Nottingham so I think I will get down there this Sunday.

Thanks for the heads-up ;)

The Cornerhouse in Manchester are showing it 3 times day for about three weeks. I suspect it could be a sparsely populated cinema for a Tuesday afternoon showing by the second week. Probably the best time to go!

I bought my ticket for tomorrow's 6PM Glasgow showing. Interestingly, theyre only showing it subbed, even though it's the biggest cinema in Glasgow. Anyway, I hope I like it more than most people.

Optimum recently sent out a newsletter which appeared to be a reproduction of the graphics on the web site, but on closer inspection, the list of cinemas is much updated and expanded. It now includes the Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds, for one example. I can't be bothered to type it all out, so I'll just try uploading and linking to the image.

I just saw it. It was hardly worthy of a raspberry. It was pretty and entertaining, albeit with cliched themes (that seemed overly "Japanised", probably not in the source material) of eternal life, death, darkness and light etc. At one point someone says "You can't have light without darkness". Yawn. It's as violent as Mononoke, but it isn't similar. There is no war in the film, and most of the scene star only a few of the six main characters, which makes it a very quiet, almost mysterious film.
There were a few scenes that seemed poorly edited, with unexpected jumps and a few confusing perspectives (doesn't make it clear where the characters are, or where they're facing), clearly showing Goro's inexperience with the basics, but this doesn't spoil the film. The music was good quality, and gave the film a good backbone, though the singing scene was too long, some people in the (small) audience were laughing by the time the chorus was sung for the last time.
Despite what the Cineworld site said, the English dub was shown. Willem Defoe's voice is excellently creepy and perfectly fits the softly spoken feminine villian, which was strange, as most of his roles are anything but feminine. Because of that, I didn't even recognise his voice at first. Timothy Dalton's voice was also good and fitting the character. The kids are a bit annoying, especially the girl Therru, who often sounds like she's clearly reading a script. Arren's voice actor fell to the common problem of not being able to decide whether to be English or American. I noticed the dub was done by the usual Disney crew (Lasseter etc.) which is strange, considering they have two years to wait until they can release it.
I think I should end this by saying that if you don't expect Miyazaki standards, you'd enjoy it. It is an entertaining film, with exellent visuals, and as seeing anime in the cinema is rare, you should go along.

Espy said:
It was pretty and entertaining, albeit with cliched themes (that seemed overly "Japanised", probably not in the source material) of eternal life, death, darkness and light etc. At one point someone says "You can't have light without darkness".
[url=http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Note-HowToPronounceMe.html:1d797s6l]Ursula K. Le Guin[/url] said:
Only in silence the word
Only in darkness, light
Only in dying, life
Bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.
If the major themes of Earthsea now feel very stereotypical of anime, that's perhaps only because her books have influenced it – or more specially, Miyazaki Hayao's films – so much. Or more likely, it's because such themes resonate with those already present in Japanese culture (and were most certainly already inspired by them in part).

Okay, well sue me for not reading the original books =P I just felt the themes were very cliched for an anime, even if they were in the original material.

Espy said:
I just saw it. It was hardly worthy of a raspberry. It was pretty and entertaining, albeit with cliched themes (that seemed overly "Japanised", probably not in the source material) of eternal life, death, darkness and light etc. At one point someone says "You can't have light without darkness". Yawn. It's as violent as Mononoke, but it isn't similar. There is no war in the film, and most of the scene star only a few of the six main characters, which makes it a very quiet, almost mysterious film.
There were a few scenes that seemed poorly edited, with unexpected jumps and a few confusing perspectives (doesn't make it clear where the characters are, or where they're facing), clearly showing Goro's inexperience with the basics, but this doesn't spoil the film. The music was good quality, and gave the film a good backbone, though the singing scene was too long, some people in the (small) audience were laughing by the time the chorus was sung for the last time.
Despite what the Cineworld site said, the English dub was shown. Willem Defoe's voice is excellently creepy and perfectly fits the softly spoken feminine villian, which was strange, as most of his roles are anything but feminine. Because of that, I didn't even recognise his voice at first. Timothy Dalton's voice was also good and fitting the character. The kids are a bit annoying, especially the girl Therru, who often sounds like she's clearly reading a script. Arren's voice actor fell to the common problem of not being able to decide whether to be English or American. I noticed the dub was done by the usual Disney crew (Lasseter etc.) which is strange, considering they have two years to wait until they can release it.
I think I should end this by saying that if you don't expect Miyazaki standards, you'd enjoy it. It is an entertaining film, with exellent visuals, and as seeing anime in the cinema is rare, you should go along.

I got back from the cinema earlier, and for the most part my views concur. It was a good film, but far from an amazing one. My three main problems is that it a) had the 'postman' syndrome - it often threatened some action which never actually occoured b) it was cut rather badly in places - the scene changes were very jarring here and there and c) it seemed to be trying to be an epic, but failed in almost every respect.

The slow pace is not a problem per se (Haibane Renmei is my fave series!) but it seemed like it wanted to be an epic, but was created claustrophobicly. It seemed rather bitty at times, not entirely sure in its direction.

Despite that, it was clung together by the characters, and as a character piece, it worked reasonably well. Ged and co were intreaguing enough to keep me interested.

So, a middle of the run anime. Low on the Ghibli pile though (though not bottom) but far supirior to many which are out there. Worth a watch at least.

Gah DVD release here i come, its all too far away for me :cry:

Looking forward to it though, i read the original books when i was around 13 ish. A cracking if somewhat liminal series and thankfully i cant remember much from back then so even if the film strays from the source material.....i wont care! :D

Just saw it today and I have several problems with it.

1) There's no real plot structure. It's basically just a bunch of stuff happening.

2) The first half of the film was wasted due to slow pacing. This isn't really acceptable in a two hour film.

3) Fundemental aspects of the plot are never explained. The worst case being when one of the main characters changes into a dragon for no reason what so ever and with no comments on why/how this has happened from the other characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ark said:
Just saw it today and I have several problems with it.

1) There's no real plot structure. It's basically just a bunch of stuff happening.

2) The first half of the film was wasted due to slow pacing. This isn't really acceptable in a two hour film.

3) Fundemental aspects of the plot are never explained. The worst case being when one of the main characters changes into a dragon for no reason what so ever and with no comments on why/how this has happened from the other characters.

Seconded here. I checked on wikipedia, and the 3rd point (especially the example you mention) is clarified somewhat (from book info) but in this case you get the 'harry potter syndrome' (I.e. the films make no coherent sense without reading the books first)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a bit strange how one of the main characters turned into a dragon!

But other then that i rather liked it!

Oh & there is an other thing that freaked me out but i can't say it's a spioler!

Warmaster said:
in this case you get the 'harry potter syndrome' (I.e. the films make no coherent sense without reading the books first)

I suppose the main difference though is that the harry potter films were made off the back of the books' success with the assumption that most people who saw the films would have read the books. The same can't be said of this. I don't see the point of basing a film off a book if you're unable to tell a coherant story from it.

I also didn't like how they try to force in the theme of fear of death at the end with no prior build up.

Back