(Sympathy for) Lady Vengeance out in the UK soon

It appears that the film has my dad's seal of approval too (I wasn't sure if he'd appreciate the moral issues and the camerawork but it appeals to his sense of humour which is nearly as twisted as my own!)

The use of classical music in the score really adds to the epic, dramatic feel and the photography is really quite beautiful. Of course, there's plenty of well-deserved violence inflicted on those who deserve it! At times though, I couldn't help but raise a nervous chuckle at some points - the director managed to get the balance between hard-hitting themes and comedic ones.

A very good film indeed. I really want to see Mr Vengeance and Oldboy now! *thumbs up*

ConcreteBadger said:
It appears that the film has my dad's seal of approval too (I wasn't sure if he'd appreciate the moral issues and the camerawork but it appeals to his sense of humour which is nearly as twisted as my own!)

The use of classical music in the score really adds to the epic, dramatic feel and the photography is really quite beautiful. Of course, there's plenty of well-deserved violence inflicted on those who deserve it! At times though, I couldn't help but raise a nervous chuckle at some points - the director managed to get the balance between hard-hitting themes and comedic ones.

A very good film indeed. I really want to see Mr Vengeance and Oldboy now! *thumbs up*

I’m getting quite excited about this now. I only wish I had ordered my copy from Play sooner. It should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday though, so I’ll be able to get stuck in soon.

Why didn't I see see this thread previously?!!!

Got all three of the "Vengeance" trilogy of films and I wanna know which one peeps like the best? :?:

I think there all fantastic but its between Lady Vengeance (aka Sympathy For Lady Vengeance) and Old Boy (though Sympathy For Mr Vengeance is a fantastic film). :)

Also, am I the only one who would LOVE Park Chan-Wook to direct a feature length anime film?

Imagine the potential! His storytelling abilities and imagination within an anime film!

A dream if ever there was one! :lol:

I watched Mr Vengeance last night and although it is a great film, I preferred Lady Vengeance. It has a more...picturesque visual style and there's a bit more humour.

What really impressed me is how the two films compliment each other - one shows the brutal, impulsive 'male' type of revenge while the other has a more calculating and 'prettier' female equivalent. Taken together I think you can appreciate both as individuals more. Not sure how Oldboy fits in with it all but I'll be tracking a copy of that down in the coming days/weeks.

Bumping this thread to say that Lady Vengence will be on Film4 Thursday 5th October at 22:50. If you're yet to experience a Chan-Wook Park movie, this is a perfect chance - don't miss it!

Thanks to Patlabor 2: The Movie - Collector's Edition being delayed in the UK to 15/01/2007 I ordered The Vengeance Trilogy Boxset as a replacement (a few quid cheaper too).

I want it just for the two disc edition of Lady Vengeance (aka Sympathy For Lady Vengeance) which I believe is slightly better than Old Boy (though its a matter of individual preference, not "universal fact").

Though I got this three days later than normal thanks, I assume, to the Christmas period, The Vengeance Trilogy boxset arrived yesterday. Last night I watched all three films - in chronological order - in one sitting. Quite difficult, considering these aren't films for "light-viewing", but it was an enjoyable film viewing experience none-the-less. :lol:

I personally feel that Lady Vengeance (the most visually lush installment) is my favourite, followed by Old Boy (arguably the most mainstream of the three) and finally the understated Sympathy For Mr Vengeance.

I've watched Old Boy particulary quite a few times now, and am I the only one who thinks that the character No Joo-hwan (the man who orchestrates Dae-su Oh's 15 year "unoffical" imprisonment) to just be plain loop-the-loop!? :?:

Sure, I understand what's provoked him into doing what he done, and I know he uses the metaphor "Be it a grain of sand or a rock, both will sink just the same." as a kind of platform to justify his actions (I interpretated the metaphor to mean that the rock could be represented as a "massive" reason while the grain of sand as a "minor / small / quaint / individual" reason), but to go to the lengths and "extremes" as he does to get his revenge (despite how much he may have loved his sister) was just plain screwball; borderline psychotic for goodness sake!

What do other people think? Did anyone empathize with No Joo-hwan at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back