Sword Of the Stranger @ the Barbican

Oh ****, that's tomorrow. Why the hell did I not know about this!? I signed up to the Barbican newsletter yonks ago and I swear there's been no mention of it.

Argh, maybe I did know about this and I just forgot, I knew there was something I had forgotten, so much to do D:

At least Tekkonkinkreet is on again next year. I hope Sword of the Stranger will be on more than this one time at various places...

hopeful_monster said:
Any one going? One of the few chances to see anime on the big screen so going, but would be nice to have someone to talk to before and after.
Details here

Reckon I'll go. You can pay on the door right?

As you say it's seldom you get to see anime on the big screen, so it would be cool to check it out. I watched a few clips of Sword of the Stranger and it looks awesome.

melonpan said:
Oh ****, that's tomorrow. Why the hell did I not know about this!? I signed up to the Barbican newsletter yonks ago and I swear there's been no mention of it.

Argh, maybe I did know about this and I just forgot, I knew there was something I had forgotten, so much to do D:

At least Tekkonkinkreet is on again next year. I hope Sword of the Stranger will be on more than this one time at various places...
Andrew @ Beez said they were going to try for a more general release, but said there would be something on the mythical Beez newsletter to let us know more.

I was thinking of going, but tomorrow night I will have worked 7 days in a row and I don't want to pay to see a film I might zzzzzzz during :S

Went yesterday - loved it.

As Helen McCarthy pointed out at the beginning it didn't push the boundaries of it's genre, and it was fairly predictable at times, but despite this it was a really well made and enjoyable film. The action scenes were fluid and exciting, while little touches with the details kept wowing me (the end battle in particular was amazing on the cinema screen).

The relationship between No-name and Kotarou was also surprisingly emotional and even funny at times - and while I was initially rolling my eyes when it came to No-names 'traumatic past', the final reveal of it was genuinely unsettling.

So yeah; it was everything I wanted from Samurai film and a few things a didn't expect - certainly the best anime I've seen on a big screen anyway.

... I've just seen this one today, I heard about it when I've been there for the "Tezuka fest", but completely forgot. I wish I had gone, I'm even a Barbican member (although their guide is sitting unopened on my desk. Next time, just txt me, I'm in for any anime gig around London =)

Well there are more in the Japanimation season

Dororo (15*) - Introduced by anime expert Helen McCarthy
18:00 / A rip-roaring fantasy epic - part of the Japanimation: After Tezuka season
28 Jan 09 / 18:00 / Cinema 2

Tezuka’s Legacy - 'Black Jack: Episode 1' + 'In The Beginning' (cert tbc) + Q&A with Helen McCarthy
15:00 / A TV series favourites double bill - part of the Japanimation: After Tezuka season
31 Jan 09 / 15:00 / Cinema 2

Phoenix: Immutable Conclusion (15*)
13:45 / A vast saga described by Tezuka himself as his 'life’s work' - part of the Japanimation: After Tezuka season
1 Feb 09 / 13:45 / Cinema 2

Akira (15)
15:45 / The anime classic - part of the Japanimation: After Tezuka season
1 Feb 09 / 15:45 / Cinema 2

Treasure Town: Tekkonkinkreet (12A) - Introduced by anime expert Helen McCarthy
20:30 / Michael Arias’ award-winning anime
24 Feb 09 / 20:30 / Cinema 2

1st two or three may go to but may skip Akira and Tekkonkinkreet.
Helen McCarhy also said that towards the end of next year they would have the (UK?) premier of Astro boy

I saw the Tekkonkinkreet listing a while ago, it's quite a way off so I might sort something out for it, seeing as I missed it when it was at the BFI.

As posted above:
Dororo (15*) - Introduced by anime expert Helen McCarthy
18:00 / A rip-roaring fantasy epic - part of the Japanimation: After Tezuka season
28 Jan 09 / 18:00 / Cinema 2

Tezuka’s Legacy - 'Black Jack: Episode 1' + 'In The Beginning' (cert tbc) + Q&A with Helen McCarthy
15:00 / A TV series favourites double bill - part of the Japanimation: After Tezuka season
31 Jan 09 / 15:00 / Cinema 2

Phoenix: Immutable Conclusion (15*)
13:45 / A vast saga described by Tezuka himself as his 'life’s work' - part of the Japanimation: After Tezuka season
1 Feb 09 / 13:45 / Cinema 2

Treasure Town: Tekkonkinkreet (12A) - Introduced by anime expert Helen McCarthy
20:30 / Michael Arias’ award-winning anime
24 Feb 09 / 20:30 / Cinema 2

I've got tickets for Dororo and will probably be going for the tezuka ones as well (if Dir en grey doesn't kill me =)

devilrules666 said:
when is sword of the stranger getting a dvd release over here?

I'll confirm that nearer the time but as a rough schedule we have it pencilled into Q3-Q4 depending on how cinema plans play out :).

- Andrew

There also seems to be a screening of Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa as indicated here (warning: source is in Japanese) on 24th March.

Back