Sweeney Todd - any good?

Well.. Just watched it. It was okay, I enjoyed it much more whilst it was going. Once I let the film sink in, It didn't really have a impact. I may need to re-watch it at some point because I think I missed the point off some off the songs. I loved the gray/Burton look the film had and the musical score without singing was fantastic. Whilst not in the songs, Depp talking sounded more or less exactly like Jack Sparrow and I'm not really one for Pirates of the Caribbean. The gore was a bit meh - Very very reminiscent off Kill Bill although not hardly as good looking. It was like a dirty red paint.

I may get the Blu-ray. Not entirely sure.

I really enjoyed this. The less polished singing was a plus for me - made them sound more like real, flawed people (despite the over the top subject matter) and less like musical stars. I like musicals with brilliant singing too - saw Wicked at Christmas and enjoy Bollywood ;) but this was nice for a different take on it.

The flowing blood was another plus for me. Killing people isn't nice, and should be shocking in my opinion. On the other hand it was an artistic choice to be over the top instead of realistically graphic and I thought it kept the impact of the casual kills in there without being too ridiculous. Made a nice contrast with the dark, depressing view of London too.

I haven't liked every one of Burton's films and am nothing like an emo or goth myself so I'm afraid I can't simply confirm to the Nightmare fan stereotype, but this one was one of his hits, rather than misses, as far as my taste was concerned.

Most of the scenes belonged to the leads but some of the supporting actors did a great job too. I was really happy when it was the judge's turn...

Sorry for late comments, just wanted to add them anyway!

R

Funnily enough i was assistant directing on a uni project film over the weekend and their actor was an extra and Johnny Depp's body double on Sweeney Todd.

Had a real good chat with him, he Burton is a genius but acts like a mardy child on set and never changes his shirt lol. He also said that Johnny is a real gent :)
Random story for you there.

Back