Super Smash Bros Brawl (US) + Freeloader help thread

jeremy1985

Kiznaiver
Go to bottom of this first post, to see the freeloader compatibility list.

=====================
As you may or may not be aware, there's is an official Freeloader Disc for the Wii, that will work with Wii Games.

After purchasing this, i ordered Smash Bros. Brawl from the US.

But upon loading the game, i nearly had a heart attack when i thought i bricked* my wii due to a built in system update on the disc.
But, thanks to a good friend of mine, i've been able to get around the problem, and here's how.

*Bricked = breaking it, rendering it useless. Therefore only being useful as a brick.

Jeremy1985 presents :
The Guide To Playing The US Version Of 'Super Smash Bros. Brawl' For The Nintendo Wii... On A UK Wii console

Notes before reading on -

-I personally have not updated the firmware of my Wii, since late February.
Meaning i have not installed any further updates by Nintendo since then. I do not know if this will have any effect on the following process working.

-Also, my wii is one of the first consoles that went on sale when they were sold out for months. So everything i list below, may work slightly differently for people who own later models, as mine is an older version.

-I own a PAL (UK) Wii console, a european version of the Freeloader, and US version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

-My Wii console has not been internally modified in any way (e.g. not been chipped), if your console has been modified, the guide below is probably useless to you, as the update will detect any modifications to the console, and then Brick it.

-I've noted it further down, but make sure your wii screen settings are set to 60hz, otherwise you can't play the game.

-First of all, the freeloader disc!.

*Now on the original Gamecube version, it would load up like another game, and then would tell you to insert the game disc.
On the wii freeloader it's a bit different.

Note - i insert the freeloader disc whilst on the main menu of the wii.

*After inserting the disc, the screen will suddenly go blurry from right to left once or twice.
(This is how it works, do not be afraid, this proves the freeloader has activated).

*Once it's activated, eject the disc, and then put the freeloader disc in once again. The screen will go blurry and once it's finished doing that, eject it.

-Inserting the game disc for the first time and the update!

*At this point, you can now insert the game disc. Go to the disc menu of the wii. and once you've inserted the disc a message will appear saying something along the lines of 'Wii system update is required' and there will be an ok button to click at the bottom of the message.

NOTE - This update, is not a firmware update to my knowledge. I believe it's an update so the wii can read the disc properly, as this disc is a dual layer disc. However i could be wrong, so don't hold me to that.

*Click OK, and the update will begin. Once completed, the Wii will reboot. and you'll be taken back to the wii menu.

-Safety first and extra notes!

*Now, it should be noted, that to ensure the wii had completely rebooted (just in case for whatever reason it didn't), i powered down the the wii, and also unplugged it. Maybe a bit extreme, but i wanted to be sure.

*When you turn the wii back on, before you try and play the game, go into your system settings, and change the screen settings (if needed), to 60hz. US Wii games do not run below 60hz, so if you try and play it at 50hz, nothing will happen and you can't play the game.

-Playing the game!

*At the main menu of the wii, insert the freeloader disc once again, wait for the blur to appear and go away. Then insert your game disc.

*You should now see the game logo appear in the disc channel (near the top left of wii menu). Go into the disc channel, and click start, wait (NOTE - it can take a minute or two for it to load, but it takes hardly any time for me), then the game should begin.

And now you can play Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
remember, if using the wii-mote on it's own, to hold it on it's side, as that's how you play with it.

Once you've decided to stop playing the game for a while...

*A note for when you want to power down / turn off the wii and ejecting the disc.
To eject the disc, you'll need to power down the wii by pressing the power button on the console. Once the console has shut down, then press 'eject' to remove the disc from the console. (I don't why it does this, but you will not be able to eject the disc before powering down the console.)

*When you next want to play the game, you will have insert the Freeloader disc each time. Inserting the Freeloader disc is not a permanent alteration to your console, it only takes effect during the time the wii is powered on.

I hope this guide has helped you out.
if you have any questions, just ask.

====================

Freeloader with Wii games (only) compatibility list -

Will work on PAL Wii with EU Freeloader -

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl (US)

(according to Vooks.net, the following games worked with the EU freeloader for them.
http://www.vooks.net/modules.php?module ... e&id=12687 )

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl (US + JPN)
-No More Heroes (US)
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US)
-Super Mario Galaxy (US)
-Super Paper Mario (US)
-Trauma Centre Second Opinion (US)
-Ghost Squad (US)
-Rayman Raving Rabbids (US)
-Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (US)
-Zack and Wiki: Quest Barbaro's Treasure (US)
-Wario Ware Smooth Moves (US)
-Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (US)
-Nitrobike (US)
-Trauma Center: New Blood (US)

(Again, these titles working could vary depending on your wii console)

Games that will NOT work -

-Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (JPN)

Hmm...different to my experience. I only had to put the FL in once, then the game disc...went on the disc channel and got the upgrade. This all makes it look a lot more complicated than it really is...

I don't need to turn my console off to take the game disc out either. =/

Good Stuff! I'll post my own findings I've came across.

After the first method I've had no issues with regard to booting Super Smash Bros Brawl.
I have to ensure I'd take the disc out of the Wii everytime I'd finished with it otherwise it won't eject it (In my case), just becomes a nightmare then, I guess I could take it out before I shut the game off.

I thought I'd try my other import games as I don't have any other Wii imports, none of these work properly:

Animal Crossing (US) GCN
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 2 (JP) GCN
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 4 (JP) GCN

I even tried several times loading the Wii Freeloader first and then loading the Old 0.6E version of GCN Freeloader (not the one released for the Wii last year), alas that didn't work all I got was disc error everytime.
I have heard reports of other Gamecube games that do work.

Regarding Wii Updates:
My Wii has updated once, its version is still 3.2E and Brawl still works.

I have played Brawl online a couple of times with just quick matches 8/10 times I had a few good games without Lag, before and after the current update.

This Friday I'm picking up Mario Kart Wii EU Version, I don't know if that contains any sort of update which will make Freeloader unusable.

Aaron said:
Hmm...different to my experience. I only had to put the FL in once, then the game disc...went on the disc channel and got the upgrade. This all makes it look a lot more complicated than it really is...

I don't need to turn my console off to take the game disc out either. =/

Yeah i know it looks complicated, but this is what my friend did. and the reason i did it too, is because we both one of the wii's from the first batch released in the UK.

if yours is more recent than that, then that's why you didn't have the same experience. lol.

In other news, (and i'll add this to the bottom of my first post),
After trying it with the freeloader numerous times, and after searching the net for answers i can confirm that

Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (jpn)

Does NOT work with the freeloader.
Although apparently, the latest version ( ..... Taisen EX2) does work with the freeloader.
(thought all might want to know that, but if anyone does get it working, let me know how please, lol)

Back