Summer 2011

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
iqbvs1.jpg

Meh. Sacred 7 looks cool. Everything else, uh, we'll see what /a/ says.

Sorry for the random (and possibly not all that well considered) thought, but I don't really get the point of anime adaptations of American live action shows/films like Blade. I want anime to offer me what I can't get elsewhere. If I wanted to watch Blade I'd watch the live action versions that aren't hamstrung by the limitations of a TV animation budget. Sometimes I even wonder why I'm watching something like Black Lagoon instead of a Hong Kong action movie.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Sorry for the random (and possibly not all that well considered) thought, but I don't really get the point of anime adaptations of American live action shows/films like Blade. I want anime to offer me what I can't get elsewhere. If I wanted to watch Blade I'd watch the live action versions that aren't hamstrung by the limitations of a TV animation budget. Sometimes I even wonder why I'm watching something like Black Lagoon instead of a Hong Kong action movie.
agreed i feel there not trying when there using american shows

I dont see how you can say there not trying as anime is not mainly aimed at western nations it is aimed for the Japanese public who most likely will not have seen the american shows. So taking inspiration or developing shows based on these ideas (I think x-men was recently done) may be popular in Japan at the moment.

Appleseed, Usagi Drop (as long as it doesn't start getting dodgy, but then the phrases "josei" and "Production I.G" give me faith it won't), No. 6 and possibly Blood-C look to be of interest. Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate OVAs as always.

And there's a new FMA film? Colour me interested.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Sometimes I even wonder why I'm watching something like Black Lagoon instead of a Hong Kong action movie.
Come on now, you know why.

Aside from Usagi Drop and the last Black Lagoon OVA, nothing catches my eye. This season is about as weak as winter.

Maybe I'll finally start getting through my backlog.

animefreak17 said:
where did you get that

if there not on dvd yet il just wait it out by buying other animes till then
Cart Driver makes them.

sean morrison said:
I dont see how you can say there not trying as anime is not mainly aimed at western nations it is aimed for the Japanese public who most likely will not have seen the american shows. So taking inspiration or developing shows based on these ideas (I think x-men was recently done) may be popular in Japan at the moment.
I'm sure they watch American shows. Except they're probably on cable or something.

Actually, there's a chapter of Gintama:
Lesson 340. "Sure, prison break season two is still more of the same, but it's only cause they've got to break out of the rotting prison known as society that the title still fits"

Will most certainly be watching:
Usagi/Bunny Drop (Highly hyped for this since reading the manga's 1st volume)
Double-J (Cute Moe Girls + Cromartie High School Director = A formula that I want to see)
Blood-C (Looks good, even if I have never seen any of the previous "Blood" projects)
Dantalian No Shoka (It's made by Gainax.....of course i'll watch it)
Sacred Seven (After being impressed with Tiger & Bunny, Sunrise other project has my intrigue)
Ikoku Meiro No Croisée (If it can produce that French atmosphere, like say Ristorante Paradiso did for Italy, then this can be a winner.)
Natsume S3 (If I can get through the previous two seasons then this is a maybe)

Will watch with low expectations:
The Idolm@ster (Girls, Girls everywhere. Serious Reevo: Might be a guilty pleasure, might annoy the hell out for me, i'll give it a shot)
Baka To Test S2 (Gave the first season a 6/10, it looked awesome but in my opinion the humor was more bad than good.)
Kamisama Dolls (While the plot sounds great, the preview picture looks a bit misleading, my opinion might change when it airs)
Blade (While i've given all these Marvel anime a try, i've dropped all of them around episode 3, I hope I enjoy this a bit more.)
Kamisama No Memo-Chou (So far J.C.Staff recent projects have been mediocre to poor, I do hope this will change that.)

OVA's:

Katte Ni Kaizou
Mariaholic I'm going to miss SHAFT this season :(

Still be watching:
Kaiji S2
Tiger & Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
Steins;Gate
Nichijou

Hopefully I get to watch three episodes from every series from the Summer Season.

ayase said:
Come on now, you know why.
*Blush*

You know me too well.

Is there much interest for the American superhero stuff in Japan? I'd have thought the Marvel adaptations were made with the US market in mind (like Afro Samurai and Batman) but none of them have aired there yet.

iM@S: biggest otaku show of the season, no questions
Yuruyuri: on principle (ichijinsha anime **** yeah), and it's got a big seiyuu cast
Usagi Drop: noitaminA did well with Anohana, should adapt this well
Blood C: CLAMP+ IG has worked well in the past
Dantalian: Gainax
Nyanpire: lol Gonzo

fabricatedlunatic said:

Sorry to use a facile argument, but by extension, why watch live-action comic book movies if you can get the same from comics? It's just another way of interpreting the source.

Conceptually I was all for the Marvel anime series, but Iron Man was dross, Wolverine was boring, X-men is looking pretty good so far but I'm only about 4 eps in.

I'll enjoy an anime series because it's good, not necessarily because it's unique, though admittedly they often coincide.

I'd forgotten that Blade was originally a comic (I've never read it).

Perhaps I worded that post poorly. It's not that I'm opposed to adaptations in general (though I do feel many are superfluous), but in this case a low budget TV animation doesn't excite me at all. No doubt I'd have felt the same about the Highlander anime if not for the gorgeous visuals and Kawajiri's style.

Generally, though, I do gravitate towards anime that offers something "unique" (and I think most of it does).

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'd forgotten that Blade was originally a comic (I've never read it).

Perhaps I worded that post poorly. It's not that I'm opposed to adaptations in general (though I do feel many are superfluous), but in this case a low budget TV animation doesn't excite me at all. No doubt I'd have felt the same about the Highlander anime if not for the gorgeous visuals and Kawajiri's style.

Generally, though, I do gravitate towards anime that offers something "unique" (and I think most of it does).

Haha it's ok, I knew you weren't against adaptations across the board, it definitely depends what they're up against, but I thought an anime based on Iron Man could deliver a high-octane, over the top action show considering how crazy mecha anime can get, but it was duller than any mecha show I'd seen and the live-action Iron man was vastly superior. (it was still better than the US animated Invincible Iron Man movie though).

Blade could potentially be the best, since Madhouse does Hellsing Ultimate, it's familiar ground from that perspective.

sean morrison said:
yeah your right im sorry old sport

There's quite a lot I want to watch for the summer season and they are:

Uta no Prince Sama - Maiji Love 1000%
No. 6
Usagi Drop
Nyanpire
Morita-san wa Mukuchi
Kamisama Dolls
Yuru Yuri
The Idolm@ster
Blood -C
Mayo Chiki!
Dantalion no Shoka
Ro-Kyu-Bu!
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi
Ikoku Meiro No Croisée
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni - Been looking forward to more Baka Test for quite a while
Sacred Seven
Mawaru Penguindrum
Kami-sama no Memo-chou
Nekogami Yaoyorozu
Nurarihiyon no Mago Sennen Makyou - Need to finish the rest of series 1 first.
Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes special
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - Of course I will be watching this ^_^

Double-J

What I said: Cute Moe Girls + Cromartie High School Director = A formula that I want to see

What I thought: First episode was pretty weak, I was expecting six minutes of smart gag's but the animation using flash is weak, no jokes to be found and I don't care what is happening.

I don't hate it atm, I just feel disappointed with it, Will give the next episode a go.

Kami-sama no Memo-chou

What I said: So far J.C.Staff recent projects have been mediocre to poor, I do hope this will change that.

What I thought: While this was a 50 minute episode, I was totally hooked, think of this as a modern Go-Sick, full of mystery and weird characters that are developed somewhat and are entertaining and fun.

I seriously think this anime has something great to work with, just remember J.C.Staff, don't put in too much silly fan-service.

Usagi/Bunny Drop

What I said: Highly hyped for this since reading the manga's 1st volume

What I thought: The first episode doesn't disappoint, it does well to draw Rin & Daikichi together in a natural way instead of it being forced, this could have the potential to become one of my favourite Slice-Of-Life shows alongside Kuragehime & Soredemo (etc.) Easy recommendation.

Is it me or are some of the AnimeNewNetwork editors on the Summer 2011 guide being a bit childish because of the manga ending.

Sacred Seven

What I said: After being impressed with Tiger & Bunny, Sunrise other project has my intrigue.

What I thought: This first episode was pretty damn epic but I was a bit afraid that we will get a unlikeable protagonist, thankfully that changes by the end but it somehow felt forced. Still the action was thrilling and I look forward to more.

Kamisama Dolls

What I said: While the plot sounds great, the preview picture looks a bit misleading, my opinion might change when it airs.

What I thought: To be honest everything in this episode felt rushed, everything from action sequences to plot progression. It didn't look like the comedy & drama mixed well so i'm a bit worried that this will sink into mediocrity.

Nyanpire:

What I thought: Cat turns into a vampire, tries to find blood, an ED that takes up 1/4 of the episode, what the **** am I watching? (Guilty pleasure)

Morita-san wa Mukuchi

What I thought: 3 mins of cute girls doing cute silent things. (Serious Reevo: It's a boring three minutes, it's not worth watching imo.)

Reevothemusefan said:
Usagi/Bunny Drop
Is it me or are some of the AnimeNewNetwork editors on the Summer 2011 guide being a bit childish because of the manga ending.
That's only Zac, isn't it? I feel the same way, incidentally, and I don't see what's "childish" about it. Since being spoiled on the manga ending and finding out where the story is going, I've lost all interest.

Back