Summer 2009 Preview (UKA Article)

Aion

Time-Traveller
Link: http://www.uk-anime.net/articles/Summer ... _preview/1

A very helpful article by Mr. Hanley of UKA. It's helped me pick what series I'll follow in the event of me still being in the anime mood by the time new series start airing.

Spice and Wolf 2 was always on my list. No shock there. I'm hoping it's as enjoyable as the first series was.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is most definitely the most interesting of what is a poor list. It's a Bones production - meaning high production values - and, unlike other Bones original stories, it seems to be 100% based on reality. Stories grounded in realism with a depressing edge are my thing, and I can see me enjoying it quite a bit.

CANAAN is the final series of any interest. It's being made by an animation studio with one anime under their belt, the highly popular True Tears, which I'm hoping means a lot of effort gets put into it. It's supposed to be dark, has good visuals and the only negative I could spot when I viewed the trailer was the big breasts (fan service) on show. Since it only lasts for 13 episodes, it's worth a go.

As for the rest, I want you guys to count how many series have school girls and how many have adult casts. Seriously. Near enough everything looks to be aimed at perverts who want some fresh, school girl ****. Is it any wonder anime has a bad rep? There's so much kiddy and/or perverted rubbish released and so little content worth looking at that you have to dig to find gems most of the time.

Yeah, the only thing that really appealed to me there was Tokyo Magnitude.
I'd like to check out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but since I havn't see the first series yet I'm not really interested in the second.

Needless is the TTGL of the Summer season.

Not really interested in any, unless I watch the first Spice and Wolf.

Needless and Hetalia 2 are maybes. Maybes because I'm not sure either will ever come out in any of the territories I usually buy from and even if they did I'd wait for some good reviews before getting too excited. Needless looks as though it has the potential to suck but those are some funky character designs.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a definite purchase down the line. Not too excited by the concept on its own but it's Bones and it's on Noitamina, which are both qualifications worthy of my attention.

I'd also definitely pick up Umineko and the followups to Haruhi/Zetsubou-sensei at some point too. As well as Spice and Wolf if I don't hate the first series when it's out.

R

hmm well i'll be giving Umineko no Naku Koro ni a go simply because its connection to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. For similar reasons i'll be looking at Caanan

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is the only one that has caught my eye so far. I'll have to wait and see for the rest. It does seem like a pretty weak line up, it's fortunate I've got plenty to watch and rewatch at the moment.

I've already started the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Umineko is a definite for me :)
I also liked the look of Sora No Manimani.
Other than that, not much else caught my attention. Still got a backlog of other series' to clear, so I'm going to try and limit myself again as to how many series I pick up (although I said that when they did the spring previews and still ended up watching five different shows!)

Spice and Wolf 2 is a must i think for me as i enjoyed the first season and the second season OVA so i hope for the same thing here.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu season 2 - I say Season 2, but it doesn't feel it with the way they are showing the new episodes, so i guess i'll call it...season..1.5. Still look forward to the episodes to come though, hoping that they stick to their original plan and animate novel 4 as well.

Zetsubou Sensei, Needless, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 as well, depending on what time and such i have. But there isn't much else from that list that strikes me at the moment.

Back