Suggestions and improvements for the site? Give 'em!

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
We're currently working on a newer version of Anime UK News, the website design won't be changing much but we're totally reworking the database and code that lies at the heart of the site.

Ultimately we are taking a few steps closer to becoming an "encyclopedia" of information - all of the news items, reviews, articles and DVD releases will be interrelated; so lets say you are looking for information about Gedo Senki (Tales of Earthsea); you'll be able to click the Tales of Earthsea link and instantly have access to the most recent news stories, reviews, screen caps and even find out if there have been any UK DVD releases, all this information will be on the same page, completely specific to Gedo Senki.

At this stage we're still coding all of these new features. As such, if you have anything you'd like us add to site, now is the time to suggest it! Any suggestions will be considered, so speak up, it really helps us to know what you want!

My two main suggestions.

1) While i know you have a team of reviewers i would really like it if you could someway set it up that some of us can add reviews. My main reason behind this is because not everyone has seen every anime and by allowing people to add thier own reviews (however you want to set it up) will give you a much bigger base of reviews for several series both old and new. Which i think is crucial for any good database.

Also if you are setting up an enycopedia i would suggest creating an enyclopedia section on the forum for threads on anime. This will allow people to add in facts that they think might be important and then you can come over and take a look at peoples ideas and say yes that looks like a useful peice of information and put it into that specific animes page.

so in essence you will have a wikipedia-esc setup where you will have one anime but sections such as reviews, release dates, images, manga information etc. all on the one page.

2) One other suggestion i would recommend is a chat room, it would save on the amount of random crap at times and also give us a cool place to hang out.

I could probably think of a few other ideas but ill take a little think over them.

Nyu said:
My two main suggestions.

2) One other suggestion i would recommend is a chat room, it would save on the amount of random crap at times and also give us a cool place to hang out.

I could probably think of a few other ideas but ill take a little think over them.

Been there, tried that, it didn't work, no ones willing to download mirc just to chat

As for idea's, maybe when you click on a review, it could give links to some other shows that resemble the show your looking at, or even made by the same company

Ryo Chan said:
Nyu said:
My two main suggestions.

Been there, tried that, it didn't work, no ones willing to download mirc just to chat

As for idea's, maybe when you click on a review, it could give links to some other shows that resemble the show your looking at, or even made by the same company

you mean something like when you go on say amazon and click on an item..it says people interested in this also where interested in such and such? If so i agree with that idea, it may give people a chance to check out various other shows, old and new.

Erm.. i know the site is mostly based on anime, but maybe for the release schedule, you could maybe mention manga as well..like having two seperate release schedules, one for anime and one for manga.

Ryo Chan said:
Nyu said:
My two main suggestions.

Who said anything about mirc? there are a bunch of java chat applications out there that can be easily implimented, all you do is click and your away.

I also think a shortlist of all the major retailers of anime in the UK would be a good idea, also with the possibility of adding in a review system for stores. This would give people and idea from other shoppers on what a site would be like. I think instead of a big review section something like ebay feedback, 200 character limit etc. Something short but to the point e.g "cheap and good quality but delivery time was a few days later than quoted" 3/5 stars and what have you.

Nyu said:
1) While i know you have a team of reviewers i would really like it if you could someway set it up that some of us can add reviews. My main reason behind this is because not everyone has seen every anime and by allowing people to add thier own reviews (however you want to set it up) will give you a much bigger base of reviews for several series both old and new. Which i think is crucial for any good database.

Agreed with this, just make sure you have a Moderator in place to review the reviews before they're put on the site, and if they're not up to scratch then they're not put up, similar to the way reviews work on Gamefaqs.

Paul said:
Ultimately we are taking a few steps closer to becoming an "encyclopedia" of information - all of the news items, reviews, articles and DVD releases will be interrelated; so lets say you are looking for information about Gedo Senki (Tales of Earthsea); you'll be able to click the Tales of Earthsea link and instantly have access to the most recent news stories, reviews, screen caps and even find out if there have been any UK DVD releases, all this information will be on the same page, completely specific to Gedo Senki.
So with that, it's basically an anime version of Wikipedia which people could edit and add things themselves, or are you thinking differently?

Lupus Inu said:
So with that, it's basically an anime version of Wikipedia which people could edit and add things themselves, or are you thinking differently?

I would lean towards a more reliable source. While wiki is great i've seen some 'facts' there were mearly the persons opinion, but with such loose moderation it sat there for quite some time.

Thats why i think there should be a little sub forum dedicated to the entries, if any changes wanted to be made or anything added they can create a thread there and it can be discussed and then put up. Same way with user reviews, they would be proof read and content checked and then put up.

Obviously it would be easier if there were moderators etc to spread the work load but i think if some of us regulars done some of the work it could turn into something good. Ultimatley increasing the sites user and knowledge base.

I'm sure we have all used Anime News Network at some point and i love the site, but the information on it seems lacking. Yes they have almost every anime and most of the cast details which is good but there is a huge abundance of pictures, reviews, veiwer comments. The only user input on the actual page is the user ratings and just the rating on its own means diddly squat.

The biggest problem with user content is actually getting people to do things and keep the standards to a set level, it will only be as good as what people put into it and its usually where most projects fall short.

Also, is there anyway such as a thread can be made or something that can let me know when a new review is posted on the site? There have been a few that i've just realised have been posted and i haven't had the chance to read them untill now. Just something so people can know whats going on with the site and whats being reviewed.

Nyu said:
Also, is there anyway such as a thread can be made or something that can let me know when a new review is posted on the site? There have been a few that i've just realised have been posted and i haven't had the chance to read them untill now. Just something so people can know whats going on with the site and whats being reviewed.

How about the front page showing news, reviews and articles? The newest items from all the site sections would then get exposure as soon as they're posted.

Regarding the chat, sure having a java-based client would make it easier for people to connect but how would this moderated? Would somebody have to be connected 24-7 etc...? Anyway don't the forums give you most of what chat does?

Mr Brightside said:
Nyu said:

How about the front page showing news, reviews and articles? The newest items from all the site sections would then get exposure as soon as they're posted.

Regarding the chat, sure having a java-based client would make it easier for people to connect but how would this moderated? Would somebody have to be connected 24-7 etc...? Anyway don't the forums give you most of what chat does?

A chat function is ok, but i don't think its a good idea here. mIRC worked well, but mostly everyone here doesn't use it anymore. The forums does give us the chance to chat yeah, but in the Random chit-chat forum, its become more like forum game central, and i am kinda sick of all the games now. I don't see them as a way to chat.

Mr Brightside said:
Nyu said:

Thing with this place is it doesn't really need heavy moderating.

A lot of forums they have so many rules it's stupid post one thing wrong and you end up having to suck up to the mods for a week.

A lot of people here are 20+ theres two mods i think here and paul no e-drama nice talking and it's relaxed.

Lupus Inu said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Requesting a forum games section where the post counts don't rise.
Seconded.

Thirded.

I think most people will agree with this especialy the people that moan about it because they care about post counts :roll:

Oh and erm that personal gallery everyone has I think it should be removed seing how no one uses it

Mr Brightside said:
Nyu said:

I would like to think the majority of us here are mature enough to use a chat feature like adults. As you already said, forums can give you most of what chat does but i would still prefer at times a chat function. For example, to bitch at dave about how his characters in the battles keep winning and mines loosing :evil:

Obviously if there were any issues with the chat then they can be forwarded to Paul who could then ban etc the people but i doubt it would get that far.

I don't care about post counts as i never read anything in offtopic anyway, i haven't seen an interesting thread in there in a while. But it's when spam creeps from offtopic into the other forums thats what pisses me off.

Ok. When I was thinking of moderation I wasn't implying it was for the members here. There's always people out there that want to wreck something good for others. Perhaps the members themselves could be the moderators?

My previous points may be moot anyway. I'm sure chat systems have built in protection systems, auto bans/kicks etc... :)

Keep these coming guys, I'm noting them all down and I will comment fully on all of the suggestions soon enough.

As far as user-submitted reviews go, here is my perspective. Advent Children is a rubbish movie. If I opened up a user-reviews section, we will receive 10 reviews detailing how, in actual fact, Advent Children is the pinnacle of Japanese animation - even better than DBZ! Having an objective opinion is impossible, but having good taste isn't. Also, spell and grammar checking countless reviews that contain phrases like "LOL" and "ED ISZZ HWT!!" is my idea of hell.

With the new version of the site I'll make this clear but if any of you guys want to get involved with our reviewing team or the site in general, you just have to send me a PM and we'll go from there. We now have a proper editorial structure in place that allows you to post new reviews to the site as though one would create a thread on a forum. We may have ended our search for reviewers of DVD screeners, but that doesn't have to stop you from getting involved. We're always looking for people who want to step-up.

With regards to interaction with the encyclopedia, it's very much a fledgling idea right now. There is no point in attempting to better exhaustive websites like ANN or Wikipedia ,and in order to achieve a realistic launch date, we're trying to prevent ourselves from taking on too much. Eventually, it would be great to have a system that allows readers to contribute information.

A few of the best ideas I've read in here are for user reviews of online DVD stores, interactive anime-related sales news and a glossary of regularly updated otaku terms.

Back