Studio Ghibli UK Thread ~ Laptua + Yamada BD numbers fixed

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Studio Canal UK are releasing the Studio Ghibli titles to the UK on Blu-ray and DVD. The DVDs were released first with a number added to the slip-cover despite not being in chronological release order. When the Blu-rays were released, the numbers however were doing a different pattern and from July 2013 onwards the rest of the titles will have the exact number that the DVDs had. This concern was brought up after people noticed Whisper of the Heart had the same number as Kiki's Delivery Service when their Blu-ray versions were released. Studio Ghibli UK have kindly responded to the numbering problem regarding the Blu-ray versions and has allowed a free replacement for anyone who bought the Whisper of the Heart Blu-ray. They confirmed that the numbering is to be exactly the same as the DVD version, therefore Whisper of the Heart should be number 11 instead of 5. After that, people are wondering which other titles were in the wrong place so from the current list available (see below) Arrietty, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and My Neighbours the Yamadas were the only titles to have the wrong number on Blu-ray alongside Whisper of the Heart.

The Limited Edition Steelbooks don't have numbering so they won't need any issues whatsoever.

DVD List:
N/A - The Little Norse Prince
N/A - Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro
01 - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
02 - The Cat Returns
03 - Porco Rosso
04 - Pom Poko
05 - Kiki's Delivery Service
06 - Laputa: Castle in the Sky
07 - Howl's Moving Castle
08 - Princess Mononoke
09 - My Neighbour Totoro
10 - Grave of the Fireflies
11 - Whisper of the Heart
12 - My Neighbour the Yamadas
13 - Spirited Away
14 - Only Yesterday
15 - Tales from Earthsea
16 - Ocean Waves
17 - Ponyo
18 - Arrietty
19 - From Up on Poppy Hill

Blu-ray list:
N/A - Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro
02 - The Cat Returns
03 - Porco Rosso
04 - Pom Poko
05 - Kiki's Delivery Service
06 - Laputa: Castle in the Sky
08 - Princess Mononoke
09 - My Neighbour Totoro
10 - Grave of the Fireflies
11 - Whisper of the Heart
12 - My Neighbour the Yamadas
15 - Tales from Earthsea
17 - Ponyo
18 - Arrietty
19 - From Up on Poppy Hill

Incoming:
N/A - Hayao Miyazaki Box Set ~ November 3rd - Will include all Ghibli films directed by Miyazaki himself, should be near-replica of the Japanese set.
13 - Spirited Away ~ November 3rd
20 - The Wind Rises ~ September 29th - DVD - Blu-ray - Blu-ray/DVD Collector's Edition
21 - The Tale of Princess Kagura ~ TBA, probably 2015
22 - When Marnie Was There ~ Based on a British book and directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi (Arrietty), Studio Canal could release this early like Arrietty

Possible once studio returns from hiatus:
Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie (unknown release date) ~ Ghibli's first sequel.

Steelbook list:
09 - My Neighbour Totoro
17 - Ponyo

Notes:
GREEN - British Blu-ray has the correct numbering as the DVD version
RED - British Blu-ray has an incorrect numbering position compared to the DVD version
BLUE - Japanese Blu-ray has been made or currently in production

The good news is that all owners of Arrietty, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbours the Yamadas and Whisper of the Heart will be able to contact Studio Canal and Ghibli UK to receive a replacement Inlay and card o'ring that will contain the correct numbering, however it will take time to sort this all out. Unfortunately for owners of the Collector's Edition of Arrietty this can't be done because the version is out of print. For those who are wondering about Nausicaa, they have confirmed that there are no plans on schedule to have a card o'ring with the release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following can receive a replacement sleeve and card o'ring:
Arrietty (excluding Collector's Edition, OOP reasons)
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Whisper of the Heart

To contact Studio Canal / Studio Ghibli UK for a replacement, either do one of the following:
Studio Ghibli UK said:
the numbering on the Blu-rays is supposed to mirror that of the previous DVD releases, so Kiki is correct but unfortunately Whisper of the Heart was printed wrong. We are happy to send you a new sleeve when we do our next print run to ensure that the numbering is correct in your collection. Please feel free to send us a PM with your address details. Apologies for the printing errors, we appreciate that this is very annoying for fans! Thanks, SC.
Go to the Studio Ghibli UK facebook page and private message them (requires Facebook account)
Email them at [email protected]

Must include Name, Address, possibly Mobile Number and the title that was affected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 22/12/2013 ~ Whisper of the Heart is now fixed. You can see examples below.

6u02.jpg
sp78.jpg

UPDATE: 27/05/2014 ~ And yes, the numbering for Arrietty is fixed on the standard Blu-ray version. The Combo Pack versions are to be determined. I also noticed Whisper of the Heart in HMV with the correct number as well.

20140527_192405.jpg

UPDATE - 08/08/2014 ~ Dannielle has confirmed the replacement covers for Laputa: Castle in the Sky and My Neighbour the Yamadas are now released.

Dannielle said:
Today I received replacement covers and slip cases for Laputa & Yamada's

Both Blu Rays now have the correct numbers, Laputa now being 6 and Yamada's 12.

Here's the response from Studio Ghibli UK's facebook page plus more information regarding the mishap:

When we initially released the Blu-ray Doubleplays we began the numbering process again. However, we found that fans of Ghibli were overwhelmingly in support of the numbers matching those of the original DVD number. We have since moved to this policy, but there has been some cross over, such as with Kiki and Whispers. We are correcting the artworks for Whisper of the Heart, Laputa, Arrietty and My Neighbours the Yamadas, so that the numbers match the DVDs, eradicating the issue. The replacement scheme is currently underway, however it may still take some months for it to be live, as the new artwork needs to be printed and sent to our offices ready for the replacements to begin.

- Unfortunately, there are no current plans to correct the number of the Arrietty Collector’s Edition as this is out of print.
- Nausicaa is also not currently schedule to have a cardboard o-ring created.
- We are planning to continue with the Ghibli doubleplay releases, but unfortunately we cannot give further information on these releases at this current moment in time.

We appreciate your patience whilst we resolve this matter. In the meantime, please feel free to reply with your address and which artworks you would like replacing and we will add this to our database. The artworks will be sent out as soon as we have them here.

Initially we released the Ghibli titles on DVD, numbering them in release order. We then began to release the Blu-ray doubleplays, numbering these release chronologically rather than against the previous DVD numbers.

We found this system was unfavourable to collectors and have since been implementing changes to the artworks for the previously released Blu-rays, correcting the numbers to match the DVD releases, in line with the wants of our customers.

Kiki’s Delivery Service has been released as number 5 to match the DVD release, but we are yet to finalise the revisions to the previous Blu-ray sleeves, which is why there may be some temporary overlap.

Rest assured, a replacement scheme will be going live soon, whereby new matching artwork will be available for the previous Blu-ray releases that do not match the DVD release, in place of existing incorrect Blu-ray artwork.

Sources from UK Anime Network and Blu-ray.com

Re: To anyone who bought Whisper of the Heart on UK Blu-ray

That's nice of them. Doesn't affect me though because I don't pay any attention to the collection numbers, I keep mine in order of japanese cinema release date.

Does that apply to any of them that don't match?

Laputa is 6 & 3
Yamadas is 12 & 4

Ah, beat me too it. Very nice of them to do after several of us mentioned it.

Random - Arrietty is 6 so that's safe and fine. Unsure on Yamada's, guess they could make the BD 12 Poppy Hill...hopefully ..

Edit: Just took at look at the numbers, they're not exactly following the DVD numbers..

DVD 4 = Pom Poko / Blu Ray 4 = Yamada's
DVD 3 = Porco Rosso / Blu Ray 3 = Laputa

All the rest could still be the same as their DVD counterparts, but those ..nope.

Random said:
Does that apply to any of them that don't match?

Laputa is 6 & 3
Yamadas is 12 & 4

Well that's odd, but I guess they would apply as well since they did say it would be exact from now on.

I'll update the post to verify the numbers fully.

Dannielle said:
All the rest could still be the same as their DVD counterparts, but those ..nope.

I added the list on the main post, looks like only 4 were using other spots although Arrietty might as well stay on 6 because of the collector's edition.

Re: Ghibli UK Blu-ray numbering mishaps

My copy of Tales From Earthsea Blu-ray has the number 15 on the spine.

Nice to see them offering replacement covers, but I do wonder why they bothered to number them at all.

Titan said:

I would like to see a screenshot of that number just to clarify it. I can't find a source online showing the number (unless someone has a link).

NormanicGrav said:
Titan said:

I would like to see a screenshot of that number just to clarify it. I can't find a source online showing the number (unless someone has a link).

Here you go

Titan said:
NormanicGrav said:
Titan said:

Here you go

Thanks, I guess someone reminded the company of the numbering and changed it before release.

So that leaves three titles with the wrong numbers.

Rosencrantz said:
Nice to see them offering replacement covers, but I do wonder why they bothered to number them at all.

It's one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book. A lot of people like to have complete sets, me included, so it encourages them to buy all of the films rather than just a few and have gaps in the sequence. It's a mild form of OCD I'd guess. Basically if you compile a list people will do the list Munro bagging is a classic example.

As for the differing numbers as long as the Bluray sequence doesn't have gaps or duplicates I'm not that concerned whether they match the DVDs.

Updated first post with more information about the numbering and to add Porco Rosso onto the Blu-ray list.

Anyone who bought the collector's edition of Arrietty will not be able to change their numbering because it is out of print.

NormanicGrav said:
Anyone who bought the collector's edition of Arrietty will not be able to change their numbering because it is out of print.
Grrrr....

NormanicGrav said:
Updated first post with more information about the numbering and to add Porco Rosso onto the Blu-ray list.

So does that mean we can contact them and ask for replacements for the incorrect numbers? They're already aware of me needing the Whisper Of The Heart replacement but It sounds like I'll need the others too.

Gutted I won't be able to get a new case for Arrietty .. :(

Dannielle said:
NormanicGrav said:

So does that mean we can contact them and ask for replacements for the incorrect numbers? They're already aware of me needing the Whisper Of The Heart replacement but It sounds like I'll need the others too.

Gutted I won't be able to get a new case for Arrietty .. :(

It should be possible, I haven't bought the other releases so I won't know. What I do know is that they are correcting the order.

I hope that by correcting the order they mean that they will match the remaining ones where possible and fill the gaps where not.

It would be just as bad to have 2 with the samer number and consequent gaps in the sequence.

Re: Studio Ghibli UK Thread ~ Blu-ray Numbering Mishap

Updated thread, with no news so far on the replacement date.

However From Up on Poppy Hill has the correct number of 19.

Possibly in the thread already, I couldn't see it but it is early on a Saturday, but is there an address to email/write to or will that be given once the scheme goes live? I'm not on Facebook.

Random said:
Possibly in the thread already, I couldn't see it but it is early on a Saturday, but is there an address to email/write to or will that be given once the scheme goes live? I'm not on Facebook.

Unfortunately I can't find addresses/PMs as they have done it directly on Facebook. If someone could find the Studio Canal UK email then that should help you.

Just to add an update to this, nothing much new, I emailed Studio Canal to check what I needed to do to get my replacements and they said:

Thank you for your email.

We will be replacing artworks for the following four doubleplay Ghibli releases, as the numbering does not match the original DVD releases.

Arrietty (excluding the Collector's edition)
Whisper of the Heart
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbours the Yamadas

If you have wish to obtain the corrected artworks then please reply with your address and which titles you will need replacing. We will then add your details to our distribution list and send out the artworks as soon as we have them printed.

Unfortunately, as the Arrietty Collector’s Edition is now out of print, we cannot currently offer replacement artwork.

Please note that this process could still take some months to finalise.

Regards,

STUDIOCANAL

I also pointed out that for Arrietty it's only the outer sleeve that needs reprinting rather than the entire box so maybe that might change their minds. Then again maybe not.

If you need the email address then it's: [email protected]

Back