Studio Ghibli season on Film4 through out August

Necromancer said:
I watched Grave of the Fireflies (or Graveyard of the Fireflies as Film4 had it titled as :lol:) last night, 1st time I've seen it subbed.

0_0

That was on Film4? Ugh, I've missed something I really wanted to watch.

Rukario said:
Necromancer said:
I watched Grave of the Fireflies (or Graveyard of the Fireflies as Film4 had it titled as :lol:) last night, 1st time I've seen it subbed.

0_0

That was on Film4? Ugh, I've missed something I really wanted to watch.

Are you sure, because Ive checked the schedule for film 4 and Totoro was on Saturday.

Are these dubs all recent? They seem much newer than the original releases. In fact, I don't think one of the actresses was even alive when the film she dubbed came out (Dakota Fanning)

cornixt said:
Are these dubs all recent? They seem much newer than the original releases. In fact, I don't think one of the actresses was even alive when the film she dubbed came out (Dakota Fanning)
(IIRC) Disney/Buena Vista signed a deal with Ghibli to help distribute most existing and later day ghibli movies, nearly worldwide, in the mid 90s. Whilst initially they only boosted publishing output in Asia, when Princess Mononoke was a success, they released it through their Miramax division. To my knowledge, that (1997) is the earliest of the English Disney dubs which now encompass 12 of Ghibli's films (Only Yesterday hasn't been dubbed or released, may never be and Grave of the Fireflies was never part of the original deal.) Most dubs have been done between 2004 and 2005, after Ghibli really took off and Disney finally saw fit to make something of the distribution. Laputa, Kiki and Mononoke were done earlier, as part of an earlier attempt to get the releases off the ground, off the back of Mononoke.

Many of these films were dubbed before, in the late 80s, early 90s, by various companies trying to get the films recognised in the west. Audio inferiority and Disney's recent method of hiring famous names rather than professional Voice actors encouraged them to re-do the voice tracks.

Ah, thanks, that explains it.

I'd forgotten how violent Princess Mononoke was until I saw it on Film4. Been quite a while since I watch my DVD. You don't expect heads and arms to be ripped clean off at dinner time on tv!

cornixt said:

I'd forgotten how violent Princess Mononoke was until I saw it on Film4. Been quite a while since I watch my DVD. You don't expect heads and arms to be ripped clean off at dinner time on tv!
I think they can get away with it because it's all a bit comical really. There's not a lot of blood either. I do have to hold myself back from shouting "BOOM! HEADSHOT!" sometimes :p

kupoartist said:
cornixt said:

I think they can get away with it because it's all a bit comical really. There's not a lot of blood either. I do have to hold myself back from shouting "BOOM! HEADSHOT!" sometimes :p

boomheadshotug9.gif

Back