Steamboy?

CitizenGeek said:
Yes, definitely worth £10. It's a very enjoyable film, and the animation is spectacular. The dub is also fantastic.
:eek: Are you serious? Wanted to pull my ears off with the dub. Mockney at its worst. Other wise a good for a tenner, as is Sky Blue even if it isn't what purists would all anime.

Both worth it!
The sub and dub were enjoyable for me in Steamboy though i can understand that some people didnt like the accents.
Sky Blue was korean wasnt it? It was good regardless.

Definately both worth picking up. Plus you can never get too much steampunk :wink:

hopeful_monster said:
CitizenGeek said:
Yes, definitely worth £10. It's a very enjoyable film, and the animation is spectacular. The dub is also fantastic.
:eek: Are you serious? Wanted to pull my ears off with the dub. Mockney at its worst. Other wise a good for a tenner, as is Sky Blue even if it isn't what purists would all anime.

the dub was decent, it has to appeal to the american market as well as the brits. however i didnt agree with the casting of a girl as the voice for the main male lead. why they could just get some cockney lout of the street is beggars belief.

good steampunk film, although i hear the japanese version is slightly better but i dont know if the 15 extra minutes really add to the plot...

Both worth the money if you can't find them cheaper. I got Steamboy for £6 on Play.com. Found the dub a little annoying but good film. Plus I love the animation inSky Blue. Tis a nice watch.

Nyu said:
hopeful_monster said:
CitizenGeek said:

the dub was decent, it has to appeal to the american market as well as the brits. however i didnt agree with the casting of a girl as the voice for the main male lead. why they could just get some cockney lout of the street is beggars belief.

Not that unusual to cast a female as a male.
Not to sure about English Dubs, but I can name at least 2 or 3 seiyū who have more than one male role....

Archer112 said:
Nyu said:
hopeful_monster said:
CitizenGeek said:

Not to sure about English Dubs, but I can name at least 2 or 3 seiyū who have more than one male role....

I'm not saying its unusual. i'm saying i find it weird that they cast a female to do a male role in which the character should have a heavy regional accent. you get the double whammy of a girl acting as a boy acting as a cockney/mancurian.

where as it would have been easier, in my opinion, to get a young local actor to do the role. but as i said, it needs to be tailored for the international market and not just us.

Nyu said:
it needs to be tailored for the international market and not just us.

But does that not just reinforce the steryotype?

It seems British are either stuck up posh or cocknys.
(Note: I have no problem with either dialect)

Nyu said:
Archer112 said:
Nyu said:
hopeful_monster said:
CitizenGeek said:

I'm not saying its unusual. i'm saying i find it weird that they cast a female to do a male role in which the character should have a heavy regional accent. you get the double whammy of a girl acting as a boy acting as a cockney/mancurian.

where as it would have been easier, in my opinion, to get a young local actor to do the role. but as i said, it needs to be tailored for the international market and not just us.

Yea, I guess.
I supposed, even though it's a little dated, you could use the example of the film 'Gregory's Girl', they had to redub/sub it for international release as Americans didn't understand the heavy Scot' accents.

chaos said:
Steamboy is the first Katsuhiro Otomo film after Akira. It's good, but still didn't live up to my expectations.
... ?

What about Metropolis? Or Memories? Or Roujin-Z? Or do you mean 'the next best after?'

Actually, I'd say I don't really like any of his movies anyway. Steamboy is probably my favorite of all, since it didn't inspire any kind of specific dislike.

kupoartist said:
chaos said:
Steamboy is the first Katsuhiro Otomo film after Akira. It's good, but still didn't live up to my expectations.
... ?

What about Metropolis? Or Memories? Or Roujin-Z? Or do you mean 'the next best after?'

Actually, I'd say I don't really like any of his movies anyway. Steamboy is probably my favorite of all, since it didn't inspire any kind of specific dislike.
Metropolis he was script writer, memories he was a producer and roujin-z, well, I've never seen it :p I don't think I need to say how Akira has a special place in my heart, do I? ;)

I do think Metropolis is awesome, but then again, Osamu Tezuka fanboy here...

chaos said:
Having read the original manga, it's hard to place just where Tezuka's work actually figures in the movie version. Not that I was expecting them to try to get away with putting a race of mutant Mickey Mouses into a feature film, but, you know.

kupoartist said:
chaos said:
Having read the original manga, it's hard to place just where Tezuka's work actually figures in the movie version. Not that I was expecting them to try to get away with putting a race of mutant Mickey Mouses into a feature film, but, you know.
mm, never really read the manga to tell. it did felt like a mixture of tezuka and otomo though...

Back