Steamboy UK DVD release date

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to news reported by UK Anime, Columbia Tristar have set Steamboy with a UK DVD release date of 6th June (we assume there are no plans for a limited UK theatrical release). The DVD extras are said to include an interview with director Katsuhiro Ôtomo, production sketches and a 'multi-screen landscape study'.

Steamboy is the latest anime movie from Akira director Katsuhiro Ôtomo. Interestingly, the story is set in Victorian England and has secured the voices of several high profile British actors for the English language dub (Patrick Stewart and Alfred Molina).

This yet more good news for the UK. Really looking forward to this one, it looks great and I'm glad they've managed to secure an interview with Otomo.

Steampunk is used to refer to settings based on industrial revolution, mid-late 19th century Europe, mostly Victorian Britian. An example would be Last Exile, which mixes some of these elements (like the military uniforms in the series) with sky-soaring sci-fi elements.

The trailer was on Tokyo Godfathers, so I knew it was getting released by Columbia, but I wonder whether the trailer for it was on the normal version of TG? That was out ages ago and would've let the cat out of the bag!

Fabulous, been looking forward to this so much. now if only someone will announce the release for Innocence I'll be a very happy bunny.

oh yeah and capuhin the trailer for steamboy was on the release of memories & the first release of tokyo godfathers so they did give it away a while ago...

I'm sure they're just delayed. Did anyone see Astroboy when it was on TV here?
I really liked Metropolis but I've a feeling the new Astroboy series will be aimed at a younger audience.

Steamboy released this year: excellent. interview with Otomo himself: better still. Patrick Stewart as a voice actor: bloody marvellous. i'm really looking forward to this one.

I'm disappointed that it's gone "straight to video" though. I mean, if this can't get into cinemas on even a limited release, what can? Steamboy has so much going for it in the UK context:

1) It's directed by Otomo, creator of Akira and probably the second most recognised name after Miyazaki.
2) It's set in England
3) It involves established English voice talent
4) It's a very impressive looking anime

Why Oh Why is it not given any chance at the cinema? A quick release onto DVD is good on the one hand, because I love owning films. But if Steamboy can't make theatrical, what hope does any any anime - barring Miyazaki (Howl's Moving Castle deserves a full UK release - it's a UK book. it's Miyazaki ffs!) - have of getting into the cinema?

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/590/590668p1.html

Links to clips and interviews here.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/06/PKGCCB5OV81.DTL&type=movies
SEEING DOUBLE: Serious anime fans in seven U.S. cities get a chance this month to see "Steamboy" with subtitles. At the same time, a second version of the long-awaited feature from Japanese auteur Katsuhiro Otomo will be released in 60 markets as a PG-13 family-friendly adventure featuring the dubbed voices of Patrick Stewart and Anna Paquin.

The subtitled version opens March 18 at the Lumiere, while the dubbed "Steamboy" bows the same day at the Act in Berkeley.

Why the bilingual distribution strategy?

"Normally, I do not approve of dubbing," says Michael Schlesinger, vice president for Sony Pictures Repertory, the film's American distributor. "However, this is an exception because the movie takes place in 19th century London. It is very odd, to say the least, when you see Victorian-era British characters speaking Japanese. Most anime pictures take place either in Japan or some kind of fantasy structure."

"Steamboy," Schlesinger says, is "the exception that proves the rule. It's one thing to hear Billy Bob Thornton in 'Princess Mononoke. ' That takes you right out of the picture. But in this case, we think the dubbing actually helps keep people in the picture."

"Steamboy" -- eight years in the making -- is the first full-length anime feature from director Otomo since his groundbreaking 1988 cyberpunk classic "Akira." Budgeted at $22 million, it's one of the most expensive Japanese productions in history, and Schlesinger says expectations among anime true believers are enormous.

"It's as if Scorsese made 'Raging Bull' and then didn't do another film for 16 years," he says. "That encapsulates the want-to-see factor for anime fans, who can be zealous about these things, especially when it comes to Otomo. "

Normally I'd say Sony were going on the box office in the States, but in this case the film won't start playing for two weeks (whereas we had it in a festival last year, and I believe it's on tour at the moment).
I guess thye don't see a market for it, the Sony animax films have only ever had the odd festival screening, if any, and the only anime released nationally so far is Spirited Away I believe. Maybe they think it doesn't have the clout that did?

I like the look of the Steamboy: Director's Cut (Limited) that comes out the same day as the Steamboy DVD (06/06/2005) tho it cost like 10 £ more i think i will go for the limited edition one as i like the look of the Limited edition book and the Artwork cards and the Comic book

is anyone else getting the limited or just the cheaper one???

I was not sure if anyone had been informed about the limited edition release of steamboy as i could not find a topic about it in the forums and its not in the release schedule.

the limited ed if possible. i'd probably have no intention of selling it at a later date so i'm not worried about how collectible it will be in future, but i have a thing for DVD extras. The likes of Otomo deserve that little extra effort after all.

Im getting the LE, mainy due to it been a Directors Cut.

I have to wonder if this will be a UK only LE, just like the Tokyo Godfathers box ?

Personally I'm not too worried about it not getting a theatrical release here - it might still squirm into the more independent cinemas, e.g. Cornerhouse near where I live (which had Spirited Away on recently).

Back