Stay on track - Baccano! simulwatch [RS] (14/02 - 01/03)

Episode 4

I think it's obvious where Dallas-neesan is, he's sleeping with the fishes. It's kind of freaky that Eve (the girl - thanks OP!) doesn't grow up yet he does, perhaps she is also some kind of immortal bakemono?

Most people run from danger, Ladd runs headfirst into it, that's just the kind of man he is. He's assembled a crew of deranged killers all dressed in white, angels of death incarnate.

The gangsters in black really fell for the trope of losing the upper-hand despite holding all of the cards. They had the advantage in both arms and position, and for some bizarre reason they let Ladd approach, disarm, and start killing them. Deserved to die for being bakas! 🔫

Isaac and Miria are just the kind of lovable idiots to lighten the mood, pretending to be well-to-do but acting suspicious as hell, the hat store owner didn't look phased at all. Dream big you loveable idiots.

I too made the mistake of thinking that Szilard was the guy we saw before getting beaten up in the alley. I am getting heavy illuminati vibes from Szilard and his crew. The elite that found the elixir of life, and have been trying to perfect immortality, I'd guess all so they can stay alive and run things from the shadows.

What is interesting is that a lot of people seem to have this same immortality thing going on.

Episode F

IVE

That's right. 1931.1930.1932.1930.

The intro to Jacuzzi's gang is such a riot! We got yet more supernatural stuff happening and we're getting closer to Ray(l) Tracing ♥ 🚋

I'm also eager to see more of Maiza and Firo, they seem like a decent lot. Why am I writing as if I've never watched this...

Episode 5

Oh Jacuzzi you worry wort. I find him very annoying to be honest. But at least his whiny patheticness is so extreme is pure caricature. Everyone else in his group is so much more fun, entertaining and interesting. Especially bomb girl; I love she wants to hang around and stay for the explosion while Jacuzzi is all "nope!"

Kinda feels like a backstory episode where several pieces back in the city are put in place though the big picture is still a ways away. I do really love the way this show constructs the jigsaw. Firo proves himself and Szilard is an evil b*stard.

I'm really enjoying all the Rail Tracer cliffhangers. I'd completely forgotten how well the show uses them. Everytime I just want to dive right into the next episode. I guess the previous times I've watched I have just binged it so it tough to have to wait!

Episode 5

Jacuzzi is definitely good at whining, but I've not really seen him be good at much else. Maybe his tactic is just to whine a lot until the crew arrives? The people after him also fell victim to the trope of talking too much and not pulling the trigger enough.

Szilard has very strange powers, what else can he do I wonder? He definitely seems to control his camp with an iron grip, his powers seem pretty handy ✋ to me.

I think the information shop got the better of the exchange again, not that the other party realised it.

Re-l Tracer strikes again! 🛤️

Not that the episode was slow, but it wasn't as action packed as the previous couple we had, primarily seems we had more developments. Lack of Isaac and Miria antics shown this time, I hope we get some more screen time with them next episode.

The meeting of Ennis and Firo seems fated to happen, and she'll likely get her button back. Hard life being a homunculus.

Last edited:
Catch up, catch up and having just watched 3 episodes in a row I have to say that my goodness this show is bonkers and directed so, escaping any genre classification methinks. Even the music/score is used to schizophrenic manic-ness, with the randomly upbeat jazz jam during Ladd beating the dude to a bloody pulp somehow working for the scene reflecting the character's insane excitement at killing a poor sod. Very interesting show, though I feel the animation lets it down a bit and is nowhere near able up keep up with the show's ambitions!

I agree there is a lot, lot going on and the comparison with Tarantino and Ritchie escapades is apt, though I'm still really enjoying the non-linear nature and for me it adds to the fun whilst keeping you on your toes. With the limited episodes I somehow feel that following a linear approach akin to the likely much more expansive novels would have done the huge cast even less justice. The opening credits definitely help keep a track of the myriad cast and I like how the recaps are very effectively slotted within the op, not something you see often.

I too am too sleep-deprived to think straight and add much else apart from the fact that Isaac & Miria happily steal the show with every scene of theirs, even I felt in episode 5 with the off-screen Miria screaming about Isaac being dead heheh... He better not be dead though, even if the timelines are jumping all over the place...

Episode 6

I WIN TODAY! :cool:

Re-l tracer is pretty acrobatic aren't they? wonder who it actually is, must be one of the people we've met so far. Wondered it was Czes as he's kind of a loner, but he's been with the girl.

Alright I'm on board now, Dallas was one of the guys who beat up Barnes earlier, he didn't seem to make a big impression. Still think he'll wind up sleeping with the fishes at some point.

With Jacuzzi and the gang, I forgot to mention this last time, but that big dude is definitely drawn to be huge, he fills that corridor of the train, and if you pay attention you'll see he struggles to get through the doorways.

More Isaac and Miria antics, funny seeing their history of thievery. Ennis, who previously ran them over, saving them was a nice twist of karma. She's right though, they were just dancing into the street.

Eve was easily fooled, and is now a captive, I do wonder how she will be treated. The director of the information shop being stuck behind a fat stack of papers, maybe we'll get to see their face at some point, for now it's almost as if the stack is talking.

What is the injection doing that Szilard administers to Dallas? It seems like he is surprised by the result. Being so old, he probably doesn't get surprised by much anymore. Their was a theory running around that Dallas was immortal, so maybe the injection tests for that?

We haven't really seen what became of the 2 lost bottles yet, maybe Dallas had a drink or two. Due to out of order sequencing I think it's possible, and it may also be partially why some of the others are immortal too? The supernatural things are definitely not really explained yet.

Actually......

There are 4 seasons lol 1x24 (or 26,not sure) and 3x12 (or 13) episodes.

Too much? Yeah, too much, that's never happening in a simulwatch - but do watch it, they're all really good and don't fluctuate a lot in quality from what I remember!
This series has certainly reminded me to move Durarara up my watchlist, it's been lounging there for a shamefully long period, but four seasons?! Ah man, okay I'm going to get to it after my current fate/stay night epic re-watch in preparation of the final heaven's feel movie's UK release.
Dallas was one of the guys who beat up Barnes earlier, he didn't seem to make a big impression. Still think he'll wind up sleeping with the fishes at some point
Yeah he certainly comes across as a small-time thug and the op does hint at him swimming with the fishies, though did he taste immortality and is therefore forever drowning?? That would be the worst kind of torture...
that big dude is definitely drawn to be huge, he fills that corridor of the train, and if you pay attention you'll see he struggles to get through the doorways.
Another character that have me a good chuckle with his struggles just moving around the train, especially through the doors heheh.
The director of the information shop being stuck behind a fat stack of papers, maybe we'll get to see their face at some point, for now it's almost as if the stack is talking.
So this unhinged show has thrown almost every genre at us but with the president hidden behind the stack of papers we've even got proto-monogatari art style! He had a very similar laid-back delivery to the vice-president of the paper narrating the start of the story in episode 1.
We haven't really seen what became of the 2 lost bottles yet, maybe Dallas had a drink or two.
I believe Luck Gandor took them when he threw Dallas back out on the streets.
Re-l tracer
Now I realise why that immortal kid's surname of Meyer kept sounding so bloody familiar!!

The mysteries carry on, with more supernatural surprises with the Re-l tracer. Why do I get the feeling there is a lot more to Jacuzzi than just being whiny? Actually, I get that with all these characters, too much mystery! I wonder if we will get a Memento style moment with past, future and present all coming together at the end for this Dallas character who seems to have some central role in the onset of this era's activities.

Actually......

There are 4 seasons lol 1x24 (or 26,not sure) and 3x12 (or 13) episodes.

Too much? Yeah, too much, that's never happening in a simulwatch

This series has certainly reminded me to move Durarara up my watchlist, it's been lounging there for a shamefully long period, but four seasons?!

I could be down for doing a Season 1 simulwatch on Durararararararara only, that would be a lot easier for people to manage I think.

Possibly we could even speed up the pace a bit in terms of episode counts per day, as it's a longer season. if it's split into arcs then might even be able to split that way? I don't know how it's structured.

Why do I get the feeling there is a lot more to Jacuzzi than just being whiny?

I can't imagine his special move is to just act up, I also get the impression they all respect him so much for other reasons. Looking forward to the showdown with Ladd.

I wonder if we will get a Memento style moment with past, future and present all coming together at the end for this Dallas character who seems to have some central role in the onset of this era's activities.

Yep he's shown as small fry, but as you say he's been fairly central in a lot of the plot points so far.

Episode 7

I win 2 days in a row :cool:

I think this is the first episode we've had so far where we largely stay in one place for events? This is indeed one of the beginnings that was mentioned at the beginning as well, the events on the ship.

Last episode I said a lot of the supernatural stuff hadn't really been answered yet. This episode must have been listening because that is the main topic of today.

I definitely enjoyed seeing how the alchemists gained their immortality, I wonder what the price was though? The demon or whoever they spoke to who told them the recipe seemed to be quite happy to just give it away, but he's almost created a battle royale scenario where the immortals have to eat each other to gain the secret of how to brew more of the cure all elixir, Szilard in particular is keen to recreate it, the rest seem more willing to see how things go with their new found immortality.

Szilard having eaten part of the puzzle himself has enough to go on to work out the rest himself, and I think that is what we see when his henchman Barnes manages to make some more of it back in the current timeline.

Sylvie being the only one who didn't drink the elixir was also the reason she didn't get killed, I find that kind of ironic. Imagine getting immortality only to instantly die? Events here open up an interesting principal, if the eating thing only works on other immortals, then anyone who gets eaten this way is by definition an immortal.

Re-l tracer like shenanigans seemed afoot as well, but my brain was confused on this, it was as if it was showing that after they drank the elixir, but it was also shown before they did. With the knowledge that the eating thing doesn't work on mortals, yet they were being eaten early on, I think it was actually showing that before they drank it? some clarity on what people saw here would be appreciated! :)

People that drink the elixir also seem to gain a certain degree of acrobatic ability, for an old man, Szilard is fairly spry. Elmer wants Sylvie to smile a lot, but give her a break man, her partner has just been eaten.

Based on all seen to date I'd say the R-el tracer has to be one of the immortals, and also the legend of the R-el tracer is probably born from the same kind of thing we saw on the ship.

I'm STILL AHEAD OF YOU!

Re: eating mortals - yeah, they purposefully injected second rate elixir for the old man to be able to consume dallas' pals. Presumably, it'd enable that facet of being immortal, which is handy lol

I agree, the ship episode is greeeat. I think the Demon dude just want to see shiit hitting the fan.

I got to the Re-l (oooooooh very nice) Tracer reveal the other day and have stopped ever since. The show gets exponentially better after that reveal. From what I remember at least.

Should say something that I've only watched this once but remember most of it. The definition of memorable!

Episode 8

Tracking down master criminal duo Isaac and Miria now requires the FBI! 🕵️‍♂️

Alright this is the episode we'd all been waiting for, with the lovable scoundrels taking centre stage.

Did anyone else notice how they said they'd been involved in more than 110 robberies? It's funny as I'm sure in a previous episode the count of how many times Miria was in danger was "under 100 times" and they were happy about it. If this is an intentional detail, and I like to think it is, then we've moved forwards a little in time for that clip.

The pair have also somehow managed to successfully commit a crime big enough to warrant the attention. Is this the thievery from the Genoards?

Jacuzzi and the gang seem quite brave going outside of the train in order to find the Re-l tracer like that, I'd think they'd be at a major disadvantage doing so given the Re-l tracers apparent acrobatic ability.

Isaac and Miria, beyond just being thieves, also give back by way of life coaching. It's an amusing double life where on the one hand they just want to have fun and steal random things, and on the other hand they genuinely seem to want to help people with good advice.

The thing I like the most about the pair is just how carried away they can get, and between them it just bounces back and forth gaining momentum, so we somehow wind up with them believing that Jacuzzi has been eaten whole and is now a figment in their imagination. Is it just me or is Jacuzzi getting a big old eye full of Miria there? lmao. Lucky devil! 👿 The old trip and fall trope worked 10/10 would do again.

I kind of disagree with their assessment that you can be good just by people saying you are, it feels like they are making up for something that we haven't seen them do yet, by doing good acts to try and balance out the bad ones, but is one specific bad one so bad that they think they can find redemption?

Poor Eve, she deserves a better brother. What exactly did they steal from the Genoards here? I don't think they've stated what it was, just that it was their most valuable treasure?

Had a busy weekend so a bit of catching up to do

Episode 6
Quite a tense episode this one. All the stories had rising emotional states and stakes. The girl in the closet, Dallas being awful to Issac and Miria, Jacuzzi various discoveries, Dallas' sister getting taken and of course the rail tracer making moves!

Episode 7
Forget the Rail Tracer this time we get the Sail Tracer! The crazy story just gets bigger and weirder with the mother of all flashback episodes (it also marks the midpoint of the series). We discover that Szilard and Maiza have been in the thick of the immortal game for a seriously long time! And that Szilard has always been a greedy, grumpy, mean old man. My impression is that Szilard goes on a rampage after they all drink and the show is just being screwy with the timeline but I may be wrong.

Episode 8
Back to business as usual with Issac and Miria's mad and hilarious antics. I love how they transcend the various storylines and spread joy and peace to everyone they meet whilst simultaneously being maximum chaotic at all times!

I definitely enjoyed seeing how the alchemists gained their immortality, I wonder what the price was though? The demon or whoever they spoke to who told them the recipe seemed to be quite happy to just give it away, but he's almost created a battle royale scenario where the immortals have to eat each other to gain the secret of how to brew more of the cure all elixir
Another Faustian trade but yes at what price indeed I was wondering too, as the demon didn't seem to ask for anything specifically, but a very good point on him just wanting to instigate the battle royale! Ultimately he does just want to light a fire and observe the chaos, not unlike the finally-revealed Huey character who just seems to want to observe proceedings rather than necessarily partake. I'm still wondering about the logic of the immortals wanting to make more of this stuff though. They're already immortal themselves, and effectively family to each other to spend eternity with, I doubt they're benevolent enough to want it for everyone, and if it's just to have it for more of their cronies then surely those are replaceable too and don't need to be immortal? So if in the present (1931) Szilard's minion Barnes had perfected the formula, and then been promptly sucked up by Szilard, then the latter knew of the colonel's secret recipe to make fried chicken for all, which makes me wonder what he is doing in the further, further present (1932) as I don't think we've seen him then.
With the knowledge that the eating thing doesn't work on mortals, yet they were being eaten early on, I think it was actually showing that before they drank it?
I definitely think they were still playing with the timelines within this single event as well, as I too thought this was the origin of the Re-l tracer one minute, until Szilard is revealed to be the stalker murderer after the demon summoning.

I may be lagging behind here for a few days now, but guess I'll enjoy getting confused catching up on multiple episodes/timelines later heh. Oh and on the point of Durararararara, I'll definitely be up for the first season to simulwatch, especially if we can do a couple of episodes a day but maybe with a few breaks in between for catching up.

Back