Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Heads to the UK on FunimationNow!

I see the logic, but I'm not sure distributors will. If there was s dip in sales, they'd probably chalk it up to a lack of interest in the shows themselves as opposed to assuming it's something to do with the specific way to was streamed. I'm not sure boycotting a release for such a reason would have any long term impact unless it was done en mass, it just seems like kind of a waste of time and ends up only spiting yourself by getting the inferior US release.

I don't see the US release as inferior because I have primarily region A players, so it's actually more convenient to have foreign discs even if the presentation is not as nice. I don't hold the lack of UK streams against the US companies when we are meant to have UK companies advocating for us (and trying to sell product). Of course, I'm also lucky enough to be able to afford both if I screw up and think Hyouka is the best show ever after watching it.

While I like CEs, a CE of a series I know very little about just doesn't get me going at all. I need to feel involved to start throwing cash at something. When I bought the Fate/Zero sets from AoA, it was because I had seen Fate/Zero streaming and loved it. I was pleased that they had supported me with the simulcast and also given me an opportunity to buy just like any other English-speaking customer on the planet, even though, objectively, in the long term it was kind of a bad deal since cheaper sets were obviously coming later. The CE model doesn't work for me when the companies are taking my wallet for granted and banking on me having pirated it or being a big fan of the key art/description. I need to feel as though they value me if they want me to value them back.

I get what you're saying about them not being able to do anything about lost sales if they don't know why. There's a lot of talk about people who choose to pirate rather than buy, but I'm willing and able to buy local yet still refusing when I feel that the industry isn't serving me.

That's why I welcome being questioned about my quixotic one-man campaigns :D

Edit: Psychologically speaking it annoys me even more in a CE-driven market. If I love the show, I want the CE. If I like the show, I'll get the standard. For a blind buy, this model puts me in a very difficult position; do I buy the CE and risk sinking a lot of money into a show I might not care about that much, or the standard and risk having the extra expense of a double dip if I don't hate it in the first place? Either way I'm potentially wasting my hard-earned cash so I may as well wait until some future date when a stream is available in a season where nothing newer, better and shinier is stealing my attention - this will never happen. There are other anime titles out there. I don't need Hyouka, Yamato or GARO. It's even more insulting when fans in Japan and the US are able to try before they buy just because they happen to live in a more favourable region.

R

Last edited:
??

It's a remake of the original 1974 Space Battleship Yamato Anime series

Yes, which is what the original Battlestar Galactica from 1978 was pretty much based off of...

I'm presuming GWG probably means that's the easiest way to describe it to people who haven't seen it, rather than what it literally is.

Yes - but I also mean it uses a lot of the scenes, designs and ideas from the BSG 2004 series, for example the funeral pods scene, so it is very similar in many ways. Also, one of the background music tracks in 2199, which usually plays around the 20-21 minute mark in some of the episodes, uses the first line of the BSG 1978 main theme song, which is a nice homage, too... So, all four series from both eras borrow ideas and are intertwined...

Okay, just want to clear something up because there seems to be some misconception surrounding Hyouka's streaming availability.

When Funimation adds the latest titles on their service it's always dubbed only, and the subtitled version will end up on Crunchyroll later on. Hyouka won't be on Crunchyroll until all of the episodes are added on Funimation in home video form. It's just how it works for now. Patience is a virtue - the show will be on Crunchyroll at some point.

As far as I'm aware Nichijou isn't streaming in the US however.

Okay, just want to clear something up because there seems to be some misconception surrounding Hyouka's streaming availability.

When Funimation adds the latest titles on their service it's always dubbed only, and the subtitled version will end up on Crunchyroll later on. Hyouka won't be on Crunchyroll until all of the episodes are added on Funimation in home video form. It's just how it works for now. Patience is a virtue - the show will be on Crunchyroll at some point.

As far as I'm aware Nichijou isn't streaming in the US however.

Thanks for explaining that. I don't suppose there is any way to predict how long the delay will be before titles will be added subbed on Crunchyroll? Could this mean a delayed addition of the subbed version Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to Crunchyroll in the UK?

If Anime Limited weren't releasing Hyouka in a nice Collector's Edition I might have waited for it to appear on Crunchyroll. I'm also buying it because of Kyoto Animation's reputation and having enjoyed their other works (Nichijou (I'd like a UK Blu-ray rather than streaming this again), K-on, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, A Silent Voice).

Thanks for explaining that. I don't suppose there is any way to predict how long the delay will be before titles will be added subbed on Crunchyroll? Could this mean a delayed addition of the subbed version Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to Crunchyroll in the UK?

If Anime Limited weren't releasing Hyouka in a nice Collector's Edition I might have waited for it to appear on Crunchyroll. I'm also buying it because of Kyoto Animation's reputation and having enjoyed their other works (Nichijou (I'd like a UK Blu-ray rather than streaming this again), K-on, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, A Silent Voice).

Unfortunately for some bizarre and strange logical reason the subtitled version won't be available for the UK on Crunchyroll, it's the same situation as Garo -VANISHING LINE- and I have no clue why this is the case.

That reminds me, I need to order that Hyouka set (I'm curious).

Back