Spoopy Anime

Apart from those suggested by others already maybe Texhnolyze? I guess whether it's horror is a bit debatable but it is unsettling psychologically with some pretty graphic violence, and worth watching if you liked Lain and Boogiepop IMO :)
Great show. If I remember rightly it's a bit of a slow burn to start but I did really enjoy it.

Oh yeah I got the Texhnolyze DVD collection a while back. Will definitely consider it for spooky viewing.

Also while some psychologically driven shows may not fit the usual perception of the genre I think they're still unsettling enough for consideration.

Will also suggest The Garden of Sinners. The Type Moon, ufotable and Yuki Kajiura combination is great as usual and a good option if you enjoyed the darker aspects of the Fate series.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I got the Texhnolyze DVD collection a while back. Will definitely consider it for spooky viewing.

Also while some psychologically driven shows may not fit the usual perception of the genre I think they're still unsettling enough for consideration.

Will also suggest The Garden of Sinners. The Type Moon, ufotable and Yuki Kajiura combination is great as usual and a good option if you enjoyed the darker aspects of the Fate series.

Garden of Sinners is very good. One of my best MVM purchases, I hope they get the final film one day

hint hint @MVM lol :p

There are a lot of spoopy anime around, but even with my massive loop of rewatch, i got a nice coincidence with the next two series on my rewatch pile. Just finished watching Ghost in the Shell Arise and Rosario and Vampire again, and the next two shows are Texhnolyze and Soul Eater. Soul Eater's certainly got a great aesthetic for Halloween, even if it's on the lighter side.

So having previously mentioned Chaos;Head I'm back now to say its sequel Chaos;Child is a masterpiece. The horror elements are very well done and when they make an appearance are very creepy. But the general mystery part if the story is so well executed and in the later half of the series, when the revelations start to come it's amazing. Also the double length epilogue OVA epsiode is amazing and elevates the entire show. The animation is also considerably better than the first season and the characters are more likeable.

I really liked Chaos;Head but I'd now say watch it just so you can watch its sequel Chaos;Child. I've only just finished it but my minds buzzing.

Key the Metal Idol and Basilisk fit the bill quite well IMO :) A case might also be made for Le Chevalier D'Eon but YMMV (really enjoyed that series though and would recommend it regardless).

Haven't seen a mention for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia in this thread so far, so I've dropped that in. Its first episode is a great piece of writing showing how the same set of events can look so very different depending on which character's perspective you're seeing it from. 😂

I keep meaning to finish that show! I have the UK DVD release :) I remember it having very pretty kind of Shaft-esque art direction, though IIRC the studio is actually Silver Link? :)

I remember it having very pretty kind of Shaft-esque art direction, though IIRC the studio is actually Silver Link?
Yeah, that's right now you mention it. 🤔
I remember being really surprised when I learned it wasn't Shaft; it has the hallmarks of it.

Fyi, MVM's UK DVD has a commentary track for every episode, plus the extended version of the finale. Some minor video glitching in one episode as well, though.

I remember being really surprised when I learned it wasn't Shaft; it has the hallmarks of it.

Fyi, MVM's UK DVD has a commentary track for every episode, plus the extended version of the finale. Some minor video glitching in one episode as well, though.

What did you think of the commentaries? :) Does the US BD set by Sentai Filmworks with the OST included have those and the extended finale? :)

I don't see it on AOL does it have another name it goes by?

Back