Spoopy Anime

Vincentdante

Time-Traveller
It's October and almost Halloween. For me I make it a tradition to try and watch or play any horror related media I can get my hands on as I am a fan of the genre. I've been an anime collector for over a year now since I brought into AL's christmas mystery boxes in 2018. So the thought occured to me that for this year I should try and find out if there any genuinely good, genuinely scary horror anime out in the wild? I am open to all suggestions.

Another was a good horror series. Also Blood the Last Vampire is a classic. But also Blood C is a very good gore horror.

Ghost Hunt, while quite comedic could certainly up the horror and tension vibes. The Blood Soaked Labyrinth arc in particular is a horror anime highlight for me.

I plan to watch When They Cry Season 2 this month as well as Hellsing Ultimate.

Some of my suggestions would be Kizumonogatari, Serial Experiments Lain, Another, Parasyte, Boogiepop and Others and Dorohedoro.

Could also go for Calamity of a Zombie Girl if you want something comically bad.

I couldn't say there's a single anime that's scared me, and im a massive wuss when it comes to horror films. Perfect Blue is the best one that comes to mind if that counts.

I find manga are much better for horror stories.

I've been watching the original anime adaptation of Higurashi: When They Cry. It's a pretty solid horror series so far.

I've actually played the VN for Higurashi and honestly I thought the Anime was pretty poor in comparison (playing through Umineko now which is also awesome).

Thanks for all the recomendations all. I have heard about Another before and it got 2 recommendations here so I might give that a look first and see where it goes.

Something spoopy themed...

Berserk is way too obvious, while Made in Abyss necessarily isn't that theme the creepy antagonist bondrewd certainly is, having seen the Deep Soul movie recently myself

I haven't had a lot of time to properly watch anything myself, other than catching up on seasonals now and then, I can only think of maybe something with zombies like is this a zombie or ZombieLand Saga

Yeah theres lots of shows that have a horror element but aren't really horrors like Zombie Land Saga is an excellent comedy about Zombies. Also Bkue Exorcist is a great action shonen type show about demons and hell spawn.

School-Live I think gets a good balance of comedy and having actual horror in it. It's a great show. Also Hellsing Ultimate is an excellent show that starts out leaning into the horror and becomes more action as it goes along. Also I know it only got 1 season so is incomplete and fan service is at silly levels but High School Of The Dead is a great action suvival horror.

Theres a bunch of great mangas that have horror stuff in them. Basically anything Junji Ito wrote of course. Magical Girl Apocalypse is a fun and very violent read. Theres a series of managas called Doubt, Judge and Secret (released in that order) that have the people locked in location and start to die one by one premise that are a good read too.

You know considering how many ghost, yokai and oni fairy tales Japan actually has I am astonished there isn't some kind of grim adaptation of those. (A lot of them are even spooky by default like the scissors girl ghost which was adapted in DC Comics Constantine of all things).

You know considering how many ghost, yokai and oni fairy tales Japan actually has I am astonished there isn't some kind of grim adaptation of those. (A lot of them are even spooky by default like the scissors girl ghost which was adapted in DC Comics Constantine of all things).
So Ghost Hunt does have a lot of that kind of stuff in it. The mysteries and spooky goings on that the team investigate are often based on that sort of thing.

If you’re looking for something more akin to a psychological thriller then Naoki Urasawa's Monster is a great series, and one in dire need to a licence rescue.

Psychological horror is my jam (which is why my favorite Junji Ito stories are the ones which leave an impression over the ones that favour body horror). Is the licence in limbo at the moment or something?

Psychological horror is my jam (which is why my favorite Junji Ito stories are the ones which leave an impression over the ones that favour body horror). Is the licence in limbo at the moment or something?
From memory the series wasn’t a good seller in the US (I believe it only had one or two volumes released) and the only full English-friendly release is an OOP Australian DVD set. As far as I know, it isn’t available for streaming either.

Last edited:
From memory the series wasn’t a good seller in the US (I believe it only had one volume released) and the only full English-friendly release is an OOP Australian DVD set. As far as I know, it isn’t available for streaming either.
It's also 74 episodes long so the BBFC costs sure will be fun

From memory the series wasn’t a good seller in the US (I believe it only had one volume released) and the only full English-friendly release is an OOP Australian DVD set. As far as I know, it isn’t available for streaming either.
Long story short there's licensing complications with the Urasawa anime titles. Discotek definitely wants it but Sevakis summed up the situation.

So Ghost Hunt does have a lot of that kind of stuff in it. The mysteries and spooky goings on that the team investigate are often based on that sort of thing.
I’ll second Ghost Hunt as a good choice, was one of my favourites early on when I was getting into anime and is a series I should really rewatch soon.

I’ll second Ghost Hunt as a good choice, was one of my favourites early on when I was getting into anime and is a series I should really rewatch soon.
Yeah it's one of those shows I keep coming back to. To be honest it's in my top 5 most rewatched animes. It's hard for me to explain exactly why but every now and then I just want to watch it.

I tried watching the first episode of Ghost Hunt last night and ended up spending until 2am fighting Funimations horrible media player. I mean goddamn Funi, how did you manage to make it worse?

It refused to play subtitles unless adblock was off. When I did turn adblock off it kept looping a commercial behind the playing video that coudn't be disabled. Then in the one moment I got that to go away the entire video player refused to fade away it's UI overlay so I enjoyed a portion of the episode with all that covering half of the video. I keep thinking "Oh yeah I'll resub they have stuff I want to watch" then something like this happens and I'm glad I didn't waste the money.

Sorry guys I resorted to torrents for a second attempt tonight. It was 2am when I gave up in frustration and I had work still the next day.

Back