Spice & Wolf has cover jackets due to retailers requests

chaos

The Boss
"It has been brought to my attention that some people weren’t thrilled with the cover of the first volume of the Spice & Wolf light novel. (Shocking, I know!) Seriously, though, we do very much take feedback from the fans to heart. It was based on that feedback that we ended up offering jackets featuring the original Japanese artwork to interested online retailers, and it was also based on that feedback that we opted to change our approach to the Spice & Wolf light novels going forward.

Therefore, for the second novel, each copy will come jacketed featuring a photographic cover to satisfy the requests of our retail partners who have asked that the books be made more appealing to a wider purchasing public. However, the printed covers beneath the jackets will feature the original illustrations that appeared on the Japanese editions of the book.

We want to thank everyone who has supported the Spice & Wolf light novels so far (and the first volume of the manga which just released and has been selling phenomenally!), and we hope that this change will only help to bolster your enthusiasm for the series!"

From Yen Press' Press release

I couldn't help, but find this interesting how retailers influence the business decisions of publishers.

I wonder how much this influence extend to anime DVD's and other publishng houses as well.

chaos said:
I couldn't help, but find this interesting how retailers influence the business decisions of publishers.

I wonder how much this influence extend to anime DVD's and other publishng houses as well.

I doubt it will have a great affect. With novels it's different, you imagine what the characters look like, but if you put a photgraphic cover on an anime that's kinda false advertsiing. I'm aware some films do that or the opposite (cartoon/anime cover on a live action film) but it's rarer these days.

Doing that would be more likely to piss off "normal" viewers, I remember a lot of my friends were annoyed about the anime sequence in Kill Bill, even though that was like 5 minutes long. (I actually thought that was the only decent bit, not a big KB fan)

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Doing that would be more likely to piss off "normal" viewers, I remember a lot of my friends were annoyed about the anime sequence in Kill Bill, even though that was like 5 minutes long. (I actually thought that was the only decent bit, not a big KB fan)
Annoyed? I'm not entirely sure I understand why one get annoyed with that sequence as it was partially to keep viewers from the shock of a child prostitute killing a mafia boss...

chaos said:

Try telling that to Tokyopop when it comes to Full Metal Panic. Bloody idiots they are.

Seems to be a good solution that keeps both sides happy. So far Yen have been handeling the light novels well. Hopefully they won't fail like almost everyone else that's tried to release them.

I dare say that Yen Press is my favourite publishing house atm.
not only they have a great selection of titles, their books are a notch above the others, quality-wise.

for some reason I see them as Dark Horse with decent prices, if that makes sense to you.

chaos said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Annoyed? I'm not entirely sure I understand why one get annoyed with that sequence as it was partially to keep viewers from the shock of a child prostitute killing a mafia boss...

What can I say, my friends are retards =P

One can frequently find despair-inducing false advertising with DVD covers of foreign films, even when both are photographic. Remember the unrelated generic horror image that Revolver were thinking of releasing the Ôtomo Katsuhiro Mushishi film under (and thankfully reconsidered)? Today I saw that the 2008 Butterfly Lovers, a pretty, romantic, period, idol vehicle is to have a UK DVD release with the title The Assassin's Blade a macho cover design full of fire and blood.

I've just checked this Butterfly Lovers out and I'd definitely get it, but I'm not sure I would get the Assassin's Blade though. hey, wait a moment.... :/

Seriously, this decision definitely baffles me.

This butterfly lovers flick reminds me or Mulan though. Might check it out.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. It's not like things like this are breaking any molds. Just look at the DVD cover for EVA 1.11. If it sells more manga, and light novels go for it. Great thing about a jacket is one can take it off if one wants.

Back