Speed Racer flops at box-office; woe for live-ac anime films

I was thinking I might see it but so soon after Iron Man and so soon before Indiana Jones, it was bound to flop no matter how good it is.

I first saw the trailer that didn't show him as a kid and even after seeing the others I felt it was the best one.

I'm not suprised really, it looked absolutley shocking when i saw the trailer, okay it might have looked appealing for anyone under 9. The CGI was just terrible, i know its supposed to be flashy and cartoony but it just looked abysmal.

The Wachowski brothers have gone further down in my opinion, why follow up the matrix with this?

Correction, why follow up the Matrix with any of those ****** sequels.

chaos said:
I like V for vendetta as well.... am I the only one?

I thought it was a great film, really enjoyed it, yet didn't credit them with it as they didn't direct it. They produced and adapted the screenplay from the graphic novel.

No surprise there. The DBZ movie looks really stupid, so I won't be seeing that either. I'm hoping Akira and GitS will do well (most likely they won't).
Tasker said:
Have the Warchowski-ski brothers actually made a film other than the first Matrix, that "wasn't" a piece of crap?
What's with the inverted commas? Anyway, V For Vendetta was an excellent movie.

If they made Speed Racer way back when, when Johnny Depp was on board, It would have been a sure fire hit. Simple as. The chances are Akira will do well is fairly high, Leo has gone past the poster-boy phrase for sure and seems to be doing "better" work, hopefully the critics will praise it. ;p

I don't have the slightest how GitS will work, I imagine they'll have to scrap the nudity from the films. I wonder how the rape scene in Akira would work, actually...

I want Dragon Ball to do well, I actually think it looks good. The colour advertisement in JUMP looked great. I think it'll do decent (I've said this before) because its demographic its probably aimed at is roughly the same as the ones whom watched the show as a child.

Speed Racer looked, on the whole, very childish.

I have never heard of the comic, but from what I've heard, it was very old. My theory is that the people that remember the comic, will now maybe be quite old, and, seeing the trailer, will give them a childish stereotypical view of the whole film. Therefore, this will make them feel that if they do go to see it, there will maybe be a lot of children, making them feel, like, well...

Dragon ball and GITS should be a lot more successful. Mainly because they have the potential to hit both the adult and child audiences, not just one, like speed racer.

it was very old, it was very childish. GITS or Akira would not hit the child audience, if they do, I'm not sure I wanna see them =)

As for dragon ball, yep, I think it can hit both audiences.

chaos said:
it was very old, it was very childish. GITS or Akira would not hit the child audience, if they do, I'm not sure I wanna see them =)

I agree. I think GITS and Akira will have to be aimed at a 15 cert to do them any justice.

Just seem speed racer. Visually amazing. No plot. Leave your brain outside, please. Otherwise, very entertaining.

I think the Americans should just leave well alone when it comes to foreign films.
After all, look what they did to The Italian Job and The Lady Killers!

It's a shame the path Hollywood is taking.
It seems they just can't make anything good of thier own, so instead have to use other countries ideas.
Most American films coming out these days are a bit rubbish compared to what they used to make.

In regards to Speed Racer, I've seen trailers and the CGI was just awful.
Surely not even a child would be fooled by it, especially with today's standards.
Personally Speed Racer isn't my kind of film anyway, so I would not have gone to see it.

Come on Hollywood, get your act together!

Yagami said:

I have never heard of the comic, but from what I've heard, it was very old. My theory is that the people that remember the comic, will now maybe be quite old, and, seeing the trailer, will give them a childish stereotypical view of the whole film. Therefore, this will make them feel that if they do go to see it, there will maybe be a lot of children, making them feel, like, well...

Dragon ball and GITS should be a lot more successful. Mainly because they have the potential to hit both the adult and child audiences, not just one, like speed racer.

The Wachowski (forgive the spelling) Brothers did say they wanted to make a film that there nieces and nephews could watch, unlike the Matrix, which was aimed at an older audience...

Please forgive me if this has already been said too, but not many movie go-ers these days will remember/know what Speed Racer was??

I feel that Live-Action version of Akira and Ghost in the Shell will work, because they were a little more mainstream. I do feel, however, that Ghost in the Shell may turn into another Matrix film...

takuhii said:
Yagami said:

The Wachowski (forgive the spelling) Brothers did say they wanted to make a film that there nieces and nephews could watch, unlike the Matrix, which was aimed at an older audience...

Please forgive me if this has already been said too, but not many movie go-ers these days will remember/know what Speed Racer was??

I feel that Live-Action version of Akira and Ghost in the Shell will work, because they were a little more mainstream. I do feel, however, that Ghost in the Shell may turn into another Matrix film...

I agree with you there. Ghost in the shell, though, is very similar to the matrix. I think it will be very similar to the matrix, but yet, unique, because of the two's plot. To not make Ghost in the Shell a matrix-looking movie, would be very strange. I mean, think about the beginning of the first ghost in the shell movie; When the women (Forgot name), jumps down the building and shoots them guys while she is falling, and then, turns that camouflaged suit on. That is just like the matrix, they wouldn't be able to miss it out, as its a main part. So, if they did put it in, it would be VERY similar to the matrix.

I think it was a good choice to have chosen Akira and Ghost in the Shell to make a live action film. Alot of adults, even ones who do not like anime, will know what Akira and Ghost in the Shell is, because it is so big. So, therefore, the only target audience these two aren't reaching, is the children, which, dragon ball should do for them ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep saying to myself that Monster will work. I just hope they don't take out the idea of Tenma being a foreigner living in another country. It really adds to the atmosphere and makes Tenma seem isolated with no one to rely on in such an extreme situation.

Sy said:
I keep saying to myself that Monster will work. I just hope they don't take out the idea of Tenma being a foreigner living in another country. It really adds to the atmosphere and makes Tenma seem isolated with no one to rely on in such an extreme situation.
It does definitely need that, I have a feeling that they may need to change Tenma to American. However, I still think the problem it will face is because of the different ethnicities, I don't think they would cast people wanting them all to be speaking in German, or English with a German accent as it would be rather off-putting but it would also won't take the route of having German language spoken along with subtitles in which can be popular but there is a heavy chance it wouldn't succeed.

It worked in the anime, I have a strange feeling that it would be confusing in the movie.

If they changed the setting to America with an asian actor playing the lead then that could be pulled off pretty well. Germany as the setting created an atmosphere that was meloncholy and unique. The main thing they need to do is keep those feelings in tact.

Think the early seasons of The X-Files when it was filmed in Vancouver, very dark, moody and atmospheric. It can be done.

Back