Speed Racer flops at box-office; woe for live-ac anime films

An American audience won't take to a Asian protagonist as well as they would an American one. I ensure you that. I think a desolate, dark and eerie place can be created anywhere, as long as we have the right people behind the film.

Jayme said:
An American audience won't take to a Asian protagonist as well as they would an American one. I ensure you that.
If they have a somewhat notable supporting cast then I don't see the problem. And afterwords even if it's a great film that flops because America can't accept an asian main character at least we'll still have a great film. They can't un make it after it's already been released.

Anyway Hiro on Heroes seems to be pretty popular and Chow Yun Fat and Jet Li do ok for themselves.

i watched Speed Racer and i enjoyed it 10 times more than Iron Man (which i thought was very crap)
Speed racer had brilliant directing, cleverly edited and the CG is just awsome.
its just the childlike premise of the story that didnt catch the audiences attention, not to mention comming out the relatively same time as Iron Man which caused its demise in the box office.

Ninja Boy! said:
i watched Speed Racer and i enjoyed it 10 times more than Iron Man (which i thought was very crap)
Speed racer had brilliant directing, cleverly edited and the CG is just awsome.
its just the childlike premise of the story that didnt catch the audiences attention, not to mention comming out the relatively same time as Iron Man which caused its demise in the box office.

It's beautiful, isn't it? =) like I said, any fans of the series were not disapointed at all... although, I'm not sure there are many fans of the series in UK / US....

i have actually seen this and i have to say that i think i would have rather poke my eyeballs out with a rusty fork instead of watching it again

I finally went to see this with my daughter last week and there were a total of seven people in the cinema including us two. We quite enjoyed it, but someone brought their five, or six year old child with them and that kid talked through the whole thing. The only thing that kept him quiet was when the roar of the races and the explosions drowned him out. Despicably inconsiderate. :x

Mohawk52 said:
I finally went to see this with my daughter last week and there were a total of seven people in the cinema including us two. We quite enjoyed it, but someone brought their five, or six year old child with them and that kid talked through the whole thing. The only thing that kept him quiet was when the roar of the races and the explosions drowned him out. Despicably inconsiderate. :x

I know the feeling, I always manage to sit in front of the guy who kicks the back of my chair for 90 minutes or has a mobile conversation half-way through the film. Always fun :roll:

Ryo Chan said:
can't mean much though as i was only with chaz when i went to watch iron man

i think cinema is almost dead now

Hey, it's all for the experience! Overpriced popcorn, people talking through the film, losing your ticket, feeling like you've wasted your money.. XD

Honestly though, watching stuff on the big screen will always have appeal. Unless people start building cinema's in their living rooms I think it will endure.

Back