Space Runaway Ideon

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
With fansubs starting to appear, I'm highly tempted to check out Space Runaway Ideon - another vintage mecha series (from Tomino of Gundam fame). It's said that Ideon was the key influence behind Evangelion and with my recent Gundam affliction, I'm being drawn to it :) Anyone else watching, or already seen this?

Ideon?? God, thats something I've got to start watching properly! I watched the first episode a while ago, so I can't judge from that one just yet. Not too sure how giant combining trucks are the inspiration for Evangelion at the moment, but then, I haven't exactly seen the rest of the series. Gah, I'm babbling.

Massively old thread here - but just to reiterate my interest, has anyone seen Ideon? I'm close to checking it out now that the whole franchise has been subbed.

Paul said:
Massively old thread here - but just to reiterate my interest, has anyone seen Ideon? I'm close to checking it out now that the whole franchise has been subbed.

I've seen it. It's okay but Gundam Zeta and SDF Macross are respectively twice as good.

In terms of Eva it would be more correct to say that the Ideon inspired the Evas rather than Space Runaway Ideon inspired NGE. The people who say that Eva is a clone of Ideon are idiots. You could count the number of similarities on one hand. Ideon is far more similar to Macross than anything else.

That's interesting Ark, cheers. I've actually read that the End of Evangelion movie pays homage to the Ideon movie by featuring some almost identical scenes. I've got the first 5 episodes now anyway, so fingers crossed it's up to scratch.

Paul said:
I've actually read that the End of Evangelion movie pays homage to the Ideon movie by featuring some almost identical scenes.

It says that on Wikipedia but it turned out not to be true.

I got about 7 episodes into it, but quickly became bored. I'm barely a fan of First Gundam, but Ideon is a bit of a creative lull for Tomino. The characters are uninteresting, the mecha unexciting, and the show is a step back from 'real robot' to 'super robot'. Interest in Ideon seems to be based on its macabre reputation and its supposed influence on Evangelion. With the fansubbing of Ideon complete, the series has lost its charm as a little-seen oddity, its actual (lack of) quality can be witnessed and one or two supposed facts about the series have been exploded.

I have heard that (similar to First Gundam), the best way to watch Ideon is to watch 'A Contact' and 'Be Invoked' alone, and to not bother with the series. I've also heard that it's supposed to improve after the first 10 or so dull episodes if you do wish to endure the series. I may come back to it someday, but for now, Aura Battler Dunbine and Heavy Metal L-Gaim are priorities on the Tomino road.

kupoartist said:
I got about 7 episodes into it, but quickly became bored. I'm barely a fan of First Gundam, but Ideon is a bit of a creative lull for Tomino. The characters are uninteresting, the mecha unexciting, and the show is a step back from 'real robot' to 'super robot'. Interest in Ideon seems to be based on its macabre reputation and its supposed influence on Evangelion. With the fansubbing of Ideon complete, the series has lost its charm as a little-seen oddity, its actual (lack of) quality can be witnessed and one or two supposed facts about the series have been exploded.

I have heard that (similar to First Gundam), the best way to watch Ideon is to watch 'A Contact' and 'Be Invoked' alone, and to not bother with the series. I've also heard that it's supposed to improve after the first 10 or so dull episodes if you do wish to endure the series. I may come back to it someday, but for now, Aura Battler Dunbine and Heavy Metal L-Gaim are priorities on the Tomino road.

I don't think it's that terrible but like I said it is pretty mediocre compared to Macross and Zeta Gundam. I agree that there was this whole unjustified mystique built up around it by people who had already seen it and claiming that it was a predcessor to Eva of sorts. Although I think that was more part of the backlash against Eva fandom rather than a serious description of Ideon.

Back