SOPA Needs To Be Stopped

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
I'm guessing that the lack of a thread means that the media blackout in the US is doing its job, or some of you don't care, and I don't know which is worse. Anyway, this bill is dangerous and has the potential to affect YOUR internet forever through mass censorship and take downs simply because a website "might" have copyright infringing content. This means big businesses like Google, YouTube, Facebook, Yahoo and MegaUpload can be heavily censored or simply taken off the internet without so much as a court order. Don't take the "it'll never happen" stance. That kind of thinking is what lets big corporations do what they want and SOPA will give them the power to do so. It's better to take counter measures than to do nothing and regret it later. This is China and Iran level stuff. Please be aware that even though this is an American bill, it will affect the internet at an international level, and for all we know, other countries might follow it up.

I'll let Mr Total Biscuit explain it in more detail.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhwuXNv8fJM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhwuXNv8fJM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Had never heard of it, so I assume the blackout is actually pretty effective. Seems pointless to give my opinion on the obvious ("it's bad"), but I will only say that I hope the people fighting against it don't rely on comments such as "No doubt they'll accidentally remove legitimate links, when looking for infringing links" as this type of propaganda is no better than what the megacorps get up to, and badly harms the strength of their position.

I didn't actually realise this was back on the cards, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Last thing I knew a similar bill was defeated, but I guess this is round two... and they are doing a good job of keeping it quiet this time.

Well, to be fair they would probably be doing humanity a huge favour if they shut down facebook and twitter and just about any other kind of "social" network. Let's go back to the days when we were still impressed with the email and kids still used to play outside....

This censorship thing is ******** though

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iBywRYQiZ4M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iBywRYQiZ4M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

vashdaman said:
Let's go back to the days when we were still impressed with the email and kids still used to play outside....

Kids 'playing' outside is one of the problems nowadays. With so much indoor entertainment available, you'd think they'd be having too much fun inside to have time to cause trouble outside.

Unfortunately too many parents these days won't even let their children outside and would rather them sat in front of the TV and computer! When I was little me and my crew would ride everywhere on our lil bikes or play football in the road, annoying the hell out of all the cars that would drive by lol, or we'd secretly go and check out the place we'd heard all the drug dealers on my friends estate used to hang out....actually that last one was kind of dangerous but still, no one ever got hurt too bad.

I remember when one of friends showed me the internet when I as about 11 or 12 and told me you could go on chat rooms and swear and random people, I thought it was the craziest thing ever!

Too many twittering twits or facebook bods these days.

@vashdaman i agree face book is stupid and twatters stupid too.

first time i went on the internet i was amazed i would look up information on dragonball z when i was a kid, infact when ever it was ict people would just go on the internet instead of doing there work games, information, music, ect but these days everyone has the internet i love the internet its my other life

Yeah I remember my IT classes, terrible. My teacher labelled as an idiot because I was terrible with computers (I didn't have one at home at the time), so I decided I had enough and stopped going to her class....come to think of it now, that may have been the turning point at which my school education started on a drastic an inevitable downward spiral...thank you computers...

vashdaman said:
I'm 22, but as you can probably tell I was introduced to the internet (and computers in general) pretty late...
Heh, fair enough. I'm quite surprised that someone of your age doesn't think that Twitter and Facebook are benefits.

vashdaman said:
Yeah I remember my IT classes, terrible. My teacher labelled as an idiot because I was terrible with computers (I didn't have one at home at the time), so I decided I had enough and stopped going to her class....come to think of it now, that may have been the turning point at which my school education started on a drastic an inevitable downward spiral...thank you computers...

You just quit the subject entirely? Didn't you get in trouble? That kind of thing would get you in huge trouble back when I was at school.

Also, don't blame computers, blame the poor attitude of little Vash Damon, an attitude you hopefully have since rid yourself of.

Condescension Levels... Rising.

I think it would depend very much what school you went to. I don't think the teachers at my school could have done much to make the kids who didn't want to be there attend. And they certainly couldn't force them learn when they did. They probably did more to impair everyone else's learning when they were there.

vash, can you stop turning threads into discussion about you please? Also, you admitting to being introduced to the internet late and referring to "the good old days" makes you look like a try hard. No-one is impressed. There are bigger things at stake right now because of this bill than your little personal vendetta against social networking.

Heh, fair enough. I'm quite surprised that someone of your age doesn't think that Twitter and Facebook are benefits.

I can see some benefits, but they aren't that good really, and the disadvantages out weigh them (in my opinion anyway).

You just quit the subject entirely? Didn't you get in trouble? That kind of thing would get you in huge trouble back when I was at school.

Also, don't blame computers, blame the poor attitude of little Vash Damon, an attitude you hopefully have since rid yourself of.

I just stopped going, it wasn't a formal thing or anything...if only that was the only class I stopped attending... I skipped something like 58% of my entire time at secondary school and have the paper work to prove it....unfortunately :( But yeah it is a miracle I didn't get kicked out, nearly did happen though. I do blame myself, but I also blame the education system for failing to imbue me with any form of academic confidence.

vash, can you stop turning threads into discussion about you please? Also, you admitting to being introduced to the internet late and referring to "the good old days" makes you look like a try hard. No-one is impressed. There are bigger things at stake right now because of this bill than your little personal vendetta against social networking.

Haha, fair enough, sorry bro. Although I don't see why admitting my former ignorance of the net makes look like a try hard, what am trying hard at? Looking like an idiot?

*sigh* the good ol days...
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4bhKB1E6iY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4bhKB1E6iY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back