Solty Rei

harkins

Adventurer
I’ve seen a few trailers for this recently which have pricked my interest. They don’t give much away, so can anyone here tell me a little bit about it?

Got up to episode 6 on fan-subs last year and really liked it, found the characters likeable and the story twisted and turned enough to stop it getting boring.

I love the innocent angle series like this use, in this case Solty Rei (names after a Jazz singer the guy who takes her in likes) there are many stories all intertwined here, a father who lost his daughter, bounty hunters, theives (kinda a cross between the girl theives in Wild Arms and Carmen 99 in Gun X Sword), a robo-girl with no memories and countless relationships all rolled into one series

Watched the first 2 episodes on fansub a while back, but it just seemed too generic to spike my interest. Solid enough entertainment in it's own way though - bounty hunters, cyborgs, big guns, etc. Just not my kinda thing, I guess.

Ryo Chan said:
give me 2 days and i'll let you know, i'm watching a few eps before i decided to buy it but yes does look good
Have you watched any of this yet? I'll probably get it anyway but I was wondereing what you thought as you seem to have enjoyed a few other shows that I've liked making your opinion quite valued.

(That's not to say that I don't value all opinions given on here).

I’ve now watched the first disc of Solty Rei, featuring a very generous 6 episodes, and I’m really rather disappointed. It’s got decent animation (typical Gonzo fare) and one or two interesting characters but the story, after six episodes, has taken little or no shape and is actually looking very episodic.

It also has several other minor problems such as Solty saying little other the ‘uh’ and ‘um’ for the first two episodes which got a little irksome and an amazing number of incidents in which someone dives through the air to push someone else out of the way of a bullet, vehicle or anything else that can be fired, thrown or dropped onto someone.

The biggest fault is an awful episode (5?) that takes place in a public baths. There is no fan service as you might expect (not that I wanted fan service) but just a contrived and pointless story that stretches belief. And stretching belief in anime takes some doing!

Still, I think that I’ll stick with it for another volume but if it doesn’t pick up in the next few episodes, look out for it in the marketplace thread. But I don’t suppose anyone will want it then.

Back