So Whats The Next "I Can't Believe This Got An Uncut BBFC Rating" Anime That Has No UK Release Yet

I dont oppose the BBFC as they are guide I do oppose the you have to pay them to legally release a product they should at least subsidise the cost somehow as if products dont sell the BBFC costs just add to companies loss'

I wasn't really wanting to drag this point out or anything, but I've been thinking about it, and I feel it's relevant to the Paranoia Agent discussion, so...

Like I was saying before: speaking as someone who's no stranger to the kind of thoughts that the BBFC are claiming that that scene encourages, I would argue that viewing it would have the opposite effect — of offering a clever alternative viewpoint of the horror of what I was considering and mocking the (I'd like to hope) sheer lunacy of it all.

Put simply, I think that scene has the power to actually help people in that situation. But, no, the BBFC, in their all-knowing wisdom, decided it must be cut.

This is why I find the censorship of it so offensive and incomprehensible. Personally.

I just realized I now know more about the BBFC than about the classification board over here in the Netherlands (Kijkwijzer). So I dug into it a bit and it turns out they not only classify audiovisual material, but also music. The main difference is that with Kijkwijzer the parties can submit the classification themselves using a questionnaire, which seems a lot more scalable and cost-efficient. On the other, it's probably easier to skew the results if one wants to.

In any case, I think a classification system is still useful. Not only for ensuring day-time television airs appropriate content or ensuring kids don't end up watching/buying a gory horror movie, but mainly for parents/guardians to help determine whether or not they can show something to their kids.

Allowing such a classification board to mandate cuts, however, is a different story. In both the Paranoia Agent and Code Geass cases, I don't see a (strong) reason for the particular cuts. Personally I would say anything goes to ensure artistic freedom is maintained. The only exception would be if the material is inherently illegal. In which case mandating a cut would have the same effect as rejecting the work and letting a re-submission with the cuts made pass.

Well, in this instance I myself am going to defer to someone who puts it much more comprehensively than I can: Thought Police Can't Protect Real Children
Interesting read, though quite a few points seem to about the impracticality of enforcing it and it becoming a legal precedence. While valid concerns, that alone isn't a very strong argumentation IMHO. His other points are pretty solid and I mostly agree with them. The thing that always strikes me as odd, is the inconsistency between how fictional depiction of minors in sexual situations and depiction of (extreme) violence/gore are treated. In both cases the real-world equivalents are illegal and it's debated whether or not they actually influence people, yet violence and gore seem to be no problem in fiction. I can't really stomach either and do sometimes wonder how people enjoy such content, but ultimately I see no reason why one should be illegal if not also the other.

Some upcoming titles for the BBFC Russian roulette (from the schedule):

A Thousand and One Nights

Cleopatra: Queen of Sex

Seven Mortal Sins

I doubt there will ever be a UK release of the rest of Fate/kaleid liner at this point - though the first season was rated 12, the loli antics get dodgier in later seasons and I don't think Anime Limited wants to risk it.

Some upcoming titles for the BBFC Russian roulette (from the schedule):

A Thousand and One Nights

Cleopatra: Queen of Sex

Seven Mortal Sins

I doubt there will ever be a UK release of the rest of Fate/kaleid liner at this point - though the first season was rated 12, the loli antics get dodgier in later seasons and I don't think Anime Limited wants to risk it.
Haven't seen any of them, but I've heard belladona of sadness, thousand and one night and Cleopatra are an infamous trinity with similar content of rape and sexual violence but limited has belladona. I'm thinking the other two will get the monmasume treatment and be assumed as strictly adult titles

doubt there will ever be a UK release of the rest of Fate/kaleid liner at this point - though the first season was rated 12, the loli antics get dodgier in later seasons and I don't think Anime Limited wants to risk it.

Have to wonder if Anime Limited got UK right direct for S1

Then S2 and S3 are Sentai rights, MVM usually get Sentai titles, rather than AL

S4 licensed by Crunchyroll

Could be wrong though. Either way I've asked a few times if Prisma is getting a S2 UK release vs AL... Answer was no

Yes, poor puppy! Bullies got what they deserved! OK, maybe a bit harsh.
Interesting actually that the BBFC don't seem to mind people seeing kids exploded into a bloody mess, with their headless and limbless corpses strewn around the room in the aftermath, they clearly don't believe that will encourage viewers to go out and brutally murder children in quite the same way seeing children hang themselves will make viewers commit suicide, or seeing them in states of semi-undress will obviously turn them into paedophiles.

Not sure how much difference (if any) it makes in their ratings process, but having fairly recently watched through Elfen Lied for the first time, almost all of the violence in that show came across as, for lack of a better word, "cartoony". Almost comically so in spots.

Elfen Lied is should be an 18 really because of the flashback seen with 13 year old.
eh? I thought they were younger. I thought the flashback was further back than that, one thing that clue me in is the younger some children are, the more unkind they can be. you'd think an orphanage of 13 year olds were mature enough only to bully everyone else, not each other

Back