Smokin' Aces - Reviewed

McIcy

Mushi-shi
Just got back from watching Smokin' Aces at the cinema

Official Site

PLOT
A dying mob boss takes out a $1 million contract on the life of his former protégé, a Vegas magician turned gangster who has agreed to testify against the mob. The FBI attempts to protect their key witness as an array of hit men and women descend on Lake Tahoe in a race to take the magician out.

According to Nuts magazine this is 'The most violent film of the year and its only January' and I am inclined to agree, the movie has so much violence in ityou wouldn't believe it.

The characters cracked me up especially the Hillbilly styled hitmen. The body count is huge in this movie as everyone is fair game. Especially as everyone is either out to claim the same target and won't let anyone else stand in their way.

The blood level is huge in this movie especially with hitmen using 50. cal sniper rifles, chainsaws, guns and machettes.

I have to say I was really impressed by this movie, an all star cast, an amazing plot, and an ending that you think you see coming but with a real twist.

4/5 in my opinion.[/quote]

Guyver 0 said:
i waaaannnnttt to see this so badly oh so badly. lucky i have my new job then

Trust me you really need to see it, so cool.

Little Spoiler
especially when a guy is shot in such a way that he ends up sitting on his own chainsaw

BIG SPOILER - Or Affleck getting drive-by'ed at the start, he really doesn't last long in this one

Last edited by a moderator:
lol Ben Affleck Getting wasted so early in this movie I've got to see it for this, can't stand Ben Affleck, except in Dogma.

Lupus Inu said:
lol Ben Affleck Getting wasted so early in this movie I've got to see it for this, can't stand Ben Affleck, except in Dogma.

You should watch Phantoms, Ben Affleck is good in that (its mentioned in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back a few times)

I like Ben Affleck, am I the only one?

I saw this film last Saturday and I'd say that it's an okay action flick but it has plenty of plot holes and the dialogue was told at a speed that didn't allow for the concerntration required.

There wasn't much character development either, or any real character history, so the best you had to deal with was the mixed efforts of the assassin's and FBI as they tore each other up through most of the film.

I wouldn't say that the violence was that bad either; it wasn't that bloody at least and most kills came from gunshots to the body so there was no real gore factor.

I've seen better but I've also seen worse: 3/5

Back