Sky Blue (aka Wonderful Days)

Hovis!

Vampire Ninja
I'm sure this film will polarize many of you (being South Korean rather than Japanese being an obvious point) but did anyone enjoy this film?

I confess that I did, even though the story, characters and setting were unoriginal.

If nothing else I adored the visuals of the film, and I like the lead male character's coat.

Best scene has to be the destruction of the oil rig. That was quite jaw-dropping. :)

Loved it, the story is immense, the action is top notch and the animatiion quality blew me away. The ending is really powerful and the back story of friendship and betrayal gives the whole film a real bittersweet feel to it

I enjoyed it more the second time I watched it, my first impressions were 'ooh that's perty!' but the story seemed weak, 2nd time around I enjoyed the story aspect more tho it is a little rough around the edges

i enjoyed it too. however i just wished that the DVD also contained the original Korean dub, as the ENG dub sounded a but fuzzy to me.
i must give some credit to the makers as it took them a painstaking 7 years to make it. and it turned out quite good imo.

Ninja Boy! said:
i enjoyed it too. however i just wished that the DVD also contained the original Korean dub, as the ENG dub sounded a but fuzzy to me.

I can't remember where it was, but I remember when I first heard about 'Sky Blue' I wanted as much information about it as I could and I remember in one review I read that the english dub was it's original recording (a la Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) and never had a South Korean voice over.

Normally I'd be dubious of this but the UK official DVD release was from Tartan (a very good release it was too I might add) and they very rarely (never in my expereinces) use dubs - they always use the original langauge with subtitles, so for once I think there might be truth in those words, though I'm sure one of you will prove me wrong.

Still, if on the off chance there was an original South Korean dub its very odd that Tartan wouldn't include it... :?

It's English only because it was re-edited for Western audiences by the original creators. So while there is a Korean version, it's a different cut to the one we got so they can't be overlayed directly.

I thought it was OK. I think it was just the story which I thought was lacking I guess. Animation was a touch inconsistent here and there which didn't help the film flow very well, but that's just me being picky!

I found it cheesy, I have it on UMD for my PSP and it was interesting but nothing special at all. It had potential but the story and such was just so lame at times I wanted to just fall asleep.

I remember preferring the Korean language version but i saw that so long ago I can't remember why.

The English dub is average, a middling plot that reminds me of Spirits Within and animation that suffers because it aims to be cutting edge, but it was made years ago so it's no longer cutting edge. It does look good but it still doesn't beat some of the best cell animation work or scenes from Innocence. This would be fine if it had a decent story anyway, but it's sci-fi by numbers. Blah.
I'm sure there's more to the Wonderful Days cut but it could just be my rose-tinted imagination.

Ushio said:
It's English only because it was re-edited for Western audiences by the original creators. So while there is a Korean version, it's a different cut to the one we got so they can't be overlayed directly.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated. :)

Ushio said:
I thought it was OK. I think it was just the story which I thought was lacking I guess. Animation was a touch inconsistent here and there which didn't help the film flow very well, but that's just me being picky!

I agree completely here. Thought the animation (or more particulary the artwork) was generally very good, but inconsistent.

I also agree that after watching Innocence there's a obvious difference in how cell drawn animation and CGI animation / backgrounds blended together.

Quite like the film though, nothing special on the story / character / setting area but was entertaining and impressive.

And I also thought it was like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (which I confess to having a soft-spot for - I won't allow a slating from critics and negative mass opinion dictate what I will like and dislike hwhahahahaha! :wink: :) :D :lol: ).

me and my gf thought that it was a great movie, ok the plot was unoriginal but the sheer animation was amazing and we found that you can really like the characters, on a side note im half way through watching it now as i post this!

Numta said:
me and my gf thought that it was a great movie, ok the plot was unoriginal but the sheer animation was amazing and we found that you can really like the characters, on a side note im half way through watching it now as i post this!

Managed to get my girlfriend to watch it a few weeks ago and although she isn't an anime fan she really got into this movie and thought the characters were 'cute'

Numta said:
Managed to get my girlfriend to watch it a few weeks ago and although she isn't an anime fan she really got into this movie and thought the characters were 'cute'

Did she like the lead character's coat? :lol:

Sorry, coat fetish! :wink: :) :D :lol:

Got & watched this today, would have been better if I'd paid less for it... But, not bad at all.

Looks like a mix of CG & Cell animation (not watched the extras yet) from what I can tell & it works well; probably spent most of the seven years animating that coat ;)

Back