Simulwatch - Gunsmith Cats/Riding Bean/Bubblegum Crisis/Crash/AD Police/Parasite Dolls [all complete]

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Yeah AD Police is getting an SD BD from Rightstuf I believe and it isn’t too pricey either.

Neil.T

Guild Member
For the record, I've corrected my earlier post. I meant to say that Naoyuki Onda was also the character designer for Ergo Proxy, not Texhnolyze.

I was looking the latter up on MAL to check for any Onda involvement, but, of course, the designs for that show were the work of Yoshitoshi ABe (apparently his preferred romanisation), of Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei fame. I just plain forgot that fact.

Reactions: WMD

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Parasite Dolls ep1 - Rozen Boomer

37EE88B6-2235-476B-8189-04431A481E7E.jpeg

Tea for everyone!

Whilst I don't think PD ever quite achieves that 'this one goes up to 11' feeling that the AD Police OVA did, it does bring some good ideas to the table and I think is generally a bit more sophisticated than I remember, even if it doesn't always manage to capitalise on that. Perhaps this shouldn't come as a complete surprise; the script is credited to Chiaki J. Konaka, one of the main writers on classic headscratcher Serial Experiments Lain. The reveal that 'thrill kill' VR divers are using the berserk boomers as avatars was a nice touch (somewhat predicting the later graphic novel Surrogates?), but I'm surprised that the series shies away from showing Bazz/Buzz's confrontation with his 'wife'.

Buzz’s ’no guns’ policy certainly makes him a refreshingly different kind of protagonist, given what the setting is like, but the unceremonious way he leaves his android in a heap on the floor doesn’t make him massively endearing. There’s no obvious sign of a struggle, but perhaps it's left to our interpretation whether she actually attacked him or whether he just deactivates her pre-emptively to 'put her out of her misery', assuming there was no possibility of a cure. My recollection of the show in general is pretty hazy - I'd forgotten that there was ever anything wrong with the house boomer, instead having it in mind that the final scene was supposed to be Buzz learning to face the fact that his wife is gone, and he can no longer pretend that this machine is her.

In any case, this episode definitely gets across the ‘boomers as a commodity’ element of the setting.

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Parasite Dolls ep2 - Don't Look Now

pd1.jpg

pd2.jpg

kek.

This was an interesting episode, but it feels like they've tried to squeeze a lot into a very short space of time and, for me, it didn't quite come together as satisfactorially as it could. In the end, I actually had to watch this one twice before I felt like I really got a handle on it (the first time, I missed Eve’s master/handler/pimp’s comment about her having someone else’s emotions copied into her), but even at that, I don’t think Eve’s demise at the end meant much to me. She has an almost vampiric arc that sees her apparently gaining humanity as she has more sexual encounters, and her visions of the little girl are creepy, but it doesn’t seem to add up anything that carries emotional weight

I do like the atmosphere of this one though. It has a strong giallo vibe (someone been watching Perfect Blue?), with the emphasis on dreaming and surreal fantasy elements that certainly allows for some striking visual moments - particularly the phallic snake monster emerging from the cat. It also struck me that Michaelson is the only one to show any reaction to the sight of the mangled boomer at the start. While it’s easy to say the AD Police OVA is voyeuristic, it does seem to find a sense of horror in its scenes of violent death. Parasite Dolls treats the destruction of a boomer as something jarringly matter of fact. There is a point being made being made here, I’m sure, but I’m not certain the series gains a lot by making us so complicit in leering at broken bodies, even artificial ones. Maybe my thoughts here are being coloured by something from the third episode.

Perhaps by virtue of having watched it through twice and having more time to scrutinise things, Genom sending this massively sophisticated cyber monster out to randomly kill android sex workers, in the hope of finding Eve seems like ridiculous overkill. With all their resources and influence, would it really be so hard for them to make her disappear?

I also kind of don't get what Michaelson and Angel see in Buzz, who now appears to be a low-key harem protagonist.

Reactions: WMD

Neil.T

Guild Member
Catching up on some bits and pieces again. 🙂

Parasite Dolls ep2 - Don't Look Now

pd1.jpg

pd2.jpg

kek.
More language-related observations from me here. In the Japanese dialogue, our man in the Prof's pictures is saying "Papetto Masutaa? Fuzaketa namae da na."

That verb, fuzakeru in its present tense, is typically used to accuse someone of messing around, or perhaps playing a prank. That line would therefore transliterate into something like "Puppet Master? It's a messing-around name, isn't it?"

Fittingly, take a look at this preceding screenshot:
IMG_20200201_132520571.jpg
The scrolling white text in the upper middle of the monitor begins:
"In years gone by, pranksters had to do things the hard way".

The second paragraph reads:
"Nowadays, however, all you need to dish out naughtiness is an email account, possibly a Web site and an unhealthy measure of sociopathic tendencies. Without question, the Internet is the medium du jour for wags."

And the third begins:
"Of course, not all hoaxes were created equal."

The parts that were readable off my TV screen are all in perfect English. I wonder where the text was culled from. 🤔

Moving on to Gunsmith Cats, I really can't add anything to what's already been covered in this thread, but as a motor sport enthusiast, I will point out one little detail from the opening sequence:
IMG_20200205_133037612.jpg
It's a technique used for downshifting while braking at the same time called "heel and toe". Although, in this case, it's more like "high heel and toe". 😅

And to end on...
Gunsmith Cats Ep 3

I'll also need to check and see if the Japanese version specifically namechecks The Terminator
Just for reference's sake, it does indeed — in the very same scene at the start of the episode when Roy is filling Rally and May in on the details on Radinov.