Silent Hill

The silent Hill series is now a film..lets hope it does better than most. I've never been a great fan of Silent Hill, its not been the greatest survival horror i played..but its still decent....but it would be interesting to see how the movie turns out.

The movie looks pretty good, its directed by a pretty good director, he did a movie called Brotherhood of the Wolf which was pretty good so I have high hopes for it.

Capuchin said:
I do like the trailer.
Is it finally good film-of-the-game time?

Halo also sounds promising...

That’s what I was thinking, it does look like Silent Hill and Halo are going to be the first wave of good film-of-the-game movies.
I remember hearing ages ago that Konami didn’t want a bad movie to be associated with the Silent Hill series so they had some say in the production of film. It’s the first time I’ve seen a trailer to a video game movie and said “That looks exactly like the gameâ€

Capuchin said:
I do like the trailer.
Is it finally good film-of-the-game time?

Halo also sounds promising...

Did anyone see Alone in the Dark?

No. Alone in the Dark was directed by Uwe Boll. In case you don't know who he is, he's pretty infamous for making hideously bad game-to-movie ports, and making money off them because of some weird German tax law loopholes.

from Wikipedia:
When adapting a video game into a movie, Boll intends to stay true to the character and the atmosphere of a game. However, in order to meet the goal of appealing to a world audience, he will change the plot, environment, and anything else he deems necessary. For example Alone in the Dark was criticized for departing from the video game's survival-horror style (the original game was set in New England in the beginning of the 20th century and featured a detective trapped in a haunted Victorian house) to a more action-oriented one (the movie is set in a modern/sci-fi megalopolis, and features a super-powered detective with assault rifles). These deviations from the source material tend to irritate fans of the original video game the movie is based on, as well as those who work with Boll to produce the movies.

Boll has made statements comparing himself to directors such as Sergio Leone and David Lynch.

Boll's movies, particularly his video game adaptations, are frequently panned by movie critics. As of January 24, 2006, all three of Boll's video game adaptations appeared on IMDb's Bottom 100 list, a list based on IMDb visitor's rankings of the movie. House of the Dead is consistently ranked in the bottom 20 (at #14), Alone in the Dark was ranked at #20, and BloodRayne was ranked at #19 having received over 2,000 votes despite being in theatres for only a few months. [6].

One oft-cited review of Alone in the Dark, by Rob Vaux, sarcastically states that the movie should make all other "bad" movie directors feel better in comparison: "It's okay," they'll tell themselves. "I didn't make Alone in the Dark." [7]

[edit]
House of the Dead
Fans of the series sometimes claim that Boll strayed too much from the source material, as nothing in the movie could be remotely connected to the actual game series despite the movie being a prequel to the events in the game (except for a subtle game reference in the end of the movie). Also, many fans think that a lot of the gimmick imagery used made the movie more comical than it was intended to be.

[edit]
Alone in the Dark
Blair Erickson, a writer of a treatment for Alone in the Dark, has written a highly critical account of his experience working with Boll. It includes allegations that Boll blatantly ripped off prior movies, and requests to add elements to the story that were completely opposite the tone of the source material. Blair's script was ultimately not chosen, and Uwe went with another script.

Basically, he doesn't care what the game is like, he's just going to make it crap anyway. He makes his money off the aforementioned tax dodge.

It was once suggested that he was going to be directing a Metal Gear Solid movie, but Hideo Kojima moved so fast to squash that rumour it was funny:

Hideo Kojima said:
"Absolutely not! I don't know why Uwe Boll is even talking about this kind of thing. We've never talked to him. It's impossible that we'd ever do a movie with him."

Says it all really. :mrgreen:

Its quite funny that people will give any crappy film maker the rights just for money. It would be the worst day in gaming history if that d*** made a film of MGS. On another note the Halo film should be getting under way soon. Peter 'One Ring' Jakson is being the executive produce so I don't think that'll be a bad movie.

Aah, thanks subedii.
I've heard Uwe Boll bandied about in Penny Arcade but never bothered connecting him, Alone in the Dark and House of the Dead (let alone Bloodrayne, I did know it was made into a film but somehow managed to almost completely remove that fact from my memory). I suppose I was never that interested in the films in that way that there is a collective unconscious concerning the knowledge that some films are just pants.

I'm almost tempted to see these now, I previously thought that Paul Anderson was king of licensed garbage.

Damn, i'm going to have to get a PSP now. Silent hill (1 and 3) are one of my favourite games.
As for the movie... i want to be hopeful and the trailer looks like it has captured the feel of the games i honestly can't say that somewhat pesimistic about it.

I only have Silent Hill 3 but I went to see the movie tonight and it is really good, tbh i thought it would be crap but it is very good, highly recommended.

I caught the film version of Silent Hill earlier today so here's my two penneth. ;) Basically, if you're a fan of the games you'll adore it, aside from the odd tweak here and there it's an amazingly faithful adaptation, right down to the ash falling from the skies to the plethora of flesh crawling fiends that stalk Silent Hill's grimy streets. On a cinematic level, however, it's an unmitigated failure; overlong, horribly paced, atrociously acted and worst of all it's not in the least bit scary. Having said that it's still a damn sight better than many a videogame adaptation I've seen, but, as I pointed out above, more one for the die-hard fans than your casual cinemagoer.

Have to agree with Paranoia Agent in parts. As an adaptaion it's faithful to the game and manages to capture lots of the feel of the game, but regular punters or non fans many not enjoy it as much as a fan like me. Don't think it was as bad as Paranoia Agent made out for non fans, it could have been better edited, but it wasn't that bad. Thought there were scary parts, Pryamid head in front of the church, the starting alley scene, and not to mention the scariest thing of all Sean Bean's accent.
Just wondering if they'll put multiple ending on the DVD like they have in the game would love it if they made a UFO ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moving away from the film (which is one of the most polarized films regarding opinion I've expereinced for a long, long time) but I adore the video game series. The best remains the first in my opinion, and then the third, with the second and fourth in joint last position.

Back to the film, I enjoyed it on some levels and not others. As a visual film I thought it was great, as a horror film it was tepid.

Still, I liked it more than most and less than some, but how much was down to my attraction to Rose Da Silva / Radha Mitchell's skirt and boot wearing "heroine" I don't know. ;-)

Still, at least it was better than 28 Days Later... :lol:

By the way, on You Tube there's this 18 / 19 part parody serial (using actual game content from Silent Hill 2) called 'Noisy Hill'.

Anyone who's a fan of the series, I implore you to watch them. Very, very funny (all the more so because the guy who did them knew the source material inside out). :)

Back