Shuffle!

Nyu

Pokémon Master
Right, Just finished episode 24 and im torn, I really am.

Overall Shuffle! for me was an OK series, coming from a Hentai game i started watching with some notions of the fan service galore and no redeeming qualities what-so-ever but i was gladly proven wrong. The overall quality of the show i felt was very good, i'm talking production wise here i'll get to the story in a minute. The animation was well done, some of the scenes i've seen looked fantastic and over time i've noticed some of the extra touches they put into the background action, things you wouldn't normally notice if you weren't looking for them. The character designs are typical by todays standard but some were done nice, i especially liked Primula and the Fathers. They were done very well. Another thing i liked was the little arrow that came in whenever a character was talking off screen, that was a nice touch that i haven't seen elsewhere.

I enjoyed the soundtrack quite alot actually, it was mixed and the range of songs was enough to hold my interest. I have a keen ear for music and the amount of instruments and styles was actually impressive. The opening and ending songs were fitting and a couple of the better tunes i've heard in recent tymes. The symphony score was also decent and added the right undertone for the scenes.

Now i move onto the story, I'm going to look at this in two parts and i feel this is important for my point later on in the story.

With the first half of the show the story was actually interesting and funny. For the first ten episodes or so i was infatuated with the comedy and some of the scenarios. The protection forces were great for a laugh, especially when they came out of no where. Also when Sia whacked her dad with a chair, everytime it was slapstick and you just couldn't help but laugh. The comedy writings of the earlier episodes were nicely done and worked with the whole demon harem thing that was going on, i would include the Primula story in this too. While it was still considered drama it holds nothing to the stuff we see later on, And that leads me onto my next point.

In the later episodes of Shuffle! things tend to get a bit more serious with a slow transition between the comedy and drama. Once it's sunk it's teeth in though it rips your heart out like nothing else. This show is a bastard for doing this, with the drama that happens (i'm going to go over that later on not in this post) they are really going to destroy anything that was setup in the first half of the show. It would be better if we were completley disconnected from the characters but by the time this starts to happen you arent, the drama keeps going right until the last episode (Spoiler post for later on)

Now after all this has happened i can safely say that the comedy is great and the drama is extremeley tear jerking. Both aspects of this show are done actually very well, but when they put them together they just don't work. For me i expected Shuffle! to be a light hearted Harem with a small touch of drama. They did manage to do this with the Primuls arc and everything around that time such as Sia and Nerine fighting for Rin's love. The second half of the show did carry some very serious drama and takes on some dark emoitions and feelings, but again they do it well.

If they split the comedy and drama into thier own shows they could easily work and you would easily get more enjoyment out of them. My biggest problem was that the drama completley wrecked all the fun and happyness that happened and seriously messed around with the characters. The show was just setup to be too light hearted and i don't think that i as a viewer was ready to see characters turned into that.

One thing that this show does excel in for me is character development. Even after all the funny moments and heart ache in the last ten minutes they somehow manage to show that the characters have changed over what's happened throughout the series. Which many anime can fall short on. My favourite character of the series, Primula, is a prime example of this. Over the episodes thats in we see her go from a silent, depressed and lonely child evolve into a cheerful kid enjoying life. If theres one thing i can take away from this show is that, seeing Primula develop. As the series went on i felt fuzzy inside when i seen her laugh or play games etc, it was very satisfying to watch.

There's tons more for me to cover, but i'm out of puff right now.

I have a lot of issues with SHUFFLE! but I'll be brief.

The animation is average at best. Every so often I'd notice an inconsistency. Typically, the best animated parts were the fan-service scenes. Towards the end the animation quality drops and at the end of the last episode, it gets rather bad. The story is rather typical for a harem, but at least it's not poor. I try not to watch too many harem because, let's face it, harem content doesn't exactly make for an inspiring story.

My main issue is with the characters.

Kaede - She goes through the entire series taking so much crap from Rin, I'm not surprised he thought of her as a doormat. Even when Asa (finally) notices she's having problems, Kaede still reverts back to her usual doormat self and Asa let's her love Rin "from afar". Frankly, I'm glad Kaede went psycho. It made for such a better twist. She should have stabbed that idiot Rin though.

Nerine and Sia - Both are given something that they can't do but Rin "loves" them anyway. They are given identical plots (split personality/two souls/whatever you want to call it). Nerine never meant anything to Rin and Sia got dumped for reasons I can't even fathom. If any of the girls deserved to get what they wanted, it was these two.

Rin - Idiot. Pure and simple. Like a regular harem he treats the girls equally for a while, but when Rin and Sia start going out they think that letting the other girls have a chance is more fair. That is leading them on. Then he starts going out with Asa. Okay, fine. They wanted to add a twist. However, he just completely ignores Kaede and only notices her state of insanity/depression when she attacks Asa. He continues to ignore Kaede afterward and decides to move out to leave a mentally unstable girl on her own. He doesn't resolve his issues with Kaede and that's about it. He's either selfish, or a sociopath. Take your pick.

Asa - What kind of friend lies about how they feel about someone their friend likes and starts to go out with them but ignore the mental state of their friend? What kind of idiot refuses to use magic because it would make their mother cry, despite the fact having her die would make her mother cry a whole lot more?. Asa; that's who.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same feelings here, I loved some eps, especially the early on ones but later in the series I found myself wanting to just fast forward through them.

I also got bored of everyones 'love you, hate you' storylines they just felt never ending and when they did they left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Well, if I were Rin, I would of chosen Asa anyways. Seems like the kind of girl I like in personality.

I liked it. I wanted to get the PS2 (Non-hentai) game "On the Stage". *Sigh*
Anyways, I just didn't see why Sia couldn't work things out by incorporating everyone in the God's Polygamous society... then all would have a piece of the Rin-chan. XD

I would say the stories (when they got serious) were above average at at times had shock value. The animation was something I liked, though most would call it average in this day-n'-age. As for characters, at least they were all different, as most dating games should have. I cheer when Sia goes all WWE on her dad.

I'm buying the series (even though I've watched it twice already...), so I think it's worth a gander.

Maxon said:
I have a lot of issues with SHUFFLE! but I'll be brief.

The animation is average at best. Every so often I'd notice an inconsistency. Typically, the best animated parts were the fan-service scenes. Towards the end the animation quality drops and at the end of the last episode, it gets rather bad. The story is rather typical for a harem, but at least it's not poor. I try not to watch too many harem because, let's face it, harem content doesn't exactly make for an inspiring story.

The shading and character movements in the last episode were dire.

What i was expecting to happen and the impression i got from the first block of episodes was say something like Tenchi Muyo! or Love Hina. With more emphisis on comedy than the nitty gritty drama. I thought things like the Protection forces and Sia or Nerine blowing them up would be a recurring thing and one of the shows gimmicks. By the way does anyone know who the old creepy guy was behind the forces? He's in the last episode too but i still don't have a clue what he has to do with anything.

I thought that Sia would have been the main runner for it, i don't even know why Nerine is in the show. Rin is by far the biggest prat i've seen in a while, the whole second half of the show i hated him. He started to redeem hismelf in episode 22 but after that i just lost any repsect that i once had for him.

also slitting his wrists, what the hell was that all about

Chaz said:
I would say the stories (when they got serious) were above average at at times had shock value.

They did have shock value but i didn't think they tied in with the show. If it was a drama series i would have enjoyed it more, but it was nothing i was expecting from the previous episodes and even after the Primula arc.

Nyu said:
That was to force Asa to use her overwelming magic, so she didn't die. Nothing motivates more that loosing something/one important.

Chaz said:
Nyu said:
That was to force Asa to use her overwelming magic, so she didn't die. Nothing motivates more that loosing something/one important.

Yeah but ouch that had to hurt

Blade678 said:
I hope these DVDs come out in the UK because it's been a while since I last watched it.

It will probably come out here sometime, Funimation have licensed it.

http://funimation.com/shuffle/

FUNimation Entertainment has acquired the 24-episode Shuffle anime series from Kadokawa. Shuffle follows Tsuchimi Rin, who is a high school student attending the National Verbena Academy. He has a pretty normal life and always spends time with his childhood friends Fuyo Kaeda and Midoriba Itsuki. That is until one day two beautiful girls transfer in to his class, one a demon and one a god. A true war of the worlds ensues as these women vie for his affection.

Shuffle is set for release from FUNimation in Fall 2007.

I hope it will but seeing as England is still lacking Shana and FMP: TSR. I don't have much hope that a Harem anime will make it here no matter how good it is but I guess I can hope.

Back