Shojuro Yamauchi Passes Away

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Yes...another one T_T

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... asses-away
Writer/director Akitaro Daichi reported on his Twitter account on Wednesday that key animator Shojuro Yamauchi had passed away on Tuesday. The two creators had worked together on Prince Mackaroo (Ojarumaru). Another writer/director, Sakichi Sato, had reported on his Twitter account earlier on Wednesday that another "legendary anime director" had passed away in addition to Satoshi Kon.

Yamauchi worked on dozens of anime works as a key animator — the artist who draws the key frames for the other artists to model their frames in an animated sequences. His many works include Conan, the Boy in Future, Dagger of Kamui, Lupin III: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon, Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo. After Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, he worked on several Studio Ghibli films including Isao Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies and Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

He also served as animation director on One Pound Gospel, Prince Mackaroo, Sherlock Hound, and Kiteretsu Daihyakka. As recently as last year, he was still drawing frames for Mainichi Kaasan and Kawa no Hikari.

A second obituary... sad times. I'll not pretend I know his contributions very well, but the list of the titles he was involved in speak volumes. Will put one or two of those titles on my list of films to watch this weekend.

Can't say I'm as directly familiar with Shojuro Yamauchi as Satoshi Kon but I'm certainly familiar with the anime he was involved in, so respects where they're due.

R.I.P.

RIP. A sad loss. Worked on some good anime - The best Lupin III film (The Castle of Cagliostro) as well as Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away.

Back